1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Baja Beach 4WD: 32 psi to 15 psi, see the difference!

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by David K, Jul 24, 2010.

1. drifter

drifter moderately modded

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    good stuff
    OME 880's/Nitrochargers, Rebuilt leaf packs, diff breather extension, hole in air box, truck toolbox, panasonic stereo, Mag light mount, Glasstite canopy, Custom designed/built light bar, Hella 500's.
    Sweet, he can wheel in the comfort of his own "home".

2. HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road
    None
    Not only that!!! He has the security of having the workshop in the back too!!!

3. drifter

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    good stuff
    OME 880's/Nitrochargers, Rebuilt leaf packs, diff breather extension, hole in air box, truck toolbox, panasonic stereo, Mag light mount, Glasstite canopy, Custom designed/built light bar, Hella 500's.
    The workshop is a plus.

4. BGrutter

BGrutter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Baron
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 DCSB TRD OR
    Rear-View Camera Mod, Anti-theft Tailgate, No Mud-Flaps, Diff Breather Mod, Color-matched Mirror/Handle covers, Front Valance mod, Phone/GPS/Camera mount, and Illuminated 4x4 Switch ToyTec Ultimate Lift Light Racing UCAs
    I love that RV. I saw this episode of Xtreme 4x4 on Spike today. It was pretty cool. Sorta like having a Dingy for off-roading. You'll probably have to watch the middle of the episode to know what I mean ;)

5. David K

David K [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Marcos, Alta California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 2 Hella 4000 HID, 1 Kragen HID, 1 Cibie Halogen.
    Saw it... quite a pair of rigs... What fun those guys must have, and get paid for it, too!

6. Isthatahemi

Isthatahemi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD OFF ROAD
    BFG AT's, Weathertechs, Hoppy's brake controller.
    Cool Thread.....
    FWIW - My experience has been that 15 psi helps, 10 psi is twice the improvement. Where the truck would be stuck at 30 psi in 4L, at 10 psi I can drive in 2H.
    I disagree with the comment on BFG sidewalls not being stout, but that's because I've put a few pairs of them through hell, and never had a flat.

7. drifter

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    good stuff
    The other day I drove my prerunner across some sandy spots running 30-40 psi, never got stuck. If I had aired down, I could have done better, but I'm lazy. My friend put it in 4 hi a time or two, and was all like 'how'd you get through without 4wd?' That was a fun night :D

8. David K

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 2 Hella 4000 HID, 1 Kragen HID, 1 Cibie Halogen.
    It could be like a Jeep thing... some BFGs are great and then the owners swear by them, and other BFGs have sidewall failures... and for no good reason.

I have driven them in deep sand (All Terrain T/As) and they don't do as well as other tires... because of the stiff sidewall most likely. My Cooper STTs were also terrible in the sand, and they were 3 ply sidewalls.

9. 97T

97T Resident T100 guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Melt
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    97 T100 xcab 5spd 2wd
    soundstream 550.2 amp, 2 eclipse 10" subs, 4% tint rear window, 20% sides, 6" sunstrip, clear bumper lenses, avital 4103 alarm with keyless, BF Goodrich Rugged Terrain T/A 235/75/15, 15X7 6-5.5 0C Unique 298 rims
    when my buddy and i hit pismo a couple years back, he had an old early 90s dodge dakota 2wd ... we aired the tires down to 10 and suprisingly never got stuck ... tire pressure is key!

10. David K

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    That's the ticket!;)

11. cmack

cmack Impeach Chris4x4!

Member:
    I usually go 15-20 PSI all around. It does wonders, just make sure you have a good air compressor...and I'm talking about one the runs directly to the battery, not to the cig outlet...

12. drifter

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    good stuff
    I need a compressor :mad:

13. cmack

cmack Impeach Chris4x4!

Member:
    Mine just took a shit on me...so I'm going to take it apart and see if any of the wires need to be re-soldered...Probably will end up picking up a new one though at some point.

14. drifter

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    good stuff
    how much are they?

15. cmack

cmack Impeach Chris4x4!

Member:
    Price varies depending on brand and other factors...for example, the one my cousin has, I believe he bought for $250-300 new. But he's filling 35's up and it does them uber quick.

16. drifter

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    good stuff
    All right. I'll have to see if I can get one for a little bit cheaper.

17. cmack

cmack Impeach Chris4x4!

Member:
    Oh yeah, you definitely can..idk how much mine cost originally, my cousin gave ti to me when he got his new one at the beginning of the year.

18. drifter

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    good stuff
  19. 97T

97T Resident T100 guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Melt
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    97 T100 xcab 5spd 2wd
    soundstream 550.2 amp, 2 eclipse 10" subs, 4% tint rear window, 20% sides, 6" sunstrip, clear bumper lenses, avital 4103 alarm with keyless, BF Goodrich Rugged Terrain T/A 235/75/15, 15X7 6-5.5 0C Unique 298 rims
    i used to have a ranger ... your cousin is "theoutdoorsman" on r/f right? love his rig!

20. cmack

cmack Impeach Chris4x4!

Member:
    Yep! That's him. i'm on R/F every now and again. His rear axle swap was just completed tonight btw. Dunno if you've been following his build or not. We went down to the shop to pick it up tonight. He's in love with the new rear axle. He's thinking of doing hydro-assist next for the steering components.

To Top