1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bail Out Auto Industry?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by TheMaster, Nov 19, 2008.

?

Should the American tax payers bailout the Auto Industry?

Poll closed Dec 19, 2008.
  1. YES

14 vote(s)
    7.7%
  2. NO

168 vote(s)
    92.3%
  1. Nov 19, 2008 at 11:56 AM
    RCBS

RCBS How long you willing to tolerate this crap??

Member:
    Harden your bark, there are storms on the horizon.
    Vehicle:
    Goodbye 06, Hello 21. TRDORDCSBMT
    Tornado intake, Duralube, Fartcan.
    their fault. piss on 'em. nobody will bail me out if i *uck up my finances.

2. Nov 19, 2008 at 12:32 PM
    maricopa_taco

maricopa_taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maricopa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner
    6 inch procomp lift, 315/70/17 BFGs AT, Eagle Alloys, Carr step, TRD exhaust
    If Toyota can run a successful company why can't GM, Ford, and Chrysler?

3. Nov 19, 2008 at 1:39 PM
    joedirt

joedirt Hallow

Member:
    Ploeśti
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    I see a lot of hate here on unions.

4. Nov 19, 2008 at 2:12 PM
    TRDATER

TRDATER MASTER KNUCKLE BLEEDER

Member:
    RUST BELT, OHIO
    Vehicle:
    2009 007 TRD
    ICONS FRT AND REARS BABY, HIDS, OFFROAD WITH SPORT HOOD. 285-70-17 M/TS
    The whole purpose behind this is to break unions, lets bail out the guys who scammed billions out of us citizens over mortages and investments but lets not help detroit, im sorry but thats just wrong. If the auto industry fails there will be 3 million jobs lost from top to bottom. All unions may not be good but they serve a purpose they keep a level playing field for both sides break them and see what happens talk about slave labor. Everyone forgets this they dont know or had to suffer during union developments .. The problem unions dont fit into slave labor world economies, that whats this is all about, the union is what brought better livings for familys for generations, wipe it out and wipe out your pay.

5. Nov 19, 2008 at 2:24 PM
    TRDATER

Member:
    RUST BELT, OHIO
    Vehicle:
    2009 007 TRD
    The big 3 carry years of pensions and benifits not offered or seen by toyota or honda this drowns you , pensions are based on investment portfolios, no profit the funds drain, half of all pensions programs are being watched by the federal government because there are paying out more then they are taking in at this point. They are gov. Guaranteed when they dip below a certain level they are monitored. How many people will loose the retirement if they fold, just think about it.

6. Nov 19, 2008 at 4:20 PM
    Bassetdad

Bassetdad What if God Smoked Cannabis

Member:
    Harrison, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2001 De-Badged SR5 Access Cab 2.7 / 5m
    Access Tononu Cover AFE Pro-Dry S Drop-in Filter American Mag Wheels Bilstein 5100's Black Billet Grill Clear Taillights Perma-Tech sprayed Kennesaw Mountain Rear Bumper Michelin Tires PIAA Driving Lights PIAA Headlights Piaa Tail Light Bulbs Tinted Windows – 50% Toytech AAL URD Short Shifter Tranny - Mobil 1 Engine - Mobil 1 Custom Three Bike In Bed Rack New Toyota Undercoated Frame Clear LED 3rd Brake Light
    :mad:The CEOs of the Big Three automakers reportedly flew private luxury jets to Washington to plead for a $25 billion taxpayer bailout to save their debt-ridden industry — ringing up tens of thousands in charges even as they cried poverty.

7. Nov 19, 2008 at 4:29 PM
    steviestyles

steviestyles The "Search" tab is your friend!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock
    I don't hear laborers working for Toyota, Nissan, VW, Subaru, and Honda right here in the US at non-labor plants complaining about not making enough money. in fact the UAW have tried hard to force these plants to unionize, and the workers have voted No......smart. The bottom line is the UAW is so entrenched that abolishing it would prove to be a futile act. Most Unions including the UAW have outlived their usefulness. Maybe during the birth of the industrial age when thier were no government mandated work hours or minimum wage, but we are well beyond that. The UAW need to compromise or as you said, 3 million people might all be looking for jobs in a down economy, and that's something the Unions cannot save their members from. They'll all turn around to see all the union dues they pay have amounted to nothing when the head company is bankrupt. Few unions have a use, a couple that come to mind are unions for police a firemen, and that's just to protect policement and firement during allegations of misconduct.

On a side note, The Big 3 have been shipping operations down to Mexico and up to Canada where they are not held hostage to the wishes and demands of the UAW.

8. Nov 19, 2008 at 4:32 PM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    They have us over a barrel, if we don't the country could really take a header, but on the other hand as others have said, nobody bailed us out when we F'ed up. BOHICA ! :rant:

9. Nov 19, 2008 at 4:32 PM
    TRDATER

Member:
    RUST BELT, OHIO
    Vehicle:
    2009 007 TRD
    Sounds like the 700 billion dollar bailout, we must have forgot aigs outrageous vacations on us of recent.

10. Nov 19, 2008 at 4:37 PM
    TRDATER

Member:
    RUST BELT, OHIO
    Vehicle:
    2009 007 TRD
    Believe me i am not pro union , i am pro reality, if you believe for a second that wages wont drop over time you wait and see. if unions get broken i want to stand in line to tell you i told you so.

11. Nov 19, 2008 at 4:50 PM
    joedirt

joedirt Hallow

Member:
    Ploeśti
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    +1. You don't hear about the concessions workers made to these companies for years in order for the companies to remain "competitive".

Is it selfish for people to want to have a pension, healthcare and make a decent living? Unions make this possible, especially for those who can't afford to go to school. Some trades' journeymen make more an hour than people with college educations.

12. Nov 19, 2008 at 4:50 PM
    steviestyles

steviestyles The "Search" tab is your friend!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock
    Really, I thought wages were based on demand for labor. For instance why do certain McDonalds pay someone to work at $8/hr when they can pay them minimum wage? No unions at Mickey D's :confused: Could it be because they are trying to entice people to come work for them possibly because they are a successful enterprise making a profit, and they can't get/keep enough labor? My wife works for L-3 COM and is paid rather well without the need for a Union. If unions were so imperative for wages we en joy in a free market system, why are the imports built here in the US able to keep labor without the existence of a Union? I don't see the need for a union. Maybe you can ellaborate further on your assertion that the failings of unions would plumet our current wages?

13. Nov 19, 2008 at 4:56 PM
    4x4Runner

4x4Runner Sam’s gone, man. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Not north, not south, not west, mostly east
    Vehicle:
    1WD
    nuttin fancy
    I found this interesting.

Comes from this article.

If I were one of those companies I would be strongly against any bailout. They own plants in the Unites States. They pay taxes for their property, business and products. Their employees pay taxes to the United States. Tariffs are placed on their goods they import. Their taxes will go to the bailout of the companies which to me doesn't sound right. Not because they are competitors but because of their shitty business practice and mentality that they were immune to the economic downturn. They believed they would have the brand loyalty from consumers and it didn't work out. They built expensive fuel guzzling behemoths while gas prices skyrocketed. Now that the cost of fuel has come down people are scared it could happen again plus the ever looming fear of being laid off.

They have gambled and lost. Unfortunately so have their employees and retirees.

14. Nov 19, 2008 at 5:02 PM
    joedirt

joedirt Hallow

Member:
    Ploeśti
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    On a government construction job, you have what is called prevailing wages. A specification that dictates what each trades workers are paid. It is based on union wage rates. Any company, union or non-union, who wins a contract on a particular gov't job is paid and pays prevailing wages. Bill the tinknocker who works in an open shop, who makes 11.35 an hour, provides all his own hand and power tools and doesn't get paid overtime for the 12 hours he works a day, only straight time, is sent to a prevailing wage job. Now he's making 29.00 an hour, just needs his hand tools, and after 8, Bill gets overtime for those last 4 hours.

15. Nov 19, 2008 at 5:05 PM
    08WhiteTRD

08WhiteTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Rocklin, NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2008 White 4x4 TRD Sport
    Fox Suspension 2.5 Front and 2.0 Rear, All-Pro Skids, BAMF LCA Skid, Leer 100R, Scangauge II, WeatherTech Floorliners, WeatherTech window visors, Satoshi grill with HomerTaco mesh, Sockmonkey Tailgate Decal, BHLM, Center Console lock, ImMrYo Rear-view bracket, Rally Armor mud flaps, Crawford Eco-Block, USA-Spec PA-15
    I don't see why we should help these people out. They made bad business decisions and now they have to pay for them. Did Delta Airlines go crying to big brother for money when they sucked??? No! They filed for bankruptcy and started over. If we keep handing out money to people that have no clue how to spend there money now then nothing will change. Look at all the car companys that have tried their luck and failed. It just seems to me that it is time for the Big 3 to fall.

16. Nov 19, 2008 at 5:07 PM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    The thing I don't like about unions is it's one more thing coming out of your paycheck along with SS, taxes, etc. And for what? If the union leaders feel they want more money they tell you to go on strike. That means you go without pay until the strike ends. Do the unions pay your salary while on strike? Do they pay lost wages when the strike ends? Or do union workers have to save money to live off of for a few months "in case" there's a strike?

I don't know the answers to those, but I don't want anyone telling me to stop working when I have a family to support. And assuming a pay increase actually comes out of the strike do the union dues increase as well and thus negate the raise?

17. Nov 19, 2008 at 5:07 PM
    Drew793

Drew793 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-Road V6 Auto
    Weather Tech window shades, Roll-N-Lock cover with cargo manager, Led interior bed lights, EZ down tailgate strut, SpiderTrax1.25" wheel spacers, tinted windows, second filter removed, Grillcraft Mesh upper and lower grill, Castrol Syntec.
    Big FAT NO!

I realize this is bad for everyone but let the people that got them into the mess get them the hell out.

You don't see the executives taking a hit. Let them take a wage and bonus cut.

If GM goes down the tubes,,, well then so be it. I don't wanna see one red cent of my tax dollars spent on this.

We shouldn't have bailed out the stock market either!

18. Nov 19, 2008 at 5:10 PM
    joedirt

joedirt Hallow

Member:
    Ploeśti
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    Didn't Ford post a profit in the last quarter?
    The people who bought Chrysler, all the brains in the bunch and they didn't see that the company was going south? The deal was made 'cause 7 people made millions of dollars off the sale?
    GM wants to be number 1 so badly it will do anything to achieve it?

19. Nov 19, 2008 at 5:14 PM
    08WhiteTRD

08WhiteTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Rocklin, NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2008 White 4x4 TRD Sport
    Fox Suspension 2.5 Front and 2.0 Rear, All-Pro Skids, BAMF LCA Skid, Leer 100R, Scangauge II, WeatherTech Floorliners, WeatherTech window visors, Satoshi grill with HomerTaco mesh, Sockmonkey Tailgate Decal, BHLM, Center Console lock, ImMrYo Rear-view bracket, Rally Armor mud flaps, Crawford Eco-Block, USA-Spec PA-15
    If these are supposed to be "government loans" than what is the percentage on these loans? I would hate to see the interest rate on a 25 billion dollar loan...

20. Nov 19, 2008 at 5:17 PM
    neontrail

neontrail ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈ ✈

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2004 NISSAN XTERRA XE/SE
    De-badged, Tint 20%, Blue 48 LED dome-light, .......
    chapter 11
    New Leadership...
    Protect jobs and restructure.

Products Discussed in

To Top