1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ball hitch in rear bumper?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by vincenzo4x4, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Jan 25, 2012 at 6:09 PM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    i know im just saying i used mine quite a bit in the past.

if you destroy the rear bumper by pulling with it, the frame will be messed up too

youd have to yank pretty hard and not be using proper recovery gear to do damage. nylon tow straps even when yanking are a "soft" pull.

2. Jan 25, 2012 at 6:20 PM
    jackhart

jackhart Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    11 DCLB
    have no interest in getting into an internet pissing contest about wheeling with you, because it's pointless, but you have not a single clue how hard i wheel. or what i wheel with. or where i have wheeled. but i guess you are the king of all hardcore wheelers and we should all bow down to your all knowingness...:bowdown:

if you are trying to say the rear bumper is just as strong as a properly mounted receiver hitch, you would be wrong. that isn't an opinion, that's a fact. saying someone should use the bumper as a recovery point is actually what is stupid. and dangerous. you've done it without incident. so far. congratulations. darwin hasn't caught up with you yet. i have witnessed rear bumpers being torn off. shockloads in recovery situations can FAR exceed the rated capacity of the rear bumper (or the recovery equipment you are using for that matter). just because it hasn't happened to you yet does not mean it is good advice to do it.

if you wheel "hardcore" and your recovery angles are "that" important to you, then you are probably going to want to attach stronger recovery points to the rear of your vehicle anyway, rather than install a receiver hitch. or buy an aftermarket bumper with an integrated hitch, or add recovery points to the aftermarket bumper. but if you aren't worried about the extra few degrees you are losing, a receiver hitch will outperform the rear bumper by a longshot. it is alot safer to boot. THAT's why.

3. Jan 25, 2012 at 6:25 PM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    no, im just fucking around.

from experience, if recovering properly, the rear bumper will hold up fine. It uses the same mounting points as a rear hitch. Yes a rear hitch is tougher but not as tough as aftermarket bumper but if you need a tougher recovery point than the stock bumper for wheeling, a hitch is not the answer. a hitch could just as easily be ripped off

4. Jan 25, 2012 at 6:28 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!

This^^

5. Jan 25, 2012 at 6:31 PM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    :drunk:A hitch would be stronger than the rear bumper

but the stock bumper holds up fine

6. Jan 25, 2012 at 6:33 PM
    jackhart

jackhart Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    11 DCLB
    do not agree for many reasons. if the hitch were not stronger, you could not tow more with the hitch than with the stock bumper. the rating of the hitch is almost twice that of the bumper. granted that does not mean it has twice the recovery strength of the bumper, but it does have considerably more.

but where i DO agree with you is that an aftermarket bumper - especially one with frame tie ins - is certainly the best and safest bet (and most expensive). and better departure angles too :thumbsup:

7. Jan 25, 2012 at 6:34 PM
    Oat

Oat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2001 Prerunner
    Gibson Exhaust, Painted factory steel wheels, Chrome wheel caps, K&N Air intake, Tint, Regular Bilstein (yellow/blue) all around, Leveling spacer kit upfront, Partially de-badged, Westin Bullbar with skidplate, White, Double Cab Prerunner SR5
    You'll just pull your bumper off. Your best bet is to go with a OEM class IV hitch, (more expensive) or a curt, hidden hitch, u-haul, etc. Hitch setup, which are good quality and less expensive.

Plug the 2" into the receiver and set up a recovery shakle to that, and you're good to go.

But please just keep that little bumper plug in the bumper where it belongs ;)

8. Jan 25, 2012 at 6:41 PM
    wmdpowell

wmdpowell Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Essex county NY
    Vehicle:
    23 trd OR DCSB 4x4 silver
    a cross on my rearview Circle mirror Scotch guard seats
    I got a Valley Trailer Hitch from auto anything (they also have a comparable Curt hitch, but i couldn't use a 15% coupon on it). It installs easy, just need to torque and is sure to be a sure and safe recovery point.

My truck is an 11 so it might be different but I thought the bumper hitch by itself was rated at 300 or 1300.

9. Jan 25, 2012 at 7:30 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    this is what holds on your bumper without a hitch (2pcs of thin 12 ga stamped steel)

[​IMG]

I would not use the bumper without a hitch as a recovery point if I was stuck. I could stand on my bumper and it would flex when I had those brackets on (after I sold my hitch). Worst case I would wrap the strap around my frame and pull from there.

The OE hitch is great and ties the whole rear end together better then any aftermarket one so keep an eye out for one OP

this is much better then 2 pcs of 12ga stamped poop
    [​IMG]

10. Jan 25, 2012 at 7:36 PM
    zachc113

zachc113 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yea get a hitch mounted. the bumper i want to say is only rated for 1500 pounds. Thats nowhere near how much force is needed to pull out a stuck truck. Theyll also help if you get in a small rear fender bender cause youll have a piece of steel between your bumper and bed.

11. Jan 26, 2012 at 5:07 AM
    maineah

maineah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    4X4 SR5 V6 6spd
    The biggest issue would be not pulling dead on any thing to the side is going to bend some thing yeah it might not rip the bumper off but it's going to look funny sticking out to one side.

12. Jan 26, 2012 at 5:14 PM
    jw1983

jw1983 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    13' Tacoma Access 4x4 OR
  13. Mar 7, 2012 at 7:10 PM
    azreb

azreb Geezer

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    '20 SR5 crew cab; gray
    camper shell, front camera, floor mats, cheap bed mat, dash camera, catalytic converter cover, fumoto
    I would suggest a good receiver hitch. I towed a utility trailer attached to the bumper of a T100 several trips, with probably at most 1000 pounds, over a fairly rough road when moving here. After a few trips, I noticed the bumper supports were cracking. I put a frame-mounted receiver hitch on it and had no more problems.

14. Mar 7, 2012 at 8:45 PM
    wmdpowell

wmdpowell Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Essex county NY
    Vehicle:
    23 trd OR DCSB 4x4 silver
    a cross on my rearview Circle mirror Scotch guard seats
    I leave a hitch or recovery shackle in the receiver. I reminds the people behind me not to text and drive.

15. Feb 9, 2013 at 4:14 PM
    Usmcsantosj

Usmcsantosj Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jovani
    Orlando, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport
    By order: Tinted windows, WeatherTech liners added, NFab's, bar caddy center console, plasti-dipped emblems and rims.

Products Discussed in

To Top