1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

BamaToy's Garage and Diagnostic Center.

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by BamaToy1997, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Oct 24, 2013 at 8:13 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 [OP] Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    Yeah, I know, sounds funny, but I am going with it.

So after having dozens of PMs each month, or having my username called out in several threads asking for specific help, Chris and I have agreed that I should start a thread for those who specifically want some assistance from me. Many times I have members PM me to enter a "help me with xxx" thread to offer my input. I get busy at work and with my bearings, but I do enjoy offering up any information that may help. I have access to Alldata, as well as wiring schematics and I will be willing to help out where I can. (Please do not flood me with requests to post wiring diagrams for your car. This is a paid contract I have with them, and I am told that I am not to directly share them, but I will do my best to help out)

If you do want some technical help I ask that you please follow the basics and supply the following information when you do ask for help:

Year:
    Make:
    Model:
    (including if Pre-runner, SR5, TRD, etc)
    Engine size:

On top of this basic information it would be VERY helpful to include:

Is a lift installed:
    Aftermarket components:
    (this means ANY changes from factory parts including AIR intake, CAC intake, headers, Supercharger not factory? Include this)
    Is there an alarm system installed: (not one that is ACTIVE, but are the wires still wired up under the dash?)
    When did you first notice the problem?:
    How often does it occur?:
    What have you ALREADY replaced to try and fix it?:
    Have you checked codes?:
    (If so, list ALL of the codes, not just the ones you believe are important)

While this IS a Tacoma and Toyota forum, I do not mind offering up help with other makes/Models. But I do prefer to help mostly with Toyota at this point, even though I have 20+ years with GM.

Hell this thread may fall on it's face for all I know. I just thought I would throw it out there since Chris and I both agree it might be useful. I hope that it will catch on like JDMCQ's Garage. If not, oh well, I tried! Hahaha.

chrisjul, Arailt, Hairy Taco and 8 others like this.
  2. Oct 24, 2013 at 8:28 PM
    jmg256

jmg256 Calmer than you are

Member:
    First Name:
    Al Tonter
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    Bilstein 5100 front/rear (front at .85), Hayden 678 Trans Cooler, 20% tint, Curt Hitch/Wiring Harness, Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Mats (Black), Wet Okole Seat Covers (Black), Cooper Discoverer ATP 265/75/16, LED Map/Dome lights, ImMrYo bracket, Debadged, Extang Tuff Tonno.
    :thumbsup: tip of the hat to you, sir

3. Oct 24, 2013 at 10:22 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    I'm here for the shenanigans, 1+ for you :cheers:

4. Oct 25, 2013 at 5:21 AM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    Thanks
    Oh great, now I'll never get the single ladies in here. :cool:

Thanks for the support all! Now I just need to get me a cup of coffee...:pccoffee:

5. Oct 31, 2013 at 8:32 AM
    SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-road
    Did you say single ladies? I will see if I can find that picture for you...:D

6. Oct 31, 2013 at 8:57 AM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    DON'T....YOU...DARE!!!!

7. May 7, 2015 at 3:52 PM
    gupster88

gupster88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Almost Heaven, WV
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement Grey Off Road
    Stock
    Are you still offering some diagnostic help? If so I have a brake issue I'd like to pick your brain about :thumbsup:

8. May 8, 2015 at 8:22 PM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    What you got going on man?

9. May 9, 2015 at 2:53 AM
    gupster88

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Almost Heaven, WV
    Vehicle:
    Stock
    201 TRD Off Road. Bilstein 5100's set at 0 with OME 884 coils on the front / 5100s on the rear with an AAL on. 265/75-16 tires on my wheels. No other mods. Anyway, a couple weeks ago I took the kids to school and noticed my front brakes were grinding like they were dragging. Never happened before so I was confused as to what to do. I eventually went in a parking lot and took off at about 10-15 mph, slammed on the brakes a few times, and they released. I thought maybe it was some debris around the pads from the bad weather we'd had. Well, it happened again 2 morning ago. This time I came back home and jacked up the front end, took the tires off, and got to looking. the back side 2 pistons were compressed enough to be putting pressure on the pads, no matter what I couldn't get them to decompress back off. the front side ones seemed to be compressed too but i was able to loosen them with some pressure. I checked the brake lines for air, no air in the lines. the rods holding the pads are extremely rusted and corroded. I lubed them up and put the wheels back on since I had to work in a little bit. I was able to use the same method in my driveway to free them up by slamming on the brakes. Since then, haven't had any issues. From what I've read this could be a caliper issue. My rotors do not seem to be warped, and my pads arent unevenly worn either.

10. May 9, 2015 at 4:18 AM
    Gearheadesw

Gearheadesw must modify

Member:
    Davenport Fl
    Vehicle:
    1 truck 1 car 1 motorcycle
    Great thread, always take Bama Toys advice seriously.
    Lubing prob fixed the sticking piston in the caliper.

11. May 9, 2015 at 4:25 AM
    koditten

koditten Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    Reserected from the dead.
    I'm in. My complements to you...I hope you didn't bite off more than you can chew.

Let's start the insanity!

KO

12. May 10, 2015 at 7:36 AM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:

A few things to check:

Remove brake line from caliper. Can you now freely move the pistons? (Note that fluid will come out of the caliper, so be sure to reconnect line and bleed after checking)
    If piston moved freely inspect brake line for areas in the rubber that may have collapsed. If all looks good, inspect brake master cylinder.
    If piston did NOT move freely then I would recommend removing the caliper(s) and removing the pistons, looking for possible rust and/or corrosion. If rusted or corroded, see if you can find a rebuild kit at the parts store, or price a new caliper. (Best prices at RockAuto.com)

Thanks, and that is a good suggestion.

Hahaha. I am always open for helpful advice if needed. I am not as active as I used to be and would like to change that!

13. May 13, 2015 at 7:47 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    OK, so I have the following issues. I wheel my truck so I'm cognizant of the stress I've done to my poor beast, but I have a 600mi road trip (highway commute) this weekend and I'm wondering if I need to take a different vehicle. Video at bottom covering most things.

Issues:
    1. When driving I have a 'woom woom' sound from the tires.
    2. My passenger side hub has a 'rolling marble' sound (see video near 3:30), I assume this is a bad wheel hub
    3. When I jack up a wheel and rotate the tire, the rotor hisses. I don't have any brake rumble. (see video)
    4. I have a vibration in the brake and gas, it's probably not as strong as a cell phone vibrating.
    5. About once a day or less I get a loud bang when leaving my driveway (I pull out backwards, down a hill), or when I pull headfirst into a parking spot. Direction of wheel travel does not matter. It 'feels' like it is on the driver side, and feels like something is binding right before the bang, but I often anticipate it and it doesn't end up happening. The bang is loud enough to be heard inside and out on the vehicle, and the steering wheel will cock very slightly.
    6. When I jack up the driver side (all other tires on ground), I can pull on the rear of the tire and I get a tapping noise (see video at beginning)

• Year: 2008
    • Make: Toyota
    • Model: Tacoma DCSB 4x4 TRD OR
    • Engine size: V6
    • Mileage 101,000
    • Is a lift installed:
      • Lift installed at 20k miles. OME front and rear, 886 springs
      • Light Racing UCAs. Installed Spec Ride poly bushings about last year or so.
      • sway bar removed many years ago
      • 1.25" SpiderTrax spacers installed last month, about 1k miles ago
    • Aftermarket components:
      • 255/85/16 BFG KM2 mud tires
      • stock rims
      • front plate bumper
      • winch
      • steel front and mid skid plates
      • I have a very organized build thread (link at bottom) with hotlinks if there's any other questions that I forgot that pertain to the matter
    • Is there an alarm system installed: yes
    • When did you first notice the problem?
      • 'woom woom' sound has been going on for about 2 years or so, I think it might just be the BFGs.
      • The 'marble' sound I diagnosed yesterday
      • The hissing sound of the rotating tire has been going on for years. I assumed it was normal
      • The clunking noise while driving has been intermittent for the last 3 years and I can't even get a shop to figure out what it is.
      • The tapping noise while I pull on the tire is something I diagnosed yesterday.
    • How often does it occur?:
      • 'woom woom' sound is constant at all speeds and increases/decreases with speed accordingly.
      • gas vibration is pretty constant I think
      • brake vibration is whenever I'm on the brake, doesn't matter the pressure.
      • Bang noise while driving will either happen once a day, only when pulling out of my driveway (straight, down a hill) or turning head on into/out of a parking spot. Sometimes this goes away for months.
    • What have you ALREADY replaced to try and fix it?:
      • Hubs are on order from you :)
      • One of my wheel hubs got replaced last year, probably has 20k on it. I was in a bind and had a shop do it, I'm not sure why they only did the one side.
      • Driveline was balanced by Six States Automotive (they only do drivelines) at about 25k or so
      • My lift is totally worn out. I have an all new King setup waiting in the garage.
      • Inner tie rod on driver side was replaced around January. I probably should have done the whole thing both sides 'just because', but I wasn't thinking.
      • Alignment performed last month
      • both CVs were re-booted by me last month
      • Bang noise checked out by a shop about 6 months ago. They said it was the skids shifting. I removed the skids for a bit and it still makes noise, it's just more pronounced with the skids.
    • Have you checked codes?: No codes, not relevant.

https://youtu.be/-w8xgc_dH0g

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  14. May 14, 2015 at 1:02 AM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    OK. Start of the video obviously you have diagnosed a bad wheel bearing for sure. The tugging noise around 45 seconds past the 1:00 mark COULD be a bad tie rod. Best suggestion there is the replace the incoming wheel bearings, and retest for that noise. I do notice at the 1:16 mark that the inner tie rod boot appears to have a good bit of movement. It could POSSIBLY be a bushing on the steering rack, but still I think step 1 is to install the new bearings. At the 2:45+ mark on the right side, there is definite movement in the inner tie rod area for possible rack bushings. The 3:30 mark with the rotors sounds like the brake pads are just sliding on the rotors, but this will be VERY much pronounced with a bad wheel bearing, and would likely go away after the bearings are replaced. If the noise is still present, then you can get some 100 grit sand paper and remove the brake pads, and sand the surface by placing the sand paper on a workbench, or flat surface, and put the pads onto the sand paper and work it back and forth. You need to only remove the shinny glaze off the surface of the brake pads, so it won't take a whole lot. That is what I have figured from the video so far. I hope this helps.

Chickenmunga likes this.
  15. May 14, 2015 at 9:40 AM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    Thanks Bill! I had totally forgotten about rack bushings being a thing. I'll order some up from Wheeler's today. I looked into what it takes for work, and I might have the shop tackle that part since it looks pretty involved.
    If I'm interpreting right, I am still good for the weekend, and then it's time to start hitting the wrenches as soon as parts arrive.

16. May 14, 2015 at 10:02 AM
    gupster88

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Almost Heaven, WV
    Vehicle:
    Stock
    Thanks for the input. I haven't had the issue since I sprayed some lube around the rusted parts. Next time it happens, IF it happens again I will take those steps you suggested and see what I find. I'll report it back on here as well! Thanks again :thumbsup:

By the way, looks like Danica is having a better year this season. You were right ;)

17. May 14, 2015 at 6:15 PM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Brett! Yeah, some drivers are a natural and drop right in, others take time. Look at the year Truex is having, and how long he has been driving. She's moving a step at a time.

18. May 14, 2015 at 6:33 PM
    high n mighty

high n mighty Well versed in sarcasm

Member:
    Pickering Ontario
    Vehicle:
    01 DC
    Yer gonna be busy Bama

19. May 14, 2015 at 8:26 PM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    Hahaha. Hope so!

20. May 18, 2015 at 8:06 AM
    gupster88

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Almost Heaven, WV
    Vehicle:
    Stock
    I was at the all star race and let me tell you she KILLED it during qualifying. She had that car on a rail man. Truex, I think, had to get his mind and attitude right. There was a lot off hangover from the way he got shafted at MWR and made to be the scapegoat. I hope he has a really good season and wins a race or two.

Products Discussed in

To Top