1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

[deleted]

Discussion in 'Travel' started by kasnerd, Aug 18, 2014.

1. Aug 19, 2014 at 1:28 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    And as all others say, "that's a great picture. You must have a nice camera." :cheers:

Not to derail the great pictures, but what kind of post processing are you applying to these? You have a great eye, the pictures really are stunning. I only have one prime and it was a cheap gamble (Canon 50 f/1.8) and I'm not terribly into it for portraits so far, maybe I got a "bad" one of the $100 lens. :)

So far I've gotten better grabs with the kit lens, though if I had a clue on PP of any kind maybe I could smear a little lipstick on them, unfortunately I have no such talent nor programs.

2. Aug 19, 2014 at 1:40 PM
    TheGreatPear

TheGreatPear Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Gunsan, South Korea
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD OR 4x4 V6 6 Speed
    Unreal pictures sir :thumbsup:

3. Aug 19, 2014 at 2:27 PM
    kasnerd

kasnerd [OP] candied bacon

Member:
    SoCal Yokel
    Vehicle:
    '14 SC LT Mall Runner
    Mods? Yes, oh yes..
    Well, most lenses are sharper at certain apertures than others. In particular the less expensive primes are fairly sharp wide open (f/1.8) and the more expensive 1.4 equivalent focal length lens will be sharper, but with the less expensive lens will be almost as sharp or as sharp 2 steps down (f/2.8). So depending on what apertures you are shooting with will have a influence on sharpness.

Importantly, depth of field is the biggest factor for keeping things in the plane of focus. So some of those shots are done at f/22 focused on the foreground. My pics look good in smaller sizes, but at full size the limits of the lens/sensor and my skills are more apparent.

The big thing is solid support. Tripods are a must. So with the d80, its not very fast (low sensitive w/o noise at higher iso), and I have learned the limits of what my gear can do. This isn't intuitive and takes lots of practice, cursing, long hours and patience in spades.

As for your issue, simple things first. Have you checked the diopter? The obvious thing, clean your gear well, sensor, viewfinder. Also, setup a shot and then w/o changing the composition, take a picture for each f-stop and in auto focus/manual at the same spot, taking care to adjust iso/shutter to get a proper exposure, then compare the results on your monitor. If they are soft (out of focus) throughout, then something is wrong, if they are sharp in auto focus but not in manual, its you and/or the diopter setting.

Processing is in Adobe Lightroom, stitching in Adobe Photoshop.

4. Aug 19, 2014 at 2:38 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have a T3i that auto cleans the sensor upon power off, though I haven't looked into this feature. Low light is abysmal as it gets but hey, it's a Rebel. My next camera will be a better performer in higher ISOs, maybe a 7D or maybe I'll go to full frame depending on what I'll pay to play in that ballpark, I'm not a serious shooter by any stretch, but 9/10 times I want a picture it's always at a time my camera doesn't perform well. I'll likely pick up a book specific to it and learn more about it's capability but so far I love it, just not for the noise it produces at really relatively low ISO. I don't have a tripod yet, mainly due to expense. A Gitzo is out of my budget! I'm pretty anal about keeping dust out of the body and keep my lens changes to a minimum and do them quickly, lens caps and dust covers go on even quicker.

One day I'll setup a fixed scene with my 50 f1/.8 and either a tripod or other fixed support and fool around with f stops. Wide open the DOF is super shallow and not very crisp at focal point but it's been a while, I think it did better stepped down but it was a while back.

I have the book Understanding Exposure which I bought to kick me out of green box mode, but my shooting has been lacking for quite a while and I need to figure my camera out some more.

5. Aug 19, 2014 at 3:09 PM
    kasnerd

Member:
    SoCal Yokel
    Vehicle:
    '14 SC LT Mall Runner
    Mods? Yes, oh yes..
    This won't clear off everything, its just helps keep it cleaner...it still gets dirty. Think oils, high ionic compounds that sick like glue. No amount of "self-cleaning" will get that off.

I wasted half of what a gitzo and ballhead cost (craigslist miracle buy) on a mediocre tripod/accessories that did nothing besides give me grief. If you are going to buy something, like tools...buy the best once instead of 2-3 lower quality "upgrades" before. You will save money in the end, have better gear that will work for you instead of against you.

GREAT book...read it, digest...GREAT primer on the triangle. Also, check out "The Photographer's Eye" and Galen Rowel's "Inner game of Outdoor Photography". And most of all...go shoot, A LOT...then go shoot more. Photography is not easy...and for those who say it is, they are full of crap and/or are not well versed, without being tested.

Look at stuff online, try and replicate it or put your own spin on the picture. LEARN PP, great photographs do not come out of a camera, they come out of a darkroom. It is all about translating what is there to what you see in your mind and then making a photograph to communicate that image. Its like taking a sketch of a something, then going back to the studio to actually paint it.

Do yourself a favor. There is a lot of Canon vs Nikon debate and vitriol, go use both before you commit. They are good for very different reasons. I am Nikon guy. Dad had F series 35mm film stuff, aerial photography and just feels natural and part of me as its what I grew up on.

My next purchase will be D810, good primes (24,35,50) and the 70-200 and Really Right Stuff ball head, after I win the lottery or someone buys my work (which is a hobby, I don't do it for money) or a rich patron decides me worthy. The best zoom lens is your feet, unless you need to do some trickery with compression, and that is less common than just moving your arse closer. :)

6. Aug 19, 2014 at 3:11 PM
    kasnerd

Member:
    SoCal Yokel
    Vehicle:
    '14 SC LT Mall Runner
    Mods? Yes, oh yes..
    Thank you sir, glad you enjoy them.

7. Sep 24, 2014 at 7:39 PM
    Burnett

Burnett Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nolan
    North Georgia
    Vehicle:
    98' Xtra cab v6 4x4 evergreen pearl
    Bilsteins 5100's & 5125's, OME Dakar leafs Custom toolbox Custom bedstep/towhook/reverse light combo Custom Bedrack
    Nothing like a great road trip! I've done basically the exact trip a few times as far as hitting all the parks. If or when you get back out to the tetons, check out Shadow Mtn. it sits just across a meadow from the grand tetons. Good trails for the tacoma, and when you get to the top there are established camp sites that make for the best Grand Teton sunrise. Camping there has become a ritual with me and my brothers, its a home away from home. Also, if you're able continue north into Jasper someday its the most amazing place i've ever seen. Your crater lake pic is amazing man

8. Sep 27, 2014 at 3:47 AM
    Joe D

Joe D .

Member:
    Great stuff Shawn! I've done the USA side of it and now want to do the rest. Really great pics!

9. Jan 7, 2015 at 12:36 AM
    OICU812

OICU812 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cool glad to see someone enjoying my back yard. :) I'm less then half hour from Rockies here in Alberta and have a view out my window.

Did you drive to Jasper or Miette hot springs when near Banff? Jasper and the more northern Rockies get even bigger and more wow factor. Too bad I had not been on this forum months ago would've treated you to a premium Alberta cut AAA steak. :D

10. Jan 7, 2015 at 7:56 AM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    Cannot wait to read this all later

To Top