1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

BAMF FBRB (Front bumper reinforcement brackets)2005 plus bumpers

Discussion in 'Bay Area Metal Fabrication' started by JLee, May 31, 2019.

1. Apr 8, 2021 at 12:26 PM
    Greg.Brakes.Tacos

Greg.Brakes.Tacos Don't Feed the Animals

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Between Richmond and Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2017 Taco DCSB TRD off road
    wanna be mods
    Will do, neighbor tossed the brackets into the powder coat oven late this past weekend, just waiting for him to call me over to put the wheel of death to the square one frame caps.

I know @geekhouse23 did this and posted them on the square one design frame cap thread...but here's what I "stole" for "learning curve"
    Screenshot_20210316-120029_DuckDuckGo.jpg Screenshot_20210316-115407_DuckDuckGo.jpg Screenshot_20210316-115447_DuckDuckGo.jpg

TacoEspecial and geekhouse23 like this.
  2. Apr 8, 2021 at 12:27 PM
    Greg.Brakes.Tacos

Greg.Brakes.Tacos Don't Feed the Animals

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Between Richmond and Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2017 Taco DCSB TRD off road
    wanna be mods
    Ditto

Grossomotto[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Apr 9, 2021 at 8:14 AM
    Xtm3330

Xtm3330 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD sport. DCLB
    Toytec boss 3"
    Can confirm these will fit the coastal offroad bumper with a little trimming and drilling one hole.

4. Jun 23, 2021 at 6:24 AM
    willtill

willtill Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement Off Road V6 Access cab
    I went ahead and ordered these for my Hiline bumper. I have a question though, there appears to be not enough thread on the Tacoma's front bumper flanges mounting bolts to include the FBRB. For some reason, my mounting bolts appear less in length than other Tacoma's I have been viewing. My Body Armor bumper mounting brackets against the frame mounting flanges appear to be .280 in thickness, over .250 from what I have read that would be the maximum thickness allowed. Did you drill out your OEM flange bolts and replace them with longer lengths?

Here is a pic of the two mounting studs with the Body Armor Hiline bumper attached. There is minimal thread left for the new FBRB bracket. I REALLY want this bracket to work.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
  5. Jun 23, 2021 at 8:47 PM
    IdeaMan

IdeaMan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Fresno, CA
    Vehicle:
    Barcelona Red 2018 Toyota Tacoma SR DCSB 4x4
    Eibach Pro Truck Lift, Icon RXT Leaf Springs, LT255/80R17 Toyo ATIII, Body Armor Hiline Bumper w/OZ LED Light bar and Smittybuilt X20 Synthetic Winch, TRD Pro Skid plate, Shrockworks Sliders/steps, bed mat, some interior storage accessories, cell phone mount, and blacked out emblems.
    I don’t think it looks that bad. Especially if it’s not completely tightened.

6. Jun 24, 2021 at 2:53 AM
    willtill

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    The nuts are completely tightened though. I'm of the inclination to cut the two outer ones off and drill out the remains of it, and then use a longer grade 8 bolt and washer so I can use Bay Area Metal Fab's FBRB (Tacoma Front bumper reinforcement brackets). I really would like to install those brackets.

Has anyone crossed the Rubicon and cut/replaced those two outer OEM frame horn bolts with something longer?

7. Jun 24, 2021 at 6:17 AM
    IdeaMan

IdeaMan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Fresno, CA
    Vehicle:
    Barcelona Red 2018 Toyota Tacoma SR DCSB 4x4
    Eibach Pro Truck Lift, Icon RXT Leaf Springs, LT255/80R17 Toyo ATIII, Body Armor Hiline Bumper w/OZ LED Light bar and Smittybuilt X20 Synthetic Winch, TRD Pro Skid plate, Shrockworks Sliders/steps, bed mat, some interior storage accessories, cell phone mount, and blacked out emblems.
    I didn’t realize the BAMF piece wasn’t on in your pic. I just took a picture of mine mounted. I never realized the thread situation.39020EA8-69CC-4631-A1C4-38954F1B119B.jpg

8. Jun 24, 2021 at 9:01 AM
    TacoEspecial

TacoEspecial SSSlow

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    13 Sliver TRD AC
    BAMF RCLT Deaver Fox 2.5 StopTech Dana 60 37s 475:1
    That doesn't look good.
    Don't think that's a good @IdeaMan :rofl:
    :anonymous:

sawbladeduller likes this.
  9. Jun 24, 2021 at 4:28 PM
    willtill

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    I agree. Those nuts are not capturing enough threads on the bolts.

10. Jun 24, 2021 at 4:35 PM
    gixxerphil

gixxerphil @concretelander

Member:
    First Name:
    Phillip
    Auburn, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB
    I am too impatient to read all 15 pages(I read the first post):rofl: Does anyone know if these will fit an ARB for a 12-15 Tacoma?

I'll read the pages later

GilbertOz likes this.
  11. Jun 25, 2021 at 5:13 AM
    willtill

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    You know...

I think that if one was to simply widen the front facing slots on Bay Area's Metal Fab BRFB; so that the two front frame horn nuts would still fasten directly on the Hiline mounting plate, the intent of the reinforcement bracket would still work. This way there is still adequate thread being used, and the gusseted design of the BRFB would still be effective as intended, regarding the prevention of the frame horn being bent during hard pulls.

What do you all say to this theory?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
  12. Jun 27, 2021 at 6:17 AM
    willtill

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    I think I am going to remove the two outer OEM bolts from each side. They appear to be M10x1.25 and I'll replace them with a longer grade 8 bolt (and possibly new nuts, with washers).

Looks to be fairly simple to remove, the mounting bolts are just spot welded in one place one the back of the mounting plate. Should be no issue to get a Dremel with a cutting wheel in there to slice the spot weld.

[​IMG]

So it looks like I'll be able to still use the BRFB after all. Once I source the bolts, will be ordering the brackets (again).

This is the FOURTH time I have removed this BA Hiline bumper from my truck. Yesterday I removed it to uninstall the 22" LED light bar; I did not like the idea of not being able to see what the spool was doing on my winch. So now I have got to figure out where to remount the LED light. The only effective spot would be immediately under the hoop and using L brackets. I was going to try to install it behind the plastic grid under the hoop area but too much light would be blocked by the hoop.

[​IMG]

Mounting it immediately forward and under the hoop makes it a little easier for someone to steal though. Not a huge problem in my 'hood but maybe elsewhere as I'm about and out.

13. Jul 2, 2021 at 6:26 AM
    willtill

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:

I've changed my mind.

I think it would be better to modify the back of the BRFB, so that I can access the two bolts I am going to be installing in the outer frame horn area(s). I'm going to have two holes drilled in the back portion of the BRFB (see below pic - proposed holes are annotated with bronze circles). Holes will be just wide enough to insert a socket into them. My concern is that I will not be able to tighten the bolts properly once the BRFB is mounted over them. And I'm not going to have the new bolt heads spot welded onto the frame horns, like the OEM ones are.

Can anyone tell me how much space is there, between the back of the frame horn and the portion of the BRFB bracket that faces it?

[​IMG]

14. Jul 2, 2021 at 7:11 AM
    willtill

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    I can see the available space now in the above pic, should've went upthread for more info.

Maybe I just need different fastening nuts instead, so I can capture what leftover thread is available on those OEM bolts. Just don't understand why some of us have such minimal thread available on our Tacoma's.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2021
  15. Jul 13, 2021 at 8:09 AM
    TomHGZ

TomHGZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Frankensport 4x4 AC AT
    Partial list: Vagabond Drifter OR rear axle 4.10 gears Bilstein 6112s and B110s. Dakars with OL leafs replaced by Deaver 3-leaf AALs 265/75/16 Ultraterrains eBay front bumper (I hit a deer and needed a fast cheap replacement) 3rd Gen TRD Pro clone skid
    What is the height of the bracket from the center of the top front bolt to the top of the bracket?

How much vertical square tube extends above the top horizontal fin?

16. Jul 17, 2021 at 2:30 PM
    willtill

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    So I am working on modifying the BRFB's that I recently received from Bay Area Metal Fabrication. The Hot rolled pickled steel seems easy enough to drill through, though it's eating up the 13/16's Chinese drill bit I ordered from Amazon. And the resultant 13/16's holes are still not big enough to accept a 9/16's socket, which is why I am drilling these each out with two holes. I have ordered another cheap Chinese 7/8's drill bit from Amazon; hopefully it'll be here tomorrow.

These are HSS steel drill bits, maybe some oil will help when drilling? I'm trying to drill at a low speed, have been drilling pilot holes and gradually using larger bits until I get to the 13/16's drill bit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I do not have a drill press. It is interesting to drill such large holes with only a hand drill.

17. Jul 18, 2021 at 8:36 AM
    willtill

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    Finally got both brackets drilled out. Getting ready to paint and the apply a little RP-342 to them. The holes will now accept a 9/16's deep socket with some wiggle room.

[​IMG]

And now I cross the Rubicon. I will be cutting/removing the two outer frame horn bolts on each side of the frame horns, to be replaced with 3/8's bolts...

Last edited: Jul 18, 2021
    Grossomotto likes this.
  18. Jul 18, 2021 at 5:27 PM
    willtill

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    I tried to start cutting the weld on the first of the four frame horn bolts. It proved to be a little more difficult than I thought. Hard to get to and did not want to start taking material off of the back of the frame horn accidently.

I opted instead to cutoff each one and then drill it out. It was a bitch to get them drilled out with Harbor Freights drill bits. Need to go buy a replacement set of them tomorrow.

The first of the four drilled out and replaced:

[​IMG]

TacoPandaTRD likes this.
  19. Jul 18, 2021 at 5:43 PM
    RCRcer

RCRcer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 OR DC
    Do yourself a favor and just go buy some quality drill bits to get the job done. You’ll save some time, energy and will never buy a cheap bit again.

looking forward on seeing your completed project.

20. Jul 19, 2021 at 7:20 PM
    willtill

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    So I got all four frame horn bolts replaced yesterday. I was going to mount the FBRB's, but am a little mystified at how they are fitting.

When I place either bracket against the side of the frame, they are not sitting vertically flush against the frame; meaning that I can slightly push in either the top or bottom of the bracket. It's like something under the middle of the brackets is keeping the brackets from sitting against the frame. I don't think it's the edge of the frame horns or the edge of the winch plate that bolts up against the frame horns. Can it be the outer raised horizontal weld bead that connects the two frame members?

For those of you that have mounted these brackets, did or do you have the same issue? I can't get the the very bottom rear bolt in when the side of the bracket is pushed in at the top. If I push in the bottom of the bracket, the very bottom bolt hole looks to line up.

Should I install the bottom rear bolt in first, and then install and tighten the two side bolts to pull the bracket against the frame?

Or would install and tightening the two side bolts first possibly bring the bottom rear bolt hole into alignment?

What is better? How is this actually done to make all of the bolt holes line up?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2021

Products Discussed in

To Top