1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Baja Roof Rack Write up (pics and info)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Molon Labe, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Jan 3, 2014 at 11:48 PM
    Passion4Outdoors

Passion4Outdoors Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma Adventure Rig
    Leer 180 Topper Baja Rack Body Armor Trail Steps All-Pro Off Road Skids Toyota Bed Mat Thule T2 916XTR Rack Salex Console Organizer Add A Leaf Husky Mud Flaps TrailSeal Tailgate Gasket WeatherGuard Floor Mats TSB Steering Shaft Rag Joint Adjustment Mod Tow Wiring Relocate Mod Tailgate Screw Mod
    My recent rack installation went okay. I did have some trouble drilling the holes through the plastic/rubber strips after I had pulled them off. There is a metal strip running inside of these and the drill bit kept slipping off to one side or the other even though I preferred the hole to be close to the center, so I used the cone shaped grinding bit on my rotary tool and ground out a hole in each one with relative precision. I had to adjust these a little by enlargening them, but once I threw silicone in there and the mounting brackets went over the strips, it came out very nicely. My first trip to work the next day with the rack was a big surprise. Man was it loud! There was a hum resonating through the whole truck from 40-60 M.P.H. even though everything was tight. It was almost like the sound of blowing across the open top of a beer bottle. Now, imagine someone doing that continuously while you are driving in that speed range. Four days later, I had the troubleshooting narrowed down to the bottom air deflector, I had to pull the rack off to do it, but I flipped the air deflector over, and, voila, the problem was fixed! Even though it doesn't tuck up underneath anymore and extends down an inch or so, it seems to make for a much smoother airflow over the rack. The two deflectors together now form a wedge across the front of the rack, and it is quiet at all speeds. Only a slight whistle can be detected over 60 M.P.H. I don’t know if other Tacoma owners (or Baja Rack owners with other vehicles) have experienced this noise, but I swear by the fix I came up with. It is very clean, and eliminates the lip that appeared when the deflector was positioned the other way. It was almost like an upside down bug deflector, and I'm almost positive that forcing the air down towards the roof of the truck over that lip caused it to hum. My only other complaints with the rack are that it came with one of the steel crossbars bent from shipping (which I was able to bend back), and after I had it finally installed with the modification, I found a little dent under one of the main steel tubes on the driver's side. This is not a huge deal, but for $705 shipped, I had hoped it would be close to perfect out of the box. It’s funny how you can inspect something so thoroughly and then find a flaw with it later on that would have seemed so obvious to discover earlier. I have noticed a loss of 1-2 M.P.G. with my rack and other accessories installed. I am hoping the mileage improves as the truck breaks in, but I can tell you it has felt a little more sluggish at interstate speeds and even wants to shift down on small hills while on cruise control where I don't recall it doing that before.

See my full build here:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/new-members/308438-new-colorado-tacoma-owner.html

2. May 26, 2015 at 10:23 AM
    mpm

mpm Well-Known Member

Member:

I'm in the same situation; I have an extremely irritating hum that vibrates the cab at speeds over 60 MPH. (I drove several hours across the state over the weekend and was very close to unbolting the rack and tossing it into the ditch) I've spoken to Baja Rack sales a few times and they claimed to be in the process of sourcing a Tacoma Baja Rack and doing some testing in order to troubleshoot the issue. Apparently, I'm not the only person having this issue right now.

I have withheld removing or modifying any part of the rack at this point, as I don't want any issues if I have to return the rack. As mentioned, a $700+ rack should NOT arrive with such a problem.

I look forward to their resolution based upon everyone's positive opinion of Baja Rack's customer support.

3. Oct 3, 2016 at 10:46 AM
    mikecoscia

mikecoscia Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Pro
    sub for later!

4. Feb 24, 2017 at 11:57 AM
    mpm

mpm Well-Known Member

Member:
    So.............what's everyone's opinions since that groupbuy last year? Have any feedback, positive or negative?

5. Feb 24, 2017 at 12:42 PM
    DrFunker

DrFunker Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mine has been on the truck for almost 2 years now and it looks and functions as good as the day I got it.

mashir likes this.
  6. Feb 24, 2017 at 12:50 PM
    mashir

mashir Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD Off-Road
    OME BP-51 full kit, SPC UCAs, FJ TRD Trail Team wheels in black, 255/85/16 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx, All-Pro aluminum front bumper and IFS skid, Slee Off-Road silders and rear tire carrier bumper, Rigid and BD lighting, Baja Rack roof rack, Bruteforce Fab bed cage, CVT RTT
    Agreed with DrFunker, mine has been in place for about 2.5 yrs, functions well, powdercoat has held up very well. It holds my Hi-Lift and a pair of TRED traction boards.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
    DrFunker likes this.
  7. Feb 24, 2017 at 12:56 PM
    mpm

mpm Well-Known Member

Member:
    That's very interesting. It appears the issues a few of us had are from more recent production runs. I'm curious if they resolved the issue with their fabrication rack (or so they claimed to me) prior to the bulk orders placed by many members from TW.

8. Feb 24, 2017 at 12:58 PM
    DrFunker

Member:
    What has been happening?

9. Feb 24, 2017 at 1:09 PM
    mpm

mpm Well-Known Member

Member:
    About a year and a half ago, some racks were being reported back to Baja with vibrations at highway speeds (per my conversations with them). I can really only speak to my situation, but I had multiple racks sent to me before we ultimately decided that a refund was the resolution. Of the several racks that were sent to me, all of them vibrated and hummed to some annoying degree at speeds over 50 mph. Upon issuing the refund, Baja Racks conceded that the fab rack was out of spec and allowing for design variations outside the usual tolerances.

I'm not looking to dogpile on the the company or their racks as much as following up to see if the problem was resolved.

10. Feb 24, 2017 at 1:14 PM
    DrFunker

Member:
    Wow. Have never had an issue with vibes at high speed.
    Interesting.
    I do have a Plano box attached to it that is pretty heavy. That probably make a difference.

Oh....it is also a utility rack, for the record.

11. Sep 16, 2021 at 9:09 AM
    Molon Labe

Molon Labe [OP] Never LBS

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Snellville
    Vehicle:
    2012 Spruce Mica DC TRD 4x4 Auto V6
    see my build
    My rack is still rock solid and aside from the original mounting points messing up my roof, I love the rack.

12. Sep 16, 2021 at 9:21 AM
    Bajarack

Bajarack Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sergio
    San Diego
    Hello Molon, please send us a couple of pics to techsupport@bajarack.com and sales@bajarack.com, and we will respond.

13. Sep 16, 2021 at 10:06 AM
    Molon Labe

Molon Labe [OP] Never LBS

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Snellville
    Vehicle:
    2012 Spruce Mica DC TRD 4x4 Auto V6
    see my build
    Sergio, you guys addressed the damage with me back in 2012 and paid for a fix a dent guys to try to repair it. We are all good and I only mentioned it in my post because there is actually no way to fix the roof any further. I am very pleased with the rack and aside form the roof damage, my experience with the rack and Baja racks has been great. For the record, My rack was one of the first racks that had to be altered for the etune antenna and the mounting channels were not as deep as previous years of Tacomas. Once i mounted it the roof was damaged by the mounts. Baja Racks redesigned the mounts and sent me a replacement set. They paid for a dent removal company to fix the roof as best as could be done. Its not perfect but Baja Racks is a stand up company and they stand by their product. I would recommend them to anyone looking for a rack.

Crom and AzogSS like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top