1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Baja Beach 4WD: 32 psi to 15 psi, see the difference!

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by David K, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Kirk1589

Kirk1589 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Sticks-RI
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 Off-Road
    Pasti-Dip Grille, K&N drop-in, Magnaflow 14", Custom tail light mod, Fog light mod, diff vent mod, Alpine Components, Sequoia JBL radio
    Ever try or think about the General Grabber red letters?

2. David K

David K [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Marcos, Alta California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 2 Hella 4000 HID, 1 Kragen HID, 1 Cibie Halogen.
    Oh yes... I think they are way cool... I wanted to get them... but when I was ready to buy... even though their brochure said they had them in a 265/75-16, they still did NOT!

Not sure if they have yet ever made them in a size that will fit on a non-lifted Tacoma, but I wasn't going to pay to lift my truck and pay the high tire price.

3. Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Calgary
    Vehicle:
    2006 Campster Mobile
    My truck is MAGIC
    Airing down ftw! Tire pressure makes a massive difference.

4. TacoDell

TacoDell Truck ~n~ Tow

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '00 Tacoma SR5 4X
    Donahoe CO's, Deaver leaf paks, Lockright Locker, All Pro body armor ( sliders, front and rear bumpers ), All Pro under belly skids, Warn M8K w/Masterpull synthetic line, Dual Optima battery system, 4 ea LightForce Striker 170 offroad lights, 8 ea wired rock lights, and plenty more I'm sure
    I don't really get how some folk respond as if this were something new :confused:

The US Army conducted multitudes of tests with tire air inflation pressures
    on off road vehicles back in the 40's during the war.

The tests and studies were very in depth and conclusive.

I guess history means nothing to the modern world :rolleyes:

5. MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof Power Top

Member:
    SoCal- SGV
  6. Kirk1589

Kirk1589 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Sticks-RI
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 Off-Road
    Pasti-Dip Grille, K&N drop-in, Magnaflow 14", Custom tail light mod, Fog light mod, diff vent mod, Alpine Components, Sequoia JBL radio
    Oh they have them. I know several people in the Ranger community that run them. Not on the cheap side though

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Tires/LT...6&t_pt=101129&t_pl=102364&t_pn=GEN04568320000

7. Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Calgary
    Vehicle:
    2006 Campster Mobile
    My truck is MAGIC
    What are you getting at??? Airing down may be new for some people. I haven't always done it. Only the last 2 years have I began airing down. Now I basically refuse to offroad without airing down. I know a LT of people who think its too much of a pain in the ass to do it. Until they try it.

8. MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof Power Top

Member:
    SoCal- SGV
    Everyone that I been on the trail with who has LT all air down, I guess its just something that is universal being in SoCal ..who knows

9. David K

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 2 Hella 4000 HID, 1 Kragen HID, 1 Cibie Halogen.
  10. David K

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Will be shopping for tires by the summer... I really liked the Hankook Dynapros, but they are getting thin by 30,000 miles... Thinking of trying them in an LT version vs the P Rated I know have? Also thinking of Falken Wild Peak to try... The new Toyo Open Country AT II also look and sound good... Obviously, the cost is an issue...

[​IMG]

Maybe??? >>>

[​IMG]

11. MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof Power Top

Member:
    SoCal- SGV
    The generals are great and i like em, but keep this in mind. They are a very heavy tire with a thicker then usual sidewall. My gas milage decreased considerably and I have to air them down to 10 psi just have proper sidewall flex. And that's with having full armor, whench, tons of tools, equipment, and spare parts.

A tire you should consider for an A/T tire is the Nitro terra grappler. Two of my buddies have ran them in the past with great results in all conditions

12. JCBigler

JCBigler Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chouteau, OK
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2010 4WD, SR5, DC, TRD OR w/tow
    stock, Yaesu FT-8800R with a Maldol EX-107B, rear breather mod
    Ghaaah! I did not want to hear this. I'm about to put the Dynapro ATms on my truck. But I need them to last for close to 60,000 miles. I do over 35,000 miles a year and I can't afford to drop $700-$800 on tires every year...:(

13. Brandon H

Brandon H Well-Known Member

Member:
    Newhall, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 DC Offroad
    FUlly Locked, Icon Extended Travel CO's w/ remote resis., Alcan AAL's,Icon Remote Resi Rear Shocks, All Pro Front bumper w/ warn 9.5xp,winchline synthetic winch cable,All Pro IFS Skid plate, OME Shims, OME Carrier Bearing drop, Trail Gear Sliders, Yakima Load Warrior Basket, OEM Roof Rack, Hi Lift Extreme, Cobra model 19, Wilson Lil Wil Antenna, Yaesu ft-7800
    I think i am am gonna go back to BFG Km2's. The last set of tires was the Toyo Open Country M/T. Great tire until they get about 1/2 worn. They are louder than hell and do not want to balance great. They also have severe chunking and cracking on them. Great street tire (new) but crummy off road.

14. DoorDing

DoorDing Thank you, Nancy Roman

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Off-Road 4WD
    DuraTrac? $60 rebate for the next two months.

15. David K

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Thanks for the input MonkeyProof and others! I think I won't go with the Grabbers, as looking cool isn't good enough for me.

I love the Hankook Dynapros, but (like most tires on a Tacoma) I just don't get a lot of miles out of them (28,000 now)...I don't like running them without some meat on them, and they are still okay... maybe get 35,000? They are the cheaper P rated (as are the Rugged Trails that come with our truck)... maybe the LT style will give you more miles?

On my past two, 4 door Tacomas, I have had got 35,000 miles out of Toyo Open Country ATs and the same with Cooper Discoverer ATRs... only 20,000 out of the stock BFG Rugged Trails (Fails) when they just keep getting flats... The most mileage was 45,000 out of Cooper STTs (noisy grave diggers)... expensive, good looking, but never again!

The Falkens or New Toyo Open Country AT II or Hankooks again are where my head is at. My four wheeling is mostly sand, but I do rock and steep climbs, some mud and snow too... so an All Terrain tire that is quiet at highway speed is where I am looking. Price will be another issue... DuraTracs? hmmmm... ???

16. DoorDing

DoorDing Thank you, Nancy Roman

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Off-Road 4WD
    Before buying, check the spec sheets on TireRack and make sure you're getting the exact tire you want. Iirc, some tires are offered in identical sizes, but in both Passenger and Light Truck versions, with the LT tires having heavier construction and more tread depth. Of course, the LT version also costs more. :)

17. David K

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Yes indeed... the tires I mentioned above, I have run on my '05 and '10 Tacomas. My '01 had BFGs (Rugged Trails) before I tried the Pep Boys Dakota AT tires (only $85 then)... they were fine to about 25,000 miles when the tread was too thin. However, they were a 50,000 mile tire, so I kept getting new ones for almost half price ($50).

Now, I do run the tires at the recommended pressure or higher, based on the chalk test... so, I am not sure how others get more miles on the same tires, unless they run until they are bald or maybe highways in other states are not as hard on tire wear?

18. Fightnfire

Fightnfire Recklessly tired

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Marysville, WA
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab V6 4X4
    Softopper, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75 in the front, TSB Rear, 17x8.5 Lvl 8 Guardians, 265/70-17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Scooped, Anytime fog mod, Osram Nightbreakers, LED Interior lights, Debadged, Painted valance, Removed rear head rests, De-flapped, Hidden Hitch installed, Weather Techs, Flyzeye'd A/W/A, Cover Kings,... oh and the hot wife mod.
    Lots of people get significantly better mileage out of those tires than you are .. any clue as to why?

I've got 25k 'ish on my Dynapros and they still look new to me. Obviously some wear but I don't see any issues getting 45-50. I do plenty of "mild" off-roading. Snow, lots of gravel, and lots of highway.

A buddy of mine only runs the Toyo AT and get 45-50 every set. They're not bald when he gets rid of them.

Could the sand eat these up that much faster?

19. David K

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Well, as I said... there is still tread on mine... I just like not getting flats, and once there is less than 1/4" of tread depth, I want new tires... I am at 1/4" now at 28,000 miles... I have been running them at 35 psi (tire is a 44 psi max rating) for most of their life... I started at 40 psi, but dropped it when the chalk test showed a slightly greater wear in the middle.

20. Fightnfire

Fightnfire Recklessly tired

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Marysville, WA
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab V6 4X4
    Softopper, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75 in the front, TSB Rear, 17x8.5 Lvl 8 Guardians, 265/70-17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Scooped, Anytime fog mod, Osram Nightbreakers, LED Interior lights, Debadged, Painted valance, Removed rear head rests, De-flapped, Hidden Hitch installed, Weather Techs, Flyzeye'd A/W/A, Cover Kings,... oh and the hot wife mod.
    I understood you still have tread left. My statement was based on people that also still have tread left when they get new tires. Using some simple math your tread would be bald at 37k. Well short of others.

I've got 25ish on mine and they are nowhere near half gone, I still have 70% tread left. The Toyo's I've seen have 1/4" left around 40-45.

I was just wondering what's up with the bad wear your seeing.

To Top