1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Baja Beach 4WD: 32 psi to 15 psi, see the difference!

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by David K, Jul 24, 2010.

1. MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof Power Top

Member:
    SoCal- SGV
    Its normal for the hankooks, I went through 3 sets of the M/T's averaging 15-18k a year before the tread became less then 1/4% from new. Great tires as far as all around performance goes but It became expensive buying a set of tires every year.

I am also a service tech at a ford dealership, many of the models come from the factory with hankooks. We are always replacing the hankooks faster from normal wear when compared to the other brands like Continental, Perille, and GoodYear that ford also uses.

2. David K

David K [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Marcos, Alta California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 2 Hella 4000 HID, 1 Kragen HID, 1 Cibie Halogen.
    What do you think of LTs vs. P rated for mileage on Dynapro ATM Hankooks?

3. David K

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 2 Hella 4000 HID, 1 Kragen HID, 1 Cibie Halogen.
    They 'looked new' until just recently. After 25k miles they seemed to wear faster. I checkes the pressure on all 4... holding at 34 in front and 34.5 in back. I think these have been the most impressive tire except for wear.

4. MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof Power Top

Member:
    SoCal- SGV
    I don't think there would be a difference between the two as far as tread life, I think the difference would be in the sidewall thickness only.

5. DoorDing

DoorDing Thank you, Nancy Roman

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Off-Road 4WD
    Check the tread depth, too.

6. David K

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    So, a more expensive LT tire will not last longer than a P tire? An LT is only for heavy load carrying? Really?

7. DoorDing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Off-Road 4WD
    I don't think that's the case, which is why I suggested checking tread depth. A lot of offroad tires don't have UTQG tread wear ratings, so you have to look at the actual tread depth measurements. Different tires with different tread patterns and compounds will still wear differently, but I think you're safe in assuming that the same tire with deeper tread will wear longer.

Take a look at the BFG Rugged Trail Specs tab and you can see a lot of variations between the sizes.

8. Fightnfire

Fightnfire Recklessly tired

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Marysville, WA
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab V6 4X4
    Softopper, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75 in the front, TSB Rear, 17x8.5 Lvl 8 Guardians, 265/70-17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Scooped, Anytime fog mod, Osram Nightbreakers, LED Interior lights, Debadged, Painted valance, Removed rear head rests, De-flapped, Hidden Hitch installed, Weather Techs, Flyzeye'd A/W/A, Cover Kings,... oh and the hot wife mod.
    I might find myself in the same boat then. I'm right about that 25k mark and I was pretty amazed the other day when I did my first major hand wash and polish after winter and the tires still looked almost new.

I also run mine at 34-35.

9. David K

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    I am at 28,000 miles and the tires are still safe, but the min. depth of the tread is at 1/4".

Nice photo on the beach... where is that?

Here is mine (with BFGs, in 2010)...

[​IMG]

On Shell Island, 20 miles south of San Felipe, Baja CA Mexico.

Back, but with Hankook's, in 2011:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  10. DoorDing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Off-Road 4WD
    David, iirc, didn't you dump the OEM tires after punctures? That's another reason to pick an LT over a P tire. I hate spending money to replace my Rugged Trails so early, but I don't want to learn how poorly they hold up to talus.

11. David K

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Yes, I did, at 20,000 miles... These Hankooks are 8,000 miles older and are still better than those cheap made BFGs.

P over LT because of money... I didn't want to pay more than $140/ tire. Now, I think I will need to spend closer to $200/ tire for higher quality?

The Hankook Dynaprp ATM tread pattern was dynamite... on all surfaces, but specially impressed on mud and snow, as it isn't a mud terrain tire tread. Yet, not at all noisy. I would rate it as a a quiet highway tire.

12. Crom

Crom Time is precious; use it wisely

Member:
    First Name:
    Mr. Sir
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 Double Cab 4x4 Off Road
    A.R.E. MX Shell & Yakima Rack, Stubbs HD-SKO Rock Sliders, JBA UCA's & OME 885 Coils and nitrochargers, Flat BajaRack, Kenwood VHF/UHF Radio, Aux Battery, Solar Panels, L-Track everywhere, Goodyear Duratracs, Four-Leaf pack, Secured tailgate, 7-pin relocation, Inverter 400W all time, In-cab 110v outlets, Rear-seat 12v outlets., Steering shaft TSB, anytime fogs, DTRL toggle switch, aux turn signals, Diff Breather, ImMrYo mirror bracket, ABS Kill switch, (2) Kid Car Seats, and a Glock 23 with night sights.
    Generally speaking, I think it's somewhat of a myth that with LT tires you will suffer less tire punctures. Yes they have more layers of rubber, but it really doesn't matter. If you run over a nail, it's going to go into the tire and make a hole. In 2011, my one month old LT 265/75/R16 "Load Range C" Durtracs (6-ply) suffered a puncture right through the thickest rubber lug of the tire while I was off-road no less. I spoke to the tire shop guys and they said it doesn't matter if you use load range F, run over sharp things, it's going to make a hole!

About a year later I suffered another puncture while driving in the city, some piece of aluminum went through the shoulder. Had to purchase a new tire because they will not repair it. I repaired it myself and now its a trail spare.

I also spoke to a regional tire distributor in my area and I was told that LT and P rated tires all have 3-ply sidewalls. Only the tire mating surface has more layers. Load Range C = 6 ply, D = 8 ply, E = 10 Ply, F = 12 ply. That being said, the LT tires are of more sturdy construction, they have to be, to support the higher loads and greater PSI ratings.

In the end, I think LT load range C is probably the best for the Tacoma, it seems like a good balance of toughness, and not too much heavier over the factory tire. I think the Duratracs are 10lb heavier each than the rugged trail factory tires.

haha I found my post of the other puncture.

13. DoorDing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Off-Road 4WD
    I was thinking more about trail damage than road damage.

From everything I've read, the DuraTrac seems like a good compromise for an all-around tire. Only 8 lbs heavier than the OEM tires, with significantly more tread depth, and much more capable in all conditions.

OEM BFG Rugged Trail T/A 265/70-16 tires = P, 37 lbs @ 10.5/32"

265/75-16 in

Firestone Destination A/T = P, 42 lbs @ 13/32" --- LT, 46 lbs @ 14/32"

Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac = LT, 45 lbs @ 18/32"

BFG Mud-Terrain T/A KM2 = LT, 53 lbs @ 18/32"

14. David K

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Thanks Crom... Good to hear from you amigo! When are we going 4 wheeling?

15. Fightnfire

Fightnfire Recklessly tired

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Marysville, WA
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab V6 4X4
    Softopper, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75 in the front, TSB Rear, 17x8.5 Lvl 8 Guardians, 265/70-17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, Scooped, Anytime fog mod, Osram Nightbreakers, LED Interior lights, Debadged, Painted valance, Removed rear head rests, De-flapped, Hidden Hitch installed, Weather Techs, Flyzeye'd A/W/A, Cover Kings,... oh and the hot wife mod.
    Thanks! My pic was taken in Ocean Shores, WA. There's a stretch of beach you can drive on that goes for miles and miles. We head out there at least once a year. My family typically preferes mountains and hiking/camping on a river but the kids love a day at the beach.

Link to Map showing Ocean Shores:

https://www.google.com/maps?q=ocean...r=Ocean+Shores,+Grays+Harbor,+Washington&z=11

16. David K

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    That is great the government gives you the freedom to beach drive! I think we only have Pismo Beach here in California that allow beach driving. The East Coast and Texas are more lucky, with many miles of open beach.

Ours in CA are really too crowded and someone will get run over, so if you want to drive on a San Diego beach, you need to become a Life Guard!

In San Diego, the Life Guards have the BEST vehicles, too:

Under terms of the proposed contract, lifeguards would receive the following 2012 model-year vehicles:
    -- three Toyota Sequoia 4WD SUVs,
    -- four Toyota 4Runner 4x4 SUVs,
    -- 15 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 Trucks (short bed),
    -- 11 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 4x4 Trucks, and
    -- one Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4x4 Truck.

Source: http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/loc...for-New-Vheciles-130018498.html#ixzz2N5nHxeNQ

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  17. David K

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Happiness is a warm beach and your Toyota Tacoma tracks on it!

[​IMG]

18. David K

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Can't wait to go back there!

19. Juggernaut

Juggernaut Captain

Member:
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner AC Sport Rally 5 Spd
    Tail gate hose clamp, Front Windows 50% tint, fog lights, 894 backup light mod, LED license & interior.
    I'm going to Pismo beach for the first time and want to take my 5 spd prerunner out. Any other advice besides airing down?

Also how far can I drive on my air down tires before I need to fill them back up again? Can I get away with driving to Costco (10 miles), or should I just hit up the first gas station I see?

This will probably be the only time I Drive pismo as I live 4+ hours away so I do not want to invest in a compressor, I just want to drive on a beach once :p

20. 97T

97T Resident T100 guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Melt
    Littleton, CO
    Vehicle:
    97 T100 xcab 5spd 2wd
    soundstream 550.2 amp, 2 eclipse 10" subs, 4% tint rear window, 20% sides, 6" sunstrip, clear bumper lenses, avital 4103 alarm with keyless, BF Goodrich Rugged Terrain T/A 235/75/15, 15X7 6-5.5 0C Unique 298 rims
    I would hit up the first gas station you see, as long as you buy gas (doesnt even have to be a lot) they have to let you use the air tank for free under California state law.

If anyone is wondering, there is 1 other place in northern california where you are legally allowed to drive on the beach, its called samoa dunes in arcata, CA. But if you are gonna go that far north you might as well keep going to oregon dunes national recreation area which is WAYY bigger and very nice.

Another thing i figure id note, you live in sac, drive to sand mountain nevada is about the same for you and there isnt a bunch of jackass rangers waiting to write tickets like every california state park is filled with these days (read hollister, pismo, glamis, etc)

To Top