1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Balancing or something else?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by techgeekwill, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Jun 3, 2010 at 7:48 AM
    techgeekwill

techgeekwill [OP] Captain Funk

Member:
    Spring, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Tiberland Mica DC LB
    Rotated my tires two weeks ago f-b. Shortly after, noticed the balance was out. Took it in to get balanced, still there, went back, still there.

So, I've had the tires balanced twice, and now when I drive between 60-75, I get vibration in the steering wheel just like it's out of balance.

Before this is moved to the wheel and tire forum, I wanted to see if anyone else has had any issues like this. Wondering if it is something in the steering or suspension.

They are the stock dunflops on 16" prerunner steel wheels. That might just be the problem.

2. Jun 3, 2010 at 7:56 AM
    dbarn

dbarn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4X4 V6
    Not the best tires for sure. Recently had a new set put on and they used the sticky weights on the inside. Was getting some vibration. Carried it back and they used regular lead weights on both the inside and outside of the wheel. Problem went away.

3. Jun 8, 2010 at 8:57 AM
    techgeekwill

Member:
    Spring, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Tiberland Mica DC LB
    Got them balanced for the third time on Saturday. Same issue is there.

Looks like I might just have to get some new shoes.

4. Jun 8, 2010 at 9:02 AM
    Jester243

Jester243 mod status????

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    Have the balance rechecked. If possible ask them to use the good old hammer on typo weights as the sticky weights can somtimes come off when driving. Also have them looked at to make sure they are not out or round, seperating or have an odd wear pattern that could contribute to vibration.

5. Jun 8, 2010 at 9:08 AM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Chief Pal Guy, GOB

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Palmer, AK
    If you rotate them back, just for trouble shooting, and the vibration/shimmy goes away or moves to the rear, i.e. less noticeable in the steering wheel, that would confirm the new shoes required theory (out of round or something)...I've never had much luck with the Dunlop tires; and the OEM ones are some of the worst...that's just my opinion...I know many folks haven't experienced any problems with them.

I doubt they got the balance wrong three times in a row. And if the all was good before the rotation, an alignment problem is not very likely.

6. Jun 8, 2010 at 9:09 AM
    WILLIAM ROBERT

WILLIAM ROBERT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Edmonton
    Vehicle:
    it's blue
    what's the tread pattern look like? Are the tires cupped, or worn funny? That is an indication of alignment problems or worn out suspension components.
    what's the tire pressure in each tire? are they the same? Most vehicles these days need the same pressure. 2 lbs difference from left to right will make the truck pull funny.
    Did the tire shop balance the tires correctly? Do you trust them? Did they do a dynamic or static balance? How many weights are on each wheel? If one wheel has a lot more weights than the rest, then they probably had trouble balancing that one, either because of the tire or the wheel. put it to the back see if that solves your problem.
    Did the tire shop use only an impact gun to zip on your wheels? Or did they use a torque wrench as well? Most shops just use a gun, and the 15 year old that they have doing the job thinks that tighter is better.
    Don't buy new tires until you have narrowed down the problem. Otherwise you might have the same problem, just with less money in your jeans.
    But...sometimes Daddy just needs a new pair of shoes.

BillyBob

7. Jun 8, 2010 at 9:52 AM
    techgeekwill

Member:
    Spring, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Tiberland Mica DC LB
    They haven't used any sticky weights. The last person to balance them was the manager who looked as though he'd been working on tires for 20 odd years.

The ones that were taken off the front were rounded at the edge, due to camber when turning. Those are on the back now. He did show me that one of the tires on the rear is out of round. But the shimmy isn't coming from the rear.

I am planning on rotating back this weekend at some point. Just for schevitz and giggles.

These are the worst tires I've ever had. Aside from this, I also have sidewalk indentations in all 4 that have not come out in 18k.

To Top