1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ball Joint? Steering issues? Help Please

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 12guns, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Dec 23, 2009 at 6:18 AM
    12guns

12guns [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Rville, AR
    Vehicle:
    96' Tacoma 4x4
    Hello to all...
    I remember the steering not returning to center a couple years ago, turned out to lower ball joints. Was an easy bolt on install. Now the steering feels the same, but the lower ball joints are fairly new and look to be fine. How about uppers? Can the cause this? I know they've never been replaced. Power Steering pump is fine and quiet...anything else cause steering to be squirly and not return to center all the way? When I'm driving around town it feels like it's "sticking" and then breaks loose when I turn the wheel giving it a "rough" feeling...

2. Dec 23, 2009 at 6:23 AM
    Afwrestler1986

Afwrestler1986 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Johnstown, NY
    Vehicle:
    01 trd 4X4 ex cab manual
    Gray wire, Some lights in the bed area, and some character marks throughout.
    Steering rack bushings. As old as the truck is I would reccomend picking the bushing kit up from wheelers for the low price of 16 bucks. Try that.

3. Dec 23, 2009 at 6:26 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    What johnv said...

Plus...check steering rack bushings, check steering fluid...

When was the last time you had an allignment?

Jackup the front end. Have someone steer (truck running) and try to watch and locate rough spots. Take notice to movement, leaks, etc.

4. Dec 23, 2009 at 6:39 AM
    12guns

12guns [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Rville, AR
    Vehicle:
    96' Tacoma 4x4
    Wow, thanks for the fast replies! I replaced my steering rack bushings a couple years ago, doubt that's the problem, but I'll check it none the less. PS fluid is topped off, no problems there, pump is working fine. I''ll check inner/outer tie rod ends, however inners have both been replaced more than once is the not too distant past. Thanks! Anything else? I know the lower ball joints caused these symptoms last time, but they are not leaking, not torn,and are only 20k miles old. Do uppers have any pressure on them? Possibly cause the same symptoms?

5. Dec 26, 2009 at 6:32 PM
    Air_Ops

Air_Ops Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    N.W. VT
    Vehicle:
    01 Ltd Dbl Cab
    TRD Headers, Cat Back Exhaust, Airaid Intake Tube, LC Engineering Throttle Body Gasket, Bilstein 5100 Series Shocks, Wheeler's Add-A-Leaf, LC Engineering Tundra Brake Kit, Re-Framed
    I could be the Ball Joint again. I dependes on what brand were put in when you had them last replaced. If they were not Toyota ($$$) then I would have them checked, I had mine replaced at 105,00 (truck was manufactured 6 weeks before the recall for ball joints) the shop that installed the replacements said they were as good as oem, they were not. They failed about 30,00 miles later, with very expensive results. This time I did them myself using parts from companies I felt I could trust.

To Top