1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bad wheels

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Kjsayers, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Mar 15, 2009 at 12:25 PM
    Racer78

Racer78 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma 4X4 Sport
    Billstiens 5100 @1.75, 5125, 1.5 AAL,Leaf Spring TSB,TRD Intake, Roof Rack, Satoshi Grill, BHLM,T-Rex Eyelids, Undercover Cover, Powdercoated Sport Rims, KC Slimline 8" Lights, MTX ReQ5 w/ipod imput, 12" Shallow Pioneer Sub, RF 800.4 amp, JBL Comp, Bed Ext, USB Port, Shorty Antena, Spider Trax Spacers,TRD Skid Plate, Napier Sportz Tent II, Scangauge II, AirBedz
    Hey guys, I've just been reading though this thread. I have an 05 Sport w/17" and it has the same rim issue's. I ran a shop in the casting treatment process for the automotive industry. This problem reminds me of issue's customers had with thier castings "gassing out" after the final coating process. The gas would release from the casting and create this type of issue as we have been seeing. The casting material needed to be impregnated with a resin type of vacuum process to fill the leak paths thus, fixing the issue.

My 2 cents..

2. Mar 16, 2009 at 5:28 PM
    07nctaco

07nctaco Active Member

Member:
    nc
    Vehicle:
    07-DC prerunner
    Having the same issue with my sport wheels on my 07 w/24k miles they also told me the Rep. neede to look at them. Longboard can you contact me at apruitt9@triad.rr.com with your replacement info, Thanks!!

3. Jul 6, 2009 at 7:07 AM
    hogman37

hogman37 New Member

Member:
    Middlebury, VT
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport
    OME 3" full suspension lift w/ Dakar 7 leaf rear springs, Gibson sweptside single cat-back exhaust, AFE Magnum Force stage 2 cold air intake, SS Billet Grille & Hoodscoop Inserts
    RACER78, based on that theory should I not request the same wheels be used for the replacement? I would hope that Toyota recognizes this flaw and modified the manufacturing process...(operative word being "hope"). I wouldn't expect my local service manager to comment on the casting process of the wheels so probably gonna have to climb farther up the corporate tree to solve this one.

4. Jul 9, 2009 at 10:44 AM
    hogman37

hogman37 New Member

Member:
    Middlebury, VT
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport
    OME 3" full suspension lift w/ Dakar 7 leaf rear springs, Gibson sweptside single cat-back exhaust, AFE Magnum Force stage 2 cold air intake, SS Billet Grille & Hoodscoop Inserts
    The Concord, NH dealership that I brought this issue to has agreed to have the wheels re-finished by a third party at no cost to me (minus having to drive a rental for a week). They are not willing to admit that this is a warranty item and I quote, "Toyota is doing this out of goodwill and not warranty obligation". In my experience re-finishing generally ends up looking better (and hopefully lasting longer) so I'm not too concerned that I wont be getting new wheels out of this. What concerns me is the feeling that Toyota is attempting to sweep this obvious flaw under the rug. The explanation I got was that the problem is caused by road salt & winter driving but according to this thread its happening in So. Cal. and Florida too! How much winter driving do you do there I wonder?

5. Jul 9, 2009 at 8:45 PM
    nytmarecoma88

nytmarecoma88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 tacoma
    Tonnuea Tint euro Tail lights halo head lights billet grille- black debadged black powdercaoted 17's "knight rider" mod aero turbine exhaust black bull bar multicolor halo fogs
    im from va, mine looked like they were rusting, just finished powdercoating them, it was ALOT of work, but it was worth it

Hamer95USA likes this.
  6. Jul 23, 2009 at 1:33 PM
    gavonder

gavonder She's Kickass!

Member:
    Ct
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport Access Cab
    Sunroof, Leer Cap w/ Thule rack, Factory Running Boards, Fog Light Mod, Hood Struts, Scangauge, w/homemade mirror mount, AC/Defrost mod, Rear Spring TSB, TRD Center Caps
    I posted this http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/45450-trd-sport-wheel-corrosion.html yesterday before searching (I know, dumbass).

Anyway, I thought I would report that I took it to the dealer today. I waited for about 10 minutes and they came back to me saying they are ordering 4 new wheels for me - no questions asked. They said they would be in in a week or so.

Again, great luck and service from my dealer - Greentree Toyota in Danbury, Ct.

GA

7. Oct 13, 2014 at 10:19 AM
    santas212

santas212 I'm on a boat!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Georgetown, CT
    Vehicle:
    '09 DCLB, TRD Sport, Barcelona Red
    Mostly miscellaneous electronic mods.... -2 spare Electrical fuse blocks hard wired to the battery with a key on relay. -Hard Wired Radar detector over rearview mirror. -2 Dual Whelen Avenger blue LED emergency lights, one on each side of the rearview mirror. -EP911 Blue LED Light Bar & Traffic Advisor, Rear Windows. -4 corner amber strobes in stock lights. -Hardwired RF Scanner with external speaker under center console. -Huskyliner front splash guards -Fireband 2 way radio in center console. -Herculiner painted on hitch and skid plate. -Switch to power one 12v socket when truck is off. -AntiDark LED strip under hood with switch. -Timbren Rubber Springs - Rear -MBRP Offroad Cat-Back with Resonator -Duratrac's -Provisor -Color matched hood bug shield
    I also use Greentree, while they cost $$$ to get your services there, they stand behind the stuff and have made good on several things for me.

I wish i had been more attentive to my wheels in the first year,,, i should have definitely taken them back at first sign. now its 6 years later and the paint is just about gone on some wheels.

Thinking about having them done at Alloy wheel repair in danbury, New CNC machining on the outside face, and fresh pain on the inside, whatever color i want. Thinking gunmetal grey.

but they are $150 each wheel...

they will however mount and balance my new tires for free at the same time since they are stripping the tires off anyways.

Hamer95USA likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top