1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

BassAckwards' AWD Turbo 2TR-FE

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by BassAckwards, May 19, 2017.

1. Oct 19, 2017 at 6:14 AM
    gunny1005

gunny1005 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix
    Wow, you got that in quick. looks really good..

2. Oct 19, 2017 at 6:26 AM
    BassAckwards

BassAckwards [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    AWD Turbo 2TR-FE
    Thanks! Yeah i actually had it all back together yesterday and was able to drive the truck to work. It just got too dark to take pictures with the interior in the night before. Id say since i already had the interior stripped out it only took me 1.5-2hrs to get the flooring and everything back in and buttoned up, and thats including the much needed beer breaks:cheers:

ChadsPride likes this.
  3. Oct 29, 2017 at 7:42 PM
    Taco Tacoma

Taco Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Napa CA
    Vehicle:
    '21 Cement SR5 4x4 DCLB
    '21 Nothing so far, I just bought the friggin thing!! '09 Silver SR5 Prerunner DCSB (sold) Dick Cepek rims, 33” Cooper AT 3’s, 24 in light bar, custom-made hitch step, sport headlights (on SR5 taco), Gator tonneau cover (looking for Best Top soft camper shell), real tree seat covers, weather tech floor liners, 6’ bed mat cut to 5’ (because the 6’ ones were the only ones available, alpine touch screen head unit, alpine 1100w amp powering 2 10” subs, upgraded door speakers (forgotten the brand), Magnaflow exhaust
    Sweet! Looking awesome!

BassAckwards[OP] likes this.
  4. Oct 29, 2017 at 7:53 PM
    BassAckwards

Member:
    Vehicle:
    AWD Turbo 2TR-FE
    Thanks man! I appreciate it!:hattip:

Taco Tacoma[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Oct 29, 2017 at 7:55 PM
    Taco Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Napa CA
    Vehicle:
    '21 Cement SR5 4x4 DCLB
    '21 Nothing so far, I just bought the friggin thing!! '09 Silver SR5 Prerunner DCSB (sold) Dick Cepek rims, 33” Cooper AT 3’s, 24 in light bar, custom-made hitch step, sport headlights (on SR5 taco), Gator tonneau cover (looking for Best Top soft camper shell), real tree seat covers, weather tech floor liners, 6’ bed mat cut to 5’ (because the 6’ ones were the only ones available, alpine touch screen head unit, alpine 1100w amp powering 2 10” subs, upgraded door speakers (forgotten the brand), Magnaflow exhaust
    Have you been putting any thought in to an engine sawp or just ganna stick with the 4 banger?

6. Oct 29, 2017 at 8:03 PM
    BassAckwards

Member:
    Vehicle:
    AWD Turbo 2TR-FE
    Ive thought about it.. but im probably just going to use the 4cyl and maybe do a regear until it explodes or has major problems.. I have been considering buying a v6 6spd 4x4 access cab as a donor truck and just swapping my cab and everything over to it as opposed to swapping out just the motor. That way i could get an engine swap and 4x4 conversion all done at once. I feel like thats a ways down the road though.. these 4 bangers just keep on crawling along.. havent heard of many having problems:turtleride:

7. Oct 29, 2017 at 8:12 PM
    Taco Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Napa CA
    Vehicle:
    '21 Cement SR5 4x4 DCLB
    Yeah my history teacher has an 05 4cyl 5 speed that her has over 400k on, all he did was just change the oil every 5k and fix the stupid little shit that breaks. I have the same goal as you with the 4x4 thing, since I have a v6 auto 2wd DCSB SR5 and would really love to have a 6 speed and 4x4.

8. Oct 29, 2017 at 8:24 PM
    BassAckwards

Member:
    Vehicle:
    AWD Turbo 2TR-FE
    Yeah i have a feeling mine will last a while.. ive also been contemplating just doing a 4wd conversion and figuring out how to do a turbo setup or URD supercharger but not sure if that would be worth it with such high mileage (im almost at 225k). I dont expect this truck to ever be quick with all the weight ive added to it but i would definitely love to have a little more power

Hofmann’s Tacos likes this.
  9. Oct 29, 2017 at 8:30 PM
    Taco Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Napa CA
    Vehicle:
    '21 Cement SR5 4x4 DCLB
    Yeah even with the v6 it can still be a bit under powered when you add a bunch of weight witch is why I want to supercharge my truck but I don’t know if it’s worth it since I’m at 120k and it’s just my commuter and weekend light trail runner.

10. Oct 29, 2017 at 8:34 PM
    Taco Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Napa CA
    Vehicle:
    '21 Cement SR5 4x4 DCLB
    I’ve also been kicking around the idea of buying an 05-11 with a blown engin and swaping a v8 from a tundra into it. If it will fit at least.

11. Oct 29, 2017 at 8:43 PM
    BassAckwards

Member:
    Vehicle:
    AWD Turbo 2TR-FE
    I would do it, but im biased since i have a lead foot lol:burnrubber:

From everything ive read the v6 s/c'd sounds like a great option to get some v8 power without a full engine swap. If you end up going this route i would go with the TRD reflash vs the bullydog tune. I dont have personal experience with this per se, but ive done a lot of reading as ive been wanting to supercharge my 6 speed lately and it would be the way that id go!

12. Oct 29, 2017 at 8:45 PM
    BassAckwards

Member:
    Vehicle:
    AWD Turbo 2TR-FE
    Maybe a 4.7 v8 would be a good option out of an 03-09 4runner? Seems like a very similar engine bay size and you might be able to use the mounts and other bits to limit the amount of fab work necessary, that is if youre looking to swap one in

13. Oct 29, 2017 at 8:45 PM
    Taco Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Napa CA
    Vehicle:
    '21 Cement SR5 4x4 DCLB
    The only thing is I don’t know if the stock trans could handle the added power very well since I have the 5 speed auto

14. Oct 29, 2017 at 8:47 PM
    Taco Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Napa CA
    Vehicle:
    '21 Cement SR5 4x4 DCLB
    I was also looking at my frends chevy 350 (5.7 L) and it looks small enough to fit but I don’t think the transmission would

15. Oct 29, 2017 at 8:55 PM
    BassAckwards

Member:
    Vehicle:
    AWD Turbo 2TR-FE
    Actually from everything ive read, the 5spd autos hold up much better than the 6spd manuals since the autos have been paired with some of toyotas v8s in the past(so theyre really overbuilt for the 1GR), so you should be good there. With the 6spd's its almost always necessary to upgrade the clutch pressure plate or you start having problems with it slipping rather quickly.

16. Oct 29, 2017 at 9:00 PM
    Taco Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Napa CA
    Vehicle:
    '21 Cement SR5 4x4 DCLB
    Oh it didn’t realize that, I always knew that Toyota was famous for having overbuilt transmissions but didn’t realize that they used the 5 speed auto with some v8. I think that in a few years when I have more money and the 16-17 trucks are being sold used I’ll buy one and really build out my second gen

17. Oct 29, 2017 at 9:12 PM
    BassAckwards

Member:
    Vehicle:
    AWD Turbo 2TR-FE
    Sounds like a good plan to me! Id love to see someone swap a 3rd gen bed onto a 2nd gen. Thats the main thing i like more on the newer trucks, but ive also heard the interiors are nicer

18. Oct 29, 2017 at 9:19 PM
    Taco Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Napa CA
    Vehicle:
    '21 Cement SR5 4x4 DCLB
    Yeah, I’ve test driven my frends 16 and the big differences are the interior and the engine. From what I could tell the bed was almost identical on the inside but ofcorse the sheet metal is different but that’s just because the body style is different. When I drove it I did feel a slight increase in power but not much difference.

19. Oct 29, 2017 at 9:25 PM
    BassAckwards

Member:
    Vehicle:
    AWD Turbo 2TR-FE
    Did they have the auto or the manual? Id love to test drive one to see the differences in the power bands. I really am a fan of the low end torque of the 4.0 offers so itd be interesting to me to see how the 3.5 feels

20. Oct 29, 2017 at 9:29 PM
    Taco Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Napa CA
    Vehicle:
    '21 Cement SR5 4x4 DCLB
    It was an auto and it felt to my high trained ass that the two trucks are pretty evenly match, actually when we did a bootleg drag race I got off the line faster than the new truck but once the 16 climbed higher in the RPM’s he stared to gain on me. I think that if it was a manual he could have smoked me off the line but I don’t know:notsure:

Products Discussed in

To Top