1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

BAMF FBRB (Front bumper reinforcement brackets)2005 plus bumpers

Discussion in 'Bay Area Metal Fabrication' started by JLee, May 31, 2019.

1. Jul 14, 2022 at 12:04 PM
    aturk

aturk Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Charlotte, NC
    Thanks - I had saw that post but couldn't/can't really visualize why he had to grind the lower part of the bracket off. Other than maybe it wouldn't clear the bottom bend of the bumper. Or maybe it was to get more threads engaged on the factory frame studs which I'll be removing.

If that is all that is necesssary - that should take all of 10 minutes to grind down and shouldn't have much effect on overall strength.

Got mine raw so I can hack and chop at them as needed.

2. Jul 16, 2022 at 4:48 PM
    patdeezy

patdeezy Well-Known Member

Member:
    souLcaL
    Vehicle:
    '19 OR 4x4 SuperWhite DCSB
    Please do post pix if you can!

3. Aug 25, 2022 at 5:56 PM
    TacoMoose

TacoMoose Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma OR
    I have a SOS aluminum bumper, just purchased the bracket. Will give you guys an update on how it goes with the install and if i rip the bumper off with the winch

4. Aug 26, 2022 at 7:15 AM
    aturk

aturk Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Charlotte, NC
    I finally had time to mod these brackets to work with my SSO bumper. Got em primed and painted yesterday. I'll get pics and install wrapped up this weekend. Basically just had to drill holes in the backside to give me access to the bumper studs (I'll be removing the factory ones in place of longer ones). Step bit worked for this, but if you don't get your pilot hole perfectly centered you'll need to use a carbide burr to open the hole up and make it centered, then use the step bit to continue to make the hole larger.

The lower part of the BAMF bracket needs trimmed just a little bit as well. If you are using the long bottom bolt that goes from the rear of bracket out towards the front of the truck, you'll need to cut a hole in your bumper. I plan to eventually install this bolt and drill my bumper, but I'm just going to run it with the two side bolts through the frame. It's going to be a lot easier to drill the front bumper on a lift. Demello Fab runs their bumper to frame brackets with just the two side bolts so I feel fine running it this way. I don't really envision ever needing the extra support these BAMF brackets provide, but I like to be prepared.

patdeezy[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Sep 30, 2022 at 1:32 AM
    Mudman

Mudman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cerritos
    Vehicle:
    08 4X4 TRD Sport
    Has anyone used these in conjunction with hidden front hitch receivers? This seems like a good combo for someone not looking to permanently mount a winch, while adding the needed support. Plate bumper will be out of the budget for quite a while. ARB recovery point was my next thought, but I liked the idea of having a receiver more not only for the winch but being able to use the usual hitch style recovery deal. Plus pulling from the center.

6. Nov 2, 2022 at 7:59 PM
    agent4573

agent4573 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Xtra cab, TRD O/R
    None yet
    Trying to install these and hitting an issue. The front side of the body mount horn interferes hard with the inside of the bracket. Are you guys just removing part of the factory cab mount in order to get these to fit? You can see where the cab mount is bent over in one pic, and where it digs into the bracket.

Edit: for those that like numbers, the clearance for cab mount designed into the reinforcement bracket is 1 and 5/8th inch. The cab mount is just over 1 and 3/4" tall. So there's 1/8 to 3/16" of interference in this area. Is everyone just stacking washers here?

PXL_20221103_025547518.jpg
    PXL_20221103_025556446.jpg
    PXL_20221103_025605021.jpg

Last edited: Nov 2, 2022
  7. Nov 3, 2022 at 9:33 AM
    JLee

JLee [OP] The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Extra cab SAS Linked front and rear
    I lost track thousands of dollars ago.
    The winch plate you have is too thick. you will not be able to use the brackets without modification.

8. Nov 3, 2022 at 9:40 AM
    agent4573

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Xtra cab, TRD O/R
    None yet
    While I agree, that doesn't really answer the question. Even if I remove the winch plate entirely, the cab mount horn will interfere with the reinforcement bracket before it sits flush with the side of the frame. Moving the bracket rearward doesn't alleviate the left/right interference caused by the bracket not being tall enough to fit around the cab mount.

Also, please add the SSO slimline to the list of bumpers that this doesn't fit without major modification.

9. Nov 3, 2022 at 9:47 AM
    JLee

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    Its the thickness of the winch plate causing that if you shave the face of that plate to .250" everything will clear as intended.

10. Nov 3, 2022 at 3:55 PM
    agent4573

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Xtra cab, TRD O/R
    None yet
    Took the bumper off, bracket still doesn't fit. You can see from the front picture that the bracket is sitting at a slight angle with the top being held out by the cab mount on the inside of the c channel. The second pic shows the gap between the bracket and frame rail side. When measured from the face of the reinforcement bracket through the slot to the frame, the distance is .48". Your bracket is ~.21" thick with the coating, meaning there's a gap between the bracket and frame of about 0.27". The holes lines up enough now that I could get the bolts through and crank on them to suck up the gap, but it's just going to bend the cab mount in order to close that gap. There isn't enough height in the C channel to clear the cab mount and allow the bracket to sit flush with the frame.

PXL_20221103_224723294.jpg
    PXL_20221103_224828850.jpg

11. Nov 3, 2022 at 4:14 PM
    JLee

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    Then you have an anomaly in your frame You can email more pictures if you like. But the brackets do clear that mount on all other trucks they have been installed on they are all made the same these brackets can't be made out of spec they won't fit in the jig we use and the gussets would be way of our place so something is going on out of the norm.

12. Feb 15, 2023 at 9:55 PM
    machineman89

machineman89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    San Leandro
    Vehicle:
    overlanding limo in progress :-P
    Weather tech floor mats, fog light any time mod, derped front embelem, Pelfretbilt 3 hoop plate bumper, 10k warn xeon winch-s some leds, pelfreybilt roof rack, scs stealth series rims, wrangler authority tires, BAMF 96" bolt on sliders, BAMF dif skid, some dirt....
    @JLee can u weld and reinforce the ears on the inside or is the hardware too thin as well along with the thinsteel the hardware is part of??? I have some 1/4 plate laying around n a glue gun

13. Mar 19, 2023 at 7:50 AM
    toytaco112

toytaco112 Sup

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Cedar Park, TX, US
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma DBLCB 4x4 short bed
    King 2.5 Extended travel coilovers, JBA UCA's Deaver stage 2 leaf pack, All pro Aluminum replacement front with 9500lb smittybilt winch, cheap ebay rear replacement, 285.75x16 BFG All- terrains on Method NV wheels, Air ride bags light bars, rock lights bumber light bar And the list goes on..
    Can anyone confirm that these will work with the All pro apex aluminum winch bumper I know the first post says to throw it in the trash…. But not going to do that just want to know if they will work or not?

14. Mar 22, 2023 at 5:05 AM
    RockfishTaco

RockfishTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Massachusetts
    Not sure what you did here but I ran into the same thing this weekend when I went to install a BAMF bumper and these bracket. I ended up just grinding down the part of the frame that was interfering which wasn't much and the mount now lines up... I know this is a 5 month later response but figured I'd let you know you aren't the only one to run into this.

15. Jan 4, 2024 at 9:44 AM
    Banjozarks

Banjozarks New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    3rd Gen Tacoma
    RSI SmartCap
    Do you recommend installing these on a DV8 Front Stubby bumper if a winch is installed? Thank you

16. Jan 4, 2024 at 10:16 AM
    JLee

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    Id recommend replacing that bumper if you plan on winching. Our brackets will help save the frame horns but that bumper will twist/pull apart if actually used on a hard winch pull.

17. Jan 4, 2024 at 10:35 AM
    Banjozarks

Banjozarks New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    3rd Gen Tacoma
    RSI SmartCap
    Do you think it would withstand minor winching like 500lbs or less? I researched this bumper a lot before I bought it but after reading this thread I feel dumb for ever getting it.

Products Discussed in

To Top