1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Baja Rack added

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Redgrom, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Aug 1, 2012 at 12:56 PM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    I here that! Thanks. :thumbsup:

2. Jan 3, 2014 at 11:54 PM
    Passion4Outdoors

Passion4Outdoors Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma Adventure Rig
    Leer 180 Topper Baja Rack Body Armor Trail Steps All-Pro Off Road Skids Toyota Bed Mat Thule T2 916XTR Rack Salex Console Organizer Add A Leaf Husky Mud Flaps TrailSeal Tailgate Gasket WeatherGuard Floor Mats TSB Steering Shaft Rag Joint Adjustment Mod Tow Wiring Relocate Mod Tailgate Screw Mod
    My recent rack installation went okay. I did have some trouble drilling the holes through the plastic/rubber strips after I had pulled them off. There is a metal strip running inside of these and the drill bit kept slipping off to one side or the other even though I preferred the hole to be close to the center, so I used the cone shaped grinding bit on my rotary tool and ground out a hole in each one with relative precision. I had to adjust these a little by enlargening them, but once I threw silicone in there and the mounting brackets went over the strips, it came out very nicely. My first trip to work the next day with the rack was a big surprise. Man was it loud! There was a hum resonating through the whole truck from 40-60 M.P.H. even though everything was tight. It was almost like the sound of blowing across the open top of a beer bottle. Now, imagine someone doing that continuously while you are driving in that speed range. Four days later, I had the troubleshooting narrowed down to the bottom air deflector, I had to pull the rack off to do it, but I flipped the air deflector over, and, voila, the problem was fixed! Even though it doesn't tuck up underneath anymore and extends down an inch or so, it seems to make for a much smoother airflow over the rack. The two deflectors together now form a wedge across the front of the rack, and it is quiet at all speeds. Only a slight whistle can be detected over 60 M.P.H. I don’t know if other Tacoma owners (or Baja Rack owners with other vehicles) have experienced this noise, but I swear by the fix I came up with. It is very clean, and eliminates the lip that appeared when the deflector was positioned the other way. It was almost like an upside down bug deflector, and I'm almost positive that forcing the air down towards the roof of the truck over that lip caused it to hum. My only other complaints with the rack are that it came with one of the steel crossbars bent from shipping (which I was able to bend back), and after I had it finally installed with the modification, I found a little dent under one of the main steel tubes on the driver's side. This is not a huge deal, but for $705 shipped, I had hoped it would be close to perfect out of the box. It’s funny how you can inspect something so thoroughly and then find a flaw with it later on that would have seemed so obvious to discover earlier. I have noticed a loss of 1-2 M.P.G. with my rack and other accessories installed. I am hoping the mileage improves as the truck breaks in, but I can tell you it has felt a little more sluggish at interstate speeds and even wants to shift down on small hills while on cruise control where I don't recall it doing that before.

See my full build here:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/new...oma-owner.html

3. Jan 4, 2014 at 12:33 AM
    Cross2fit

Cross2fit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    San Diego (South Bay)
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    3 inch lift (fox coilovers, 5100 bilsteins in the rear, and an AAL). [url=http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/375886/cat/500][img]http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/data/500/medium/photo1425.JPG[/img][/url]
    Thanks for the info.

4. Feb 2, 2014 at 5:15 PM
    BBell

BBell Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    B
    Northwest
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma TX
    2013 Tacoma TX 4.0 6 Speed Manual Volant CAI and air scoop Volant throttle body spacer DigiFit Weathertech Kevlar Seat Covers - Grey Interior LEDs Fab Fours PreRunner Bumper Body Armor Rock Sliders Painted radiator Rigid Industries 3x3 D2's DTL lighting kit Rigid Grill and 20" SLR2 light bar Plasti- badges Plasti- front grille surround Plasti- rear bumper MATT black rear taillights Night Raider rear LED light bar :D
    Bro, that looks perfect. Low profile, looking sleek! So you just had the yakima rails on your leer, removed them and all the new mounting hardware was included with the Baja rack?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  5. Feb 2, 2014 at 5:19 PM
    BBell

BBell Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    B
    Northwest
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma TX
    2013 Tacoma TX 4.0 6 Speed Manual Volant CAI and air scoop Volant throttle body spacer DigiFit Weathertech Kevlar Seat Covers - Grey Interior LEDs Fab Fours PreRunner Bumper Body Armor Rock Sliders Painted radiator Rigid Industries 3x3 D2's DTL lighting kit Rigid Grill and 20" SLR2 light bar Plasti- badges Plasti- front grille surround Plasti- rear bumper MATT black rear taillights Night Raider rear LED light bar :D
    Good idea. What gauge?

Products Discussed in

To Top