1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bad transmission on a taco?!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by SNWMN209, Sep 30, 2009.

1. Sep 30, 2009 at 7:54 AM
    SNWMN209

SNWMN209 [OP] "Welp...see ya in the shit.."

Member:
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner, 3" Top Gun lift, Flux Capasitor
    3" Top Gunz lift Indash DVD Blacked out headlights K&N Intake Exhaust
    Hey guys! I am have a hell of a time with my 2006 Prerunner. I started having a shift problem. (She would jerk a bit when shifting gears) Then it started making a light humming sound when it was crusing (35-40mph). I have taken it to the local Toyota Dealer, thank god I have a warrenty, and they told me it will need a new transmission. I said ok. 4 days later I got it back, but now it only jerked when shifting from 2nd to 3rd. (Oh btw its an automatic) AND now it studdered when I would put it in reverse, which it had never done. So I go back and they tell me I will need a new rear end. Again, 4-5 days later I get it back and no change. Now they tell me I need to wait a month so the "memory" in the transmission to learn how I drive... WHAT?!

Has anyone else had a problem like this? Any ideas would help me out a great deal. Until they think of something else, they will continue to put new transmissions in it. :mad:

2. Dec 5, 2009 at 8:12 PM
    JUS

JUS Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Jax, Fl
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD OR, 08 4Runner
    I am experiencing a similar issue. It seems to studder and jerk around when the torque converter tries to lock up. This problem never manifested until 50k miles. I took it in. They said there is a note in their system about contaminated tranny fluid...so they flushed it three times and did service. It ran OK for less than a week and the same issues came back. Now it clunks when downshifting i think from 4-3. I will be driopping it back off with the dealer this week.

3. Dec 5, 2009 at 8:24 PM
    4low2go

4low2go Well-Known Member

Member:
    Coatesville, PA
    Vehicle:
    10 RC 4x4 5sp MGM
    Curt hitch, OBX Shift
    I'd check out other dealers service dept's, sounds like those guys don't have a clue. On another kind of vehicle I had with a slipping automatic, one dealer told me new trans - $3500, another fixed it for $189. WTF?

4. Dec 5, 2009 at 8:33 PM
    JUS

JUS Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Jax, Fl
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD OR, 08 4Runner

I dunno, man...but I am reading about a TON of transmission issues with this unit. Mine is an 06 that I bought brand new and expected to keep for 200,000 miles. I liked it so much initially that I bought my wife a 2008 4Runner. Now it rides like crap (seriously my 205k mile Cherokee drove better) and nobody at the dealership seems to have a clue what is going on. WTF Toyota?!?!

5. Feb 24, 2010 at 3:51 PM
    JUS

JUS Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Jax, Fl
    Vehicle:
    19 TRD OR, 08 4Runner
    After my third visit to the service dept, Toyota has agreed to replace my transmission with 54k miles on the clock. The service manager said he has seen this a few times:

1) Something was not meshed or mated properly in construction.
    2) 'Materials' (ie shavings) wear off of gears..floating in tranny fluid.
    3) 'Materials' begin to clog solenoids.
    4) Failure.

He said the issue will most likely come back again and again even after replacing solenoids and flushing tranny.

I hope this helps.

-JUS-

Products Discussed in

To Top