1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ball joint replacement

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by BrianPK, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Nov 4, 2008 at 2:54 PM
    BrianPK

BrianPK [OP] Offroad Enthusiast

Member:
    Modesto, California
    Vehicle:
    01 TRD 4WD V6 SR5
    CB Radio, 3'' fabtec spacer lift and 3'' body lift flowmaster dual exhaust, deckplate mod, silencer mod, Work in progress pioneer 7900bt stereo with 5X8 infinity speakers all around, and eclipse ex400 amp
    Howdy Y'all!

Hope everyone's halloween was fricken off the hook!

On to business:

Went 4wheelin the other day, was kind of hard on my truck (had a potential girlfriend in the passenger seat, and she likes to go fast....)

Anyways, we went out to lunch the other day, and while she was in the rest room, i crawled up in my wheel well, and looked things over

the upper ball joint on the passenger side tore the dust boot and is leaking grease all over the place.

is this something i can repair myself? do i need a whole new ball joint? i don't recall selling just the dust boots when i worked for pepboys..

am i going to need any special tools? and should i replace them both? i remember a recall on my years ball joints, but toyota gave me the runaround when i tried to cash in... was it the uppers? should i get in their ass again?

i know i have a lot of questions... just getting ready for a big maintenance overhaul: Brakes, rotors, shoes, rear wheel seals, maybe wheel bearings, Clutch, possibly the slave cylinder, tranny and transfer case gear oil, ball joints, shocks, and a few other asthetic upgrades (bed bar, push bar, and other off roady goodies!

2. Nov 4, 2008 at 3:21 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    This is a PERFECT time to upgrade your UCA's to some Total Chaos!
    Its an easy swap. Basic tools and your golden! :)

3. Nov 4, 2008 at 5:35 PM
    350TacoZilla

350TacoZilla Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hancock MD
    Vehicle:
    1997 3RZ 5spd 4x4 Reg Cab
    2.7L 3RZ,K&N filter, 4" deck plate mod,flowmaster 40 series,3" suspension lift, hybrid 52"chevy/toyota rear springs.
    ha ha yeah what he said..... but yeah you should be able to get just a new boot... the ball joints are actually more difficult to remove then to re-install ...couple sockets,ratchet,pickle fork and a hammer and you will be fine

4. Nov 4, 2008 at 6:33 PM
    SRFIVE

SRFIVE Well-Known Member

Member:
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    '09 SR5 AC
    I was lucky enough to have a press to push them out. Word to the wise there is a snap ring that you have to take off first! It may be covered up by grease and dirt...but you want to pry that off first. The recall (I think it was actually just a TSB) was for the lowers. Toyota charged me $35.67 each for new OEM ones (with boot of course).

5. Nov 5, 2008 at 4:41 PM
    BrianPK

BrianPK [OP] Offroad Enthusiast

Member:
    Modesto, California
    Vehicle:
    01 TRD 4WD V6 SR5
    CB Radio, 3'' fabtec spacer lift and 3'' body lift flowmaster dual exhaust, deckplate mod, silencer mod, Work in progress pioneer 7900bt stereo with 5X8 infinity speakers all around, and eclipse ex400 amp
    control arms eh?? what are the benefits? cost?

6. Nov 5, 2008 at 4:56 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Pros = Corrects steering geometry, restores lost caster due to lift. Uniball instead of Ball joint for more strength. Most are tube steal as opposed to factory stamped steel. More clearance for larger tires. More travel (depending on coil/shock)
    Cons = kinda expensive.
    Check out Total Chaos to see how much they are for your truck. :)

Products Discussed in

To Top