1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Baja Beach 4WD: 32 psi to 15 psi, see the difference!

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by David K, Jul 24, 2010.

1. 97T

97T Resident T100 guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Melt
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    97 T100 xcab 5spd 2wd
    soundstream 550.2 amp, 2 eclipse 10" subs, 4% tint rear window, 20% sides, 6" sunstrip, clear bumper lenses, avital 4103 alarm with keyless, BF Goodrich Rugged Terrain T/A 235/75/15, 15X7 6-5.5 0C Unique 298 rims
    yea i havent followed his thread too much last thing i read from him was some wheelin pics a while back on some crazy ass trail with a new gf ... ive gone down to phoenix twice since being on that board but havent looked him up to see it in person ... still hoping to eventually move down there

2. David K

David K [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Marcos, Alta California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 2 Hella 4000 HID, 1 Kragen HID, 1 Cibie Halogen.
    [​IMG]

Harbor Freight for $49 (was a monthly special)... Pumps 3 times faster than the cigarette lighter ones do (6 psi per minute vs. 2 psi per minute).

Connects right to battery, has worked for me for 4-5 years now.

Only issue is the cable gets pretty hot and the fuse melts after a while... sometimes need to wiggle the inline huse holder or replace with a new fuse.

Sure beats paying $300 for a Quick Air, as it does the job.

Costco also sells one that look about the same for about $70 last time I looked.

3. cmack

cmack Impeach Chris4x4!

Member:
    Might have been his trail run with either the Nissan guys or the Jeep crew...the Nissan one took a bigger toll on his truck though and left some "character marks", but that was a few months ago. The Jeep one, IIRC, was back road to Crown King, in the rain, so he was fighting traction. That one I want to say, was about a month ago. Not too sure though...any other runs, of pics that he posted were pics I shot. Those were the only two trail runs that I didn't go on. :eek: He's a member on TW, he just never logs on, or only does when there are pics on here of his truck from a recent trail run lol All the work done so far has been solid.

4. drifter

drifter moderately modded

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    good stuff
    OME 880's/Nitrochargers, Rebuilt leaf packs, diff breather extension, hole in air box, truck toolbox, panasonic stereo, Mag light mount, Glasstite canopy, Custom designed/built light bar, Hella 500's.
    That's a better price. :)

5. David K

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 2 Hella 4000 HID, 1 Kragen HID, 1 Cibie Halogen.
    Let us know what you pay!

6. cmack

cmack Impeach Chris4x4!

Member:

That's the one I have! It took a shit on me though :(

7. David K

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Care to say what happened? Mine has fuse holder issues... gets so hot melts rubber fuse holder and fuses... I upped it to 30 amp from the 25 that blew. But, it still works after 4 years.

8. jrobson

jrobson Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mobile, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    09 DC 4x4
    Ultimate lift kit, LR UCA's, Bi-xenon 8000K headlights, Xenon 8000K foglites, (4) KC slimlites on N-Fab light bar, Extang trifecta toneau cover
    Funny how a few pounds of air can make a huge difference.

9. David K

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    It makes all the difference in the world... and should be standard info for anyone who drives into sand. Getting stuck in sand never needs a pull... just clear away any buildup blocking forward movement and deflate the tires!

10. TacoFMS

TacoFMS My turn.

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Louisa County, VA
    Vehicle:
    just another grocery getter
    crushed goldfish crackers & spilled apple juice
    Hey David have you ever thought of takin out the wiring goin to the battery for that compressor and replacing it with some thicker stuff? maybe a larger diameter of wire would help dissapate the load going through it and it wouldnt heat up as bad. just a thought. Im gonna have to run down to the local harbor freight store and see about one of those compressors for my truck. thanks for the good info, not just on deflation but also the compressor.

11. David K

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Perhaps... They are like jumper cables, but not as thick. I did change the 25 amp fuse with a 30 amp... and have a box of them. They don't blow, but the plastic just melts and disfigures them. Chinese made stuff, perhaps.. but I have used it dozens of times since 2007, and it still works, even if I do need to wiggle the fuse holder a bit!
    They were on sale for $49, when I got it.

12. TacoFMS

TacoFMS My turn.

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Louisa County, VA
    Vehicle:
    just another grocery getter
    crushed goldfish crackers & spilled apple juice
    Well i know you said that they work just fine but i was just thinkin if they heat up that much sooner or later they are gonna burn a bare spot in them and then it becomes a safety issue for you and your truck. just thought it might be work lookin in to cuz a length of like aut gauge wire wouldnt cost much.

13. David K

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    I only run the thing for ~ 3 minutes per tire... so in 12-15 minutes it doesn't get that hot... Just the fuse holder and fuse melt some.

14. jackrules

jackrules Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner Double Cab SR5 TRD Sport LB
    This thing is AWESOME!!!!! A lot of taco's wouldn't make it up that, and this guys doing it in an rv!

15. David K

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    It's all about traction where you need it.

The 4Runner with open differentails made it, just had to move some rocks... But, this road is one that I do think should be for those with low range and traction control or a rear locker. Art's van is amazing, however!

16. drifter

drifter moderately modded

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    good stuff
    OME 880's/Nitrochargers, Rebuilt leaf packs, diff breather extension, hole in air box, truck toolbox, panasonic stereo, Mag light mount, Glasstite canopy, Custom designed/built light bar, Hella 500's.
    looks like it was pulling someone else up after it to:cool:

17. David K

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Good eyes... He pulled a 2003 Tacoma/ camper up that grade and the other 5 uphill miles... The whole story was posted here on TW last June. You can catch up also on the web page I made of that trip (link in my signature, as well): Epic 2010 Baja 4WD trip to Mision Santa Maria: http://vivabaja.com/msm2010/

18. BigDan

BigDan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Smoky Mountains, Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Access Cab w/TRD XTPro
    None YET! (It's only got 50 miles on it.)
    I wonder how air pressure might effect puncture resistance?

19. Zoot

Zoot Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC/SB TRD O/R 4X4
    Toyota bed mat, Access tonneau cover, Wet Okole's, Window Tint, custom trail-stripes, Cooper A/T3 265/75R16, MedlinAround interior LEDs
    Just wanted to chime in on the air compressor thing because right now I don't have a rechargeable one. I have a 1(?) gallon one thats about as big as a shoe box with a 25' retractable hose I picked up from walmart which I can plug into the bed outlet. Think it was around 50$.. I just looked quick and you can get a rechargeable one for 30$ that runs off your battery or 110v.

20. David K

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC

With some air removed, the tire has more 'give' and might be less prone to sharp rock damage. Your ride is a bit smoother, too.

With too much air removed, the sidewalls become exposed and have a greater chance to be punctured... and you can't repair a sidewall hole.

I usually drive graded roads at full pressure, but wouldn't have a problem if I dropped to 25 psi... I think 20 psi is too low, but that is where a lot of Baja guys go on the washboard roads.

To Top