1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

BaK Revolver X2

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by Dutch_37, Dec 20, 2017.

1. Dec 20, 2017 at 1:28 PM
    Dutch_37

Dutch_37 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Inferno Tacoma Sport
    Hey everyone,

Trying to find out if anyone out there has this cover. I like the design and function of it. I had a gator FX3 on my previous Tacoma and loved it but I am looking for something different. I have 2 concerns with this cover.

1 - how secure is the rear of the cover (where it meets the tailgate) I have seen videos of people pulling up on it and that isn't something that I would want.

2 - Has anyone experienced the mechanism acting up when it is cold, again I have seen videos where the locking mechanism freezes up and it is impossible to roll back the cover.

I have looked at the MX4 but I really would like a good quality roll up cover and Bak makes some popular, great quality covers. Any help would be awesome.

BTW - Inferno 16DCSB

2. Dec 20, 2017 at 6:55 PM
    Truck Brigade

Truck Brigade Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Revolver X2 is a very nice quality tonneau cover. The FX3 is a nice cover as well, (it's actually a private label version of the BAKFlip Fibermax to my understanding). There's a couple of other hard rolling styles like the Revolver X2, but from our experience, they are not near the quality. In regards to the mechanism messing up in the cold, I have seen a couple of videos. However, I've had a couple years of experience with this model and complaints are typically slim to none. It offers the durability of a hard cover and the protection from the elements of a soft cover.

3. Jan 12, 2018 at 11:36 AM
    cshrum

cshrum Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    17 blue TRD sport DCLB
    bump...

Just got mine this week. Plain and simple, I love it. Install took longer than I thought, mostly due to one of the bedrail torx screws not wanting to leave. Once I got that little jerk out, it went fairly smooth. They supply you with new screws for the tonneau rail and to re-install the bed rails, so I wasn't worried about reusing the screw that was being a pain.

It was relatively warm when I installed it, but has been chilly since, so I haven't rolled it up since install night. Looks great! I love the security of the locking bar all the way along the rails, and it seems as though it'll be (mostly) waterproof. I was going to go for a tri-fold, but didn't like how you couldn't see out the back window if you have larger loads in the bed...not to mention, you can get more in the bed with the X2 rolled up than you can a tri-fold. I got mine for around $800...so they aren't cheap (as you know if you've been shopping for em). But now I have a 6 foot trunk that I can throw whatever I want in it and keep it safe.

IMG_0965.jpg

1992SR5V6 likes this.
  4. Jan 14, 2018 at 3:01 PM
    20tacoma17

20tacoma17 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB Sport AT
    Kings, 275/70/17, a few custom items, lots of Meso mods.
    You have to remove the bed rails?

5. Jan 15, 2018 at 8:12 PM
    bCaff

bCaff Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD OR DCSB
    How far back into the bed does the roll of cover extend when rolled all the way up?

I'm curious to compare to tri-fold covers similar to your statement that you can fit more into your bed with the cover rolled up instead of a tri-fold since they do extend into the bed farther than you would expect.

6. Jan 16, 2018 at 7:05 AM
    cshrum

cshrum Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    17 blue TRD sport DCLB
    Remove, yes...but you re-install them with the aluminum adapters that come with it. They go back on about 2" lower than stock. So, if you have the bed divider, I guess it won't fit any more. Since I don't, it wasn't an issue. If it gets above 11 degrees out there, I could show it off.

20tacoma17[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Jan 16, 2018 at 7:13 AM
    cshrum

cshrum Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    17 blue TRD sport DCLB
    I would guess around 6-8" from the cab? I only had it rolled all the way up once and that was during the install. I guess if you were to get the one that has the prop rod, you can likely get more into the bed, but you lose all rear visibility.

This one just checked all the boxes for me. I wanted a hard cover for security; low profile for looks; longer warranty for peace of mind; and this one has a locking rail, so there is really no way in without unlocking the tail gate.

bCaff[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Jan 16, 2018 at 8:45 PM
    cshrum

cshrum Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    17 blue TRD sport DCLB
    Looking along the underside of the tonneau here, you can see the Bak aluminum rail adapter. Where you can see the blue is where the rail used to be...so that is all the space that the rail goes down. IMO, a minimal loss of space for the flush look you get on the top side.

3E1A0F55-4C26-4975-A01F-5B17E356D111.jpg

9. Jan 16, 2018 at 8:52 PM
    20tacoma17

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB Sport AT
    Nice photo of the rail drop. I'm also looking at the new X4. Same thing but Matte finish that's supposed to match black trim..
    Thanks

CusterFan and cshrum[QUOTED] like this.
  10. Jan 17, 2018 at 8:18 AM
    cshrum

cshrum Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    17 blue TRD sport DCLB
    I haven't seen the X4 in person, but I thought the X2 was fine as far as matching goes. I don't use a "glossy" finish cleaner anyways, so it keeps it less shiny. I also couldn't justify to " the boss" the extra $100.

Post it up when you get it!

11. Jan 17, 2018 at 8:42 AM
    20tacoma17

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB Sport AT
    Just looking right now. Doing other stuff and money is tight.

CusterFan likes this.
  12. Jan 17, 2018 at 8:49 AM
    cshrum

cshrum Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    17 blue TRD sport DCLB
    I hear ya. We have a trip to AZ planned in a couple weeks, and taking stuff down to my son at Davis-Monthan AFB, and likely bringing back some souvenirs. I knew I wanted a tonneau, and after lots (and lots) of looking, I knew I wanted a roll up. Stretched our budget a bit for it, but I feel its worth it. You are headed the right direction, IMO.

20tacoma17[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Jan 31, 2018 at 6:49 PM
    Docoma Pro

Docoma Pro Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Rochester, NY
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    OVtuned 1.05 93 Perf,Undercover Elite LX, Subaru/Kicker tweeters
    Any updates from the X2/X4 owners? Overall satisfaction, especially compared to softs or hard tri-folds? Cold weather performance? Rain/Snow/Ice issues with leaking or freezing? I think the X4 is what I want but just looking for that last :thumbsup::yes:before I pull the trigger!

20tacoma17 likes this.
  14. Jan 31, 2018 at 6:57 PM
    20tacoma17

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB Sport AT
    Been watching this for awhile for same reason. Hoping to pick one up with tax return?

15. Feb 1, 2018 at 5:34 AM
    cshrum

cshrum Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    17 blue TRD sport DCLB
    Can't think of a bad thing so far from my X2. Took it through a (touchless) car wash, and the only leak points are from the front of the bed...and one of them isn't even Bak's fault. There is a hole that doesn't touch where the tonneau goes...a little lower than where the cover is. Warmth and motivation will solve that! We've had cold, but no ice/snow to speak of here in Colorado...dammit, so I can't vouch for icing issues. But I can see how it happens. Never had other tonneau's to compare this one to, but I am happy with my Revolver X2.

Docoma Pro and 20tacoma17 like this.
  16. Feb 1, 2018 at 12:52 PM
    devnull

devnull Well-Known Member

Member:
    western MA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cavalry Blue TRD Pro
    I installed my X2 in Dec and have used it in -5F to +40F temperatures since. I'm in MA. Temperature itself doesn't seem to impact latching or rolling. Ice will hinder rolling so something to keep in mind if you park outside. But...knock the ice off and you're fine. I park under cover most of the time so it's not much of an issue for me.

A little bit of water does get in from time to time, but nothing major -- even after going through a high pressure car wash.

If you need every possible inch to haul something really big you can remove the cover via 4 bolts. Cover itself is light enough to move around by yourself w/o too much trouble.

17. Feb 2, 2018 at 6:26 AM
    Docoma Pro

Docoma Pro Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Rochester, NY
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Pro Cavalry Blue
    OVtuned 1.05 93 Perf,Undercover Elite LX, Subaru/Kicker tweeters
    Awesome! Great to hear it's working out well for you. Time to place an order. DIY install not too bad I hope?

18. Feb 2, 2018 at 6:42 AM
    Auroraboy

Auroraboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    London, Ont., Canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 Quicksand DCSB Off Road
    Husky Weatherbeaters, BAK Revolver X2, front bedrail, Salex console tray, Predator Steps
    I have had a Bak Revolver X2 for about 2 years on a 2017 DCSB. I live in southern Ontario, and this is the second winter with it. My comments:

1) Low profile - fits flush to bed rails. Looks good.
    2) Well made - although the top cover is vinyl fabric - the structure underneath is primarily made up of aluminum cross rails
    3) Does lower the factory bed rails - could be an issue if you wanted to use Toyota OEM bed divider
    4) Good security - the top interlocks along the full length
    5) So so in cold freezing weather. The top will not roll up nearly as tight, like it does in warm weather. I think a trifold cover would be better in cold weather
    6) Allows you to access 90% of bed - when cover is rolled up, although less so in cold, as per 5 above
    7) OK for leaking. Not 100%, but I have not bothered to try and waterproof 100%

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    Docoma Pro and cshrum like this.
  19. Feb 2, 2018 at 9:11 AM
    devnull

devnull Well-Known Member

Member:
    western MA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cavalry Blue TRD Pro
    Took me about an hour doing it solo and not rushing. Take care when removing the factory torx bolts. I've read about some people snapping some. I used a drill/driver instead of an impact driver.

20. Feb 2, 2018 at 10:09 AM
    cshrum

cshrum Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    17 blue TRD sport DCLB
    +1 to that. I ended up stripping the last bolt (of course!), and had to use an extractor drill bit thingy to finally get it out...so that extended my install time, but that's on me for being a little too rambunctious.

Products Discussed in

To Top