1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bad to downshift in auto?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MontanaTaco, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Oct 9, 2010 at 9:40 AM
    MontanaTaco

MontanaTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Colter
    Relocated to Albany, NY
    Vehicle:
    14 DCLB Sport
    OME lift
    Is it bad to shift down with an auto to help slow down? I know manuals do this all the time I'm wondering if its bad for the auto.

2. Oct 9, 2010 at 9:45 AM
    jdtemple

jdtemple Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area CA
    Vehicle:
    08 DBLCAB LB TRD Sport
    Lift & Tires, in cab power outlets, Locking Bed Boxes, K&N
    It's cheaper and easier to replace brake pads, than a clutch or transmission.

With that said, I would do it to control my speed going down hill or when hauling. Using your Auto transmission to slow you down all the time isn't needed, just follow a little further back.

3. Oct 9, 2010 at 9:45 AM
    jpmorrisvb

jpmorrisvb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2014 Barcelona Red TRD Off-Road PreRunner
    Clazzio seat covers, KB Voodoo Powder Coated Tailgate Cap, OEM running boards, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, 35% Tinted windows, EGR window vents, color matched door handles and tail gate lift, WeatherTech FloorLiners, OEM bed mat, sound dampening on rear wall and rear doors, on anytime foglight mod
    I do it myself from time to time to assist in braking. While in traffic, if there is sudden stopping in front of me I'll do it.

I am aware that there are certain parameters .... knowing not to go too low at certain speeds.

To the best of my knowledge the electronics will prevent you from damaging the transmission.

4. Oct 9, 2010 at 9:45 AM
    scottri

scottri Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tigard Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport DC TRD Sport PreRunner
    Cover King Seat Covers, WeatherTech Liners, PopNLock, storage bin locks, N-Fab Step bars, and G4 Elite Tonneau cover.
    I wouldn't do it to slow down, I only do it if my truck starts hunting for gears going up hills.

5. Oct 9, 2010 at 9:47 AM
    jandrews

jandrews Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    I would recommend some reading on how a transmission works.

Generally speaking, use your brakes to slow the vehicle. That's what they're for.

If you actually engine brake to slow the vehicle, you're just putting unnecessary wear on the transmission. It's better to select and maintain a lower gear only if you're on a sustained downhill grade where overheating your brakes is a realistic possibility. And even then, that prevents you from getting up to a high speed in the first place...it's not a good tool to slow you from highway speeds.

6. Oct 9, 2010 at 11:15 AM
    TheSchwartz

TheSchwartz Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Smithsburg, MD
    Vehicle:
    '11 DC/LB SR5 Magnetic Gray
    Avid BullBar, BFG 265/75R16, remote car starter, Slim's HID heads and fogs
    I do this most everyday on my way home from work being that i have to come down a mountain. i don't really see a problem with this as long as you don't do it to fast and pay attention. i have also done this while hauling a trailer or just because i felt like it at the time. As for the unnecessary wear on the mechanics i don't see that as true the transmission is going to spin weather your in drive or in low. also most newer vehicles will down shift them self when certin parameters are meet.

7. Oct 9, 2010 at 11:26 AM
    Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Indego Ink TRD OR
    Electric Tail Gate Lock, EZ Down + Cable Mod, Galvanized Underbody, DK 9000, CloudRider SS Grill insert. BakFlip HD, Cabin Air Filter mod, Alarm, Zero Rust !
    I do it all the time here. The hills are simply to big here and can take your brakes out on a single hill. They just get way to hot.

Just watch the revs. I would not worry about it. I don't think it will do anything bad. That is why they gave you the shifter in the first place.

Engine braking is in the manual so you should be just fine.

8. Oct 9, 2010 at 11:35 AM
    jandrews

jandrews Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat

If you peg the tach high for a long period of time the extra heat generated WILL worsen wear on your mechanicals.

Again, it's better to not get going too fast to begin with. Using a lower gear helps maintain a safe speed without risk of overheating the brakes by riding 'em the whole way.

9. Oct 9, 2010 at 12:23 PM
    TheSchwartz

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Smithsburg, MD
    Vehicle:
    ^^ that is a true statement hense why i said
    "as long as you don't do it to fast and pay attention"

10. Oct 9, 2010 at 12:32 PM
    ink junky

ink junky I phucking hate people >:(

Member:
    First Name:
    TACO LOVER
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 trd off road DC,
    Aero turbine 2525, Snorkel, AFE pro dry drop in filter, BFG 33s, spydertraxwheel spacers :/. Debadged, rebadged black, TW sticker :D, bed lights, rod holders, OEM roof rack, Complete OME lift, bed lined fenders. Armor Tech Off road wrap around HC rear bumper w/ tire carrier swing out. Relentless front aluminum bumper. Le Devil Horns (_)
    I keep hearing Samuel L Jackson narrating as I read your post. hahaha :D

11. Oct 9, 2010 at 1:05 PM
    Airun

Airun Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Show Me State
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport, DCLB, 4wd
    Debadged, custom emblem, Husky liners, custom bedrail Yak Trak setup with load bars, , BakFlip Fibermax, OME 3" lift with LightRacing UCAs
    brake pads are cheap

12. Oct 9, 2010 at 1:11 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Kaplan, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners.
    The manual recommends compression braking (Automatics pg170-172)

This info found on page 171
    4wd (H2 or H4)& Prerunner Auto:
    3rd gear <86 mph
    2nd gear <59 mph
    Low gear <34 mph
    4wd in L4:
    3rd- 33mph
    2nd- 23mph
    Low- 13mph

Only caution manual speaks of is over-reving, just keep the tach out of the red.

Pg 178 "When towing a trailor to maintain engine braking efficiency do not use 5th gear (manual) or 6th gear (auto)."

As long as it is done properly I see no ill affects as it is recomended so many time in the manual.

13. Oct 9, 2010 at 1:27 PM
    Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Indego Ink TRD OR
    Electric Tail Gate Lock, EZ Down + Cable Mod, Galvanized Underbody, DK 9000, CloudRider SS Grill insert. BakFlip HD, Cabin Air Filter mod, Alarm, Zero Rust !
    Problem with that is you don't even get to that point. You end up warping the disks. Then you fix that then you do it again till there too thin then you have all that fun to deal with.

Like if your in flat land it don't really matter but some hills here are 26 miles long. What you going to do, get the rotors ground down every time you drive down that hill? Although people around here do it cause there clueless. Makes more sence to use the engine to keep the speed down.

14. Oct 9, 2010 at 1:32 PM
    TheSchwartz

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Smithsburg, MD
    Vehicle:
    ^ x2
    i did it all the time when i had a manual and i do it in this truck because i can. i dont see it making a difference on the trans or engine aslong as you are paying attention.

15. Oct 9, 2010 at 1:35 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rubicon Unlimited,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.

Bingo. Its no different than the tranny up shifting when accelerating hard, as far as load on components is concerned. I down shift all the time when I feel like it. Done this on many vehicles, with no ill affects.

16. Oct 9, 2010 at 1:36 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rubicon Unlimited,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    X2.

17. Oct 9, 2010 at 1:40 PM
    Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Indego Ink TRD OR
    Ya like here brakes simply are not made to be applied for that length of time and you must do something cause the grade is steep enough that you will end up getting going way too fast. People flip there cars and trucks all the time on that hill. Couple of weeks ago there was like three roll overs in a single day on it. You have to pay attention around here. Many semi's have caught of fire on that hill from overheated brakes.

18. Oct 9, 2010 at 1:42 PM
    TheSchwartz

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Smithsburg, MD
    Vehicle:
    down shifting = no/limited brake fade!!

19. Oct 9, 2010 at 1:48 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T Quite an experience to live in fear , isn't it ?

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    I downshift and engine brake on a long hill I travel everyday too , there are no issues with it unless you are redlining the tach .

You " brake pads are cheaper " guys all live on the prairies or what ?

20. Oct 9, 2010 at 1:53 PM
    rcbs204

rcbs204 Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    I down shift all the time in my truck, it is especially helpful in the winter. I would not worry about it, my Dad owns Aamco Transmissions, and i asked him and told me that the TCM (Transmission Control Module) will not allow a gear shift at high RPM's down to a really low gear. The he did say it depends on how new the vehicle is too, as the older vehicles did not have TCM and damage can occur.

To Top