1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bakflip G2 HD on 09 Tacoma Review

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by tacomian devil, Feb 27, 2009.

1. tacomian devil

tacomian devil [OP] Canadian member

Member:
    LA Canada
    Vehicle:
    SexyBlack TRD Sport DC LB w/ heated leather
    Nerf bars, Alum Knight Grill, CatBack Exhaust, Bakflip G2 HD tonneau, Dynolock electric tailgate lock, Webasto TVS 940 ST 2 panel electric sunroof, VIPER 5901 Alarm/Remote start, 3M FX PREMIUM 5% tint on back seat & rear slider, 15% on front windows. Retrofited Morimoto Projector headlights in smoked lamp housings with 35W 5000K bulbs lit by Denso slim ballasts, Gatling Gun shrouds capped with 100mm Cold Cathode Fluorescent Light rings.
    This is a review of the Bakflip G2 HD, installed on....

[​IMG]

http://www.youtube.com/swf/l.swf?sw...allow_ratings=1&title=BakFlip G2 Installation

Q1. Why did I choose Bakflip G2 HD?

Because I believe it will meet my needs better than any other product on the market.
    The "HD" for "Heavy Duty", means the panels are made of lightweight aluminum; capable of supporting 50% more weight than the G2 polymer.

http://www.bakfliptonneaucover.com/bakflip_hd

:locked:

Security - This tonneau cover is a solid, foldable, lockable (with Dynolock electric lock, or Pop & Lock tailgate locks) tonneau that is more secure than any soft roll-up type.

:duel:

I have a Dynolock electric tailgate lock on the way, which will allow me to lock the tailgate with my vehicle remote, securing the contents of the truck bed (When the tailgate is locked, the Bakflip top is secure. One must unlock and open the tailgate to open the Bakflip) I am not delusional to think the Bakflip is inpenetrable. If someone wants into the bed, they can get in just as easily as they can get into the cab... :smash:

Versatility - Fold up allows full bed access for unscheduled hauling. If you have a one-piece tonneau, you would have to go home and remove the cover and then return to pick up anything oversized you want to haul.

Delivery At the suggestion of TacomaWorld's Dark Knight, I ordered the piece from Ryan at Diversion Performance, in Leduc, Alberta, Canada, on Friday, received it Tuesday via DHL.

http://www.diversionperformance.ca/ :canada:

Price? The best price I could find for the Bakflip G2 HD type was $949 USD (incl shipping within USA only)

It just worked out that Ryan's importer was able to arrange a special price of under $1000 delivered to my door CDN ($800 USD at today's exchange).

Installation The most difficult part for me was to remove the folded panels from the shipping box (while alone) without destroying the box.

The parts were delivered like this:

[​IMG]

Once unpacked, first step is to prepare the Tacoma's factory rails for the Bakflip rails... :popcorn:

[​IMG]

You don't have to be an engineer to figure out where the best place to put the bolts is... because Bak's engineers have already made this calculation. All you need to do is slide the bolts to line up with the slots on the Bakflip rails, then lower the Bakflip rail onto those bolts, and tighten...

[​IMG]

These are the enclosed instructions which I never used whatsoever...

:lalala:

[​IMG]

In order for the final piece to secure to my tailgate, it was necessary to adjust the width of the 'catches'. Without widening the latches, it was possible to wiggle open the cover while the tailgate was closed. Once the latches were widened, the cover closed securely.

I read a review on the Bakflip G2 where the author said he found some 'extra' self-tapping screws in the packing, but didn't know what they were for. I am convinced that the screws (which I did not receive) would be added to this final latch below, once the final position of these latches was determined for additional strength...

[​IMG]

A potential security problem is the gap between the closed cover and the tailgate. When I Contacted Bak (Thanks for the tip, Scooter), they offered to send a couple pieces of (complimentary) weatherstipping to fill this gap, to reduce the ease of opening the cover with a coat hanger...

[​IMG]

To save my two corner bed holes for additional "D-rings" I decided to re-route the drainage to the centre hole...

[​IMG]

Close-up of the aquaduct exit... I couldn't find the single piece that tfrax found, so I had to build this :crazy: apparatus...

[​IMG]

The final product... before installation of Dynolock... :cheers::rockband:

[​IMG]

The back edges look somewhat unfinished...

[​IMG]

Next step...

Dynolock electric tailgate lock for tailgates with camera...

http://www.dynolock.com/tota20upwita.html

then...

http://www.webastoshowroom.com/900info.html

Hope this helps some of you out there decide if this cover suits your needs or not.

Tacomian Devil:burnrubber:

:canada:

2. Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD OR S/C 4x4
    TRD S/C, Full OME Suspension, LR UCAs, Relentless Front Bumper, Derpwerx Fab HC Rear Bumper, 285/75/16 Revos, XD Hoss Wheels, Safari Snorkel, Infiniti FX-R HID Retrofit, Airbags in rear, Optima Yellow top, Besttop, All-Pro Skid, All-Pro HD Sliders
    good review. I give it 12 months before the rubber starts falling off... :thumbsup:

3. longbow

longbow I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    Very good write up, like all the pictures and info.........

4. tacomian devil

Member:
    LA Canada
    Vehicle:
    Nerf bars, Alum Knight Grill, CatBack Exhaust, Bakflip G2 HD tonneau, Dynolock electric tailgate lock, Webasto TVS 940 ST 2 panel electric sunroof, VIPER 5901 Alarm/Remote start, 3M FX PREMIUM 5% tint on back seat & rear slider, 15% on front windows. Retrofited Morimoto Projector headlights in smoked lamp housings with 35W 5000K bulbs lit by Denso slim ballasts, Gatling Gun shrouds capped with 100mm Cold Cathode Fluorescent Light rings.
    Delmarva,

Is it just the rubber seals that you have issue with, or is it the whole design, company, ??? :devil:

5. 2009Taco

2009Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Highlander
    I was all set to buy the regular BackFlip G2, then I read some of the posts on this forum (leaking, unfinished corners, rubber breaking down, not sealing properly or just falling off, and it caused me to go back to my search.

Please let me know how you like this, after you've had it on for a few days, or been through some rain or a carwash :)

As for me, it's looking like I will be going with the Extang Solid Fold.

6. ThreeMan

ThreeMan Opinions Vary...

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 V6 TRD SWB Long Bed
    Eibach Springs with Billstien 5100's, Back Flip G2 bed cover w/ Custom Drains, Eagle Eye LED tail lights, Wade In-channel Vent Visors, K&N Filter, 20% on the fronts, Rain-X Latitude Blades, Rear AAL TSB, 4 Tie Down Mod, Pop N Lock, Step Tubes, Billet Grille, Weathertech Mats, LED Map and Dome Lights, Optima Yellow Top, Tunes: Eclipse 7100 HU - Eclipse IPC-106 Interface - Audison LRX 5.1K - Hertz Mille MLK2 Components - JL 13TW5 - JL cables and wires - Fully Deadened with SDS products - Metra dash kit - Custom Sub Box and Amp Rack -Redline Elite Hood Struts - Still Under Construction.
    I have had the G2 Bakflip for close to a year now, in all weather. Great accessibility to the bed. Very quick transition. Aside form the afore mentioned discrepancies, the only downside is minor wear on the the rubber from travel when folded. Other than that, I love it.:)

7. Scooter

Scooter Canadian Member

Member:
    Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab TRD Sport Short Box
    Pop n Lock Power Tailgate Lock, Bak Flip Tonneau Cover, Factory DLR installed, Defrost with A/C Off, EZ Down Tailgate Damper, Code Alarm Security System with Remote Starter, Rear Spring TSB, Ming rust proofing & paint treatment, 3M fabric protector, Cargo Mat, Scanguage II, DYI Illuminated 4X4 Switch, Versa-Gate box extender & cargo divider, Toyota Roof Rails, Grom USB Audio adapter with bluetooth, LED Bed lights, OEM Backup Camera with LCD Display Mirror
    Nice write-up, Tacomian Devil!

I've had my G2 for 7 months now. It has gone through the deserts of Utah in 104 degree heat,:tumbleweed: -45 degree Canadian winter, :canada:heavy rainfall, :rain:car washes, and freezing rain. No issues. My stuff stayed dry and secure. :locked:I love the access, and no canister. I needed to move a large table and desk for my mom, and I simply flipped it out of the way. As Tacomian Devil mentioned, I didn't have to take it off and leave it behind. And Bak Industries is very willing to send out weather stripping for free. I love my G2 and wifey thinks it's the best thing we bought last year other than the Taco itself.

8. ComaTosin

ComaTosin The Not So New guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Atlanta, GA
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 PreRunner
    see my sig
    I have been researching this and other products to make the best possible decision on my purchase of a new tonneau for my 06 taco DC SB. Ran across this and thought people would find it interesting (esp those who hate this product - might like that direct email addy!!). happy reading......

Hello all,

My name is Julian Maimin and I am the owner of BAK Industries.

After reading many comments and questions on this site about BakFlip, I thought I would share the most up to date information on BakFlip G2 with all of you.

After sending out a few thousand BakFlip G1 covers between Feb and June of this year, we unfortunately came to find out that many of the components used were ultimately failing. This was largely a result of defective rubber seals / 3M adhesive combination which we only found out about due to failures in the market. There were a few issues with gas struts as well on the G1, which put an uneccessary amount of strain on the covers, but the seals seemed to be the primary plaguing issue.

After much hair pulling, frustration and effort, I, along with my key staff sat down and decided to re-engineer the BakFlip from top to bottom, rather than try to put a bandage on the G1. The result is the BakFlip G2 which we introduced late in July of this year.

The new G2 is a far more robust product. The first change made was to the seals. Rather than rely on adhesives, we redesigned the panel frames to accommodate a rubber seal that applied with a tongue and groove design. Kind of like a lock and key. The rubber is fed onto the frames and has resulted in a superb finish which is as strong as nails and absolutely cannot fail.

Next we got away from having to use any tools. All you need now is a single wrench. The install is far shorter and the components used are professional grade knobs etc.

We also changed the Aluminum on the cover, adding 28% more aluminum. The result is heavier panels. In addition the aluminum panel frames have no tape under them. The design underneath encompasses integrated drains, rendering the G2 almost 100% water-tight.

The gas struts never did lock properly on the G1 and as mentioned, put unecessary strain on the unit. We therefor changed to a locking arm-stay on each side. This puts no pressure on the cover and will also keep the cover locked in place so you can drive with it open.

The latches under the cover are now modular. They can be slid fom side to side which allows a real tweaking of the locking feature if required.

All in all, the new BakFlip G2, although similar looking in appearance, has undergone a complete overhail. The result is a phenominal cover that will surely walk away with most awards in it's category this year at SEMA.

I have posted a video of the G2 on YouTube at the following link: http://www.youtube.com/v/NWH0r7gAjsc

I invite all of you to review it and share your comments and suggestions with me at my personal e mail address : julian@bakliner.com

I'd like to leave you with an assurance that I, along with my entire coimpany is 100% dedicated to producing the finest truck bed covers on the market. If we are not, I need to hear about it. I believe in this new G2 with all of my being and trust that you will as well.

Thank you all for the support you've shown over the years and thank you for your honesty. It's allowed us to make a brilliant product.

Kindest regards,

Julian Maimin - CEO
    BAK Industries
    7307 Coldwater Canyon Ave.
    N. Hollywood CA 91605
    (818) 764-0031 Fax (818) 764-4750
    bak_home.jpg

9. Faskev

Faskev Well-Known Member

Member:
    I just purchased this exact setup from Diversion Performance in Leduc, AB and I am super happy with it. I like that it allows full access to the bed without having to remove it. With the cover installed properly there is no way someone could reach in between the cover and the tailgate. A potential theif would have to really do some heavy prying with a prybar to get into the box. The cover is just as or if not more secure than the cab as all it takes is to smash a window. The cover does a good job of keeping things dry. Since running the drain hoses directly into the box drains using a hose barb I haven't seen any water get into the box.

I'm not sure if the Bakflip HD is a better design than the G2 but I haven't experienced any of the problems that seem to be associated with the G2.

I highly recommend this cover as it does many things very well!

10. moorefun

moorefun Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM DC TRD PreRunner
    I just got one of these covers, and a Dyno Lock. I really like it alot. The one thing that I didn't like was the way the drain tubes hooked up. I drilled holes in my bed side and ran the tube there. I think it is much cleaner and wont get snagged on anything in the bed.

BakFlip.jpg

11. Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Indego Ink TRD OR
    Electric Tail Gate Lock, EZ Down + Cable Mod, Galvanized Underbody, DK 9000, CloudRider SS Grill insert. BakFlip HD, Cabin Air Filter mod, Alarm, Zero Rust !
    That's weird. My BakFlip HD actually overlaps the tail gate.The back seal sits perfect just where it is suppose to be. Looks like you got gypped a inch. There is no way in hell you could get your fingers in there like that on mine. You'd loose your fingers. There is no way they would fit. It sits right on top of the tailgate with the seal on the outside of the tailgate cover.

12. moorefun

moorefun Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM DC TRD PreRunner
    When I first put mine on it was too far forward, and left it short in the back. I slid it to the rear where the seal hung over the rear of the tailgate. There is still plenty of coverage in the front to maintain a seal.

13. tacomian devil

Member:
    LA Canada
    Vehicle:
    Over 2 years old, and through two Canadian winters; still loving this tonneau cover. Anyone looking for a tonneau cover, I recommend this one without reservation (Bakflip HD)

14. tacomian devil

Member:
    LA Canada
    Vehicle:
    BAKFLIP G2 Longevity update:

Cover is over 3 & 1/2 years old, opened and closed every week, and is still working as well as day 1. Very little (if any) noticeable color fading despite though truck parked outside a minimum of 8 hours for 5 of 7 days every week since installed.

15. firetaco18

firetaco18 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Central New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2013 Blacked out Access Cab, 4x4
    Dipped grill surround Dipped emblems Dipped 3rd brake light Moromito D2S Projector headlights 5000k white hid Switchback turnsignals Console/glovebox organizer Red led grill lights White led grill lights Red led footwell lights Marine rocker switches Blue/white interior emergency light bar Coverking Neosupreme seat covers Weathertech Digital floormats Winjet fog lights Led interior lights Tonno Pro trifold tonneau cover White led bed lights Fire extinguisher bed rail mount IPCW led tail lights Tailgate light bar Debadged Fog anytime OEM Bed mat 20% tint TRD FJ black wheels Morimoto XB white halos OEM Running boards Always on 12V plugs WeatherTech stone guard WeatherTech window deflectors OEM retractable bed step TRD grill badge OEM bed divider Steelcraft tail light guards TRD skid plate ARE cap z-series led blue emergency lights N-Fab grill bar 20" led light bar Famous Fabrication hood hinge light bracket 4x 3" led pods TRS led fogs cal-hawk shackle mount w/ lock
    Someone wants to sell me one for $400 used for less than one year. Go for it or haggle the price down?

To Top