1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ball Joints worries

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by pmesfun, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Jul 13, 2011 at 10:49 PM
    pmesfun

pmesfun [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hey guys, I have a 99 and 07 Avalon, but this is for my friend's 01 Tacoma. It has 200k miles and while I was changing the Driver's side front caliper I noticed the upper and lower ball joints were leaking grease. The is also a clank coming from that area every time he hits the brake pedal. This problem was there before the caliper was replaced. I'm thinking the control arm or ball joints may be shifting? I will do the 12 and 6/3 and 9 test Sat. too. I did a search on the forum and found ball joints are an issue on these trucks. I am planning on changing Driver's side front ball joints on Saturday, but after reading on this forum it probably would be best/safest to do both sides, correct? Also, any special tools need to separate the ball joints?

Thanks,
    Phil

2. Jul 13, 2011 at 11:14 PM
    UndefinedTaco

UndefinedTaco I'll eat all your food.

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Tracy, CA
    Vehicle:
    Toyota
    It's an 89 Toyota Pickup. I got some stuff done to it.. FJ axles going under it soon.
    4WD/Prerunner or 2WD mini?

You'll need a pickle fork, and possibly a pitman arm puller(for the tie rod ends..sometimes they don't wanna come off)

I'd advise just jack lower control arm up with a lil bit of preload on the spring..then put wood underneath the caliper/hub...and if you plan on removing both balljoints at the same time..UNDO THE BRAKE LINE MOUNTS..or you might pinch a brake line.

To Top