1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Batteries

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by NumNutz, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Feb 3, 2010 at 11:28 AM
    rscecil007

rscecil007 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 TRD Sport Access Cab
    Goodyear Duratracs 265/70R17's, Bed mat & extra d-rings, Weathertech floor liners, Husky Liner for rear seat area, Biceman Illuminated 4x4 Switch, Pioneer 800 PRS, Hybrid Audio L6 and L1V2, JL 13TW5 in a Mr. Marv box, JL HD900/5
    I got a Sears Diehard Platinum, which is the EXACT same thing as an Oddyssy. I called the company that makes Odyssey's to confirm and asked what the difference was, and the lady I spoke to said the color of the cases/shells. :D

I think mine is a D34 DT, and you'll need the plastic spacer they come with to make it the same height. Easy to do, only things I had to do to make it work was use a longer lead coming off the positive to the fuse box. I also threw a piece of rubber bicycle innertube in b/w the battery tray and battery to limit the slipping I noticed. Battery hold down works fine too, I just threw a few washers on the front rod to be sure I wouldn't run out of threads.

battery 1.jpg

2. Feb 17, 2010 at 12:52 PM
    Agent475

Agent475 "Mark It Zero"

Member:
    Waldorf, MD
    Vehicle:
    2006 Red TRD Sport
    Hood Struts, 3" Tuff Country Lift, Shortie Antenna, WeatherTechs, Tinted front windows, custom TRD seat covers, custom pedals, debadged, custom USMC badging, quasi-functional hoodscoop (i.e. I cut it open), black front Yota emblem, Tailgate Theft-Prevention mod, Horn Relocation mod, Old Man Emu Carrier Bearing Drop, Brighter Backup Lights Mod, Smittybilt Reciever Hitch Tow Point, currently working on Satoshi Grill Mod
    So - speaking of batteries... Truck almost didn't start yesterday... Sat all day in the cold and when I went to crank it up, it didn't take on the first try. Second try it did. Now, I still have my original battery in the truck. Bought it in June 2005 (2006 model year) and I've got 98, 874 miles on it... So, I cannot complain about the battery life of the Toyota battery.

I do like the Optimas and the Odysseys... BUT, I don't think I want to more than 200 bones on a battery.

Going to look around tonight and see what I can see...

3. Feb 17, 2010 at 2:54 PM
    Rhino8541

Rhino8541 I like ze best!

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 QS DCSB OR
    I think I'm going to do this. My battery isn't showing signs of wearing down, but I might pick one up when I get the chance to avoid any issues. Might try to keep my stocker too In Case of Emergency, not sure. Edit: several negative reviews have me worried. Back to square one!

4. Feb 17, 2010 at 3:23 PM
    Taco4x4NC

Taco4x4NC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Western North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 DC/LB "Pytrite Mica/Katzkin leather
    3m clear bra or Venture, stant locking gas cap, Shield, front windows tinted, weathertechs, ARE "Z" topper. Sockmonkey decal, Billy 5100's x 4 corners, Eibach coils, Toytec 1.5 AAL. Michelin 265/75/16 MS2's, Grillcraft MX series/TOYOTA badging. FJ/SE TRD Anthracite gray wheels. Katzkin leather/heated seats.
    Most batteries last about 3 years. If you get anymore life your riding on borrowed time. I replace three year old batteries. When it goes, your stuck when a cell goes bad you get very little warning and its usually at the worst possible time. I vote replace.

quote=NumNutz;1126325]How long should they last? When should I replace one?

My truck is a 07 with 34K. Coming into winter and wondering if I should go replace it?

Edit: Original battery in truck now.[/quote]

5. Feb 17, 2010 at 3:51 PM
    Rhino8541

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 QS DCSB OR
    Edit again! Thinking about the P-1 Diehard. They really do seem to be very similar as the odysseys. I called odyssey, and they told me I needed the PC1500RT. I'm just trying to figure out if the diehards come in reverse terminal. Otherwise, how Do I go about lengthening the battery cables?

6. Feb 17, 2010 at 6:34 PM
    rscecil007

rscecil007 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 TRD Sport Access Cab
    Goodyear Duratracs 265/70R17's, Bed mat & extra d-rings, Weathertech floor liners, Husky Liner for rear seat area, Biceman Illuminated 4x4 Switch, Pioneer 800 PRS, Hybrid Audio L6 and L1V2, JL 13TW5 in a Mr. Marv box, JL HD900/5
    It's been awhile since I did mine, so I can't remember exactly, but I think there is a reversal terminal Die Hard Platinum, but it's not the dual terminal version.

The only cable I had to lengthen was the positive lead off the fuse box. The biggest pain in the ass with that was actually getting the fuse box inner "top" off. There are 6 clips you have to undo, but you almost have to keep them all pried open to pull it up. Once you get that done, the rest is easy. The wire you have to extend is easily accessible once that inner top is off. I replaced mine with some spare 4g wire I had.

There were a couple of threads I found helpful, I'll see if I can dig them up for you today or tomorrow, if they are bookmarked at work.

7. Feb 17, 2010 at 7:13 PM
    Rhino8541

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 QS DCSB OR

If you could find those links, and maybe the model number of the reverse terminal diehard, that would be awesome! I don't need dual terminals, just wanted them if I could. Thanks!

8. Feb 17, 2010 at 7:47 PM
    Viet2100

Viet2100 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Viet
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius 4T
    Mine had to be replaced 2.5 yrs later at 50k mi.

9. Sep 30, 2010 at 4:20 PM
    Rhino8541

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 QS DCSB OR
    Went to start the truck this morning and absolutely nothing. No signs of wearing down of the stock battery!

I used my battery pack, and got it going, and after doing some errands, went to sears and talked to the tech for a little while. I ended up going with the PM-1 Diehard Platinum Marine. It was closest in size to the stocker and had the reversed terminals I needed. It was more expensive, but it also has some extra terminals if I want to mount extra stuff. Only thing I wanted was the 4 year warranty the automotive platinums had, oh well, more battery I probably don't really need!

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02850131000P?intcmp=xsite_DieHard
    Less expensive in my store for some reason.

I ended up mounting it myself in their shop! What a heavy battery! I just want to get a better way to mount it, the stock battery was a little smaller, and the bracket is at its limit.

Off to search for a new mount!

10. Sep 30, 2010 at 6:22 PM
    supralight

supralight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Earth
    Vehicle:
    2013 4Runner limited
    ok, seems like on tacomas, with normal use, stock batteries will last for approx 3 years...

Good to know.

11. Sep 30, 2010 at 6:26 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Just a neat related anecdote:

I have a Toyota Matrix which is my DD. It has 173k and change on the clock. I just killed the battery a couple weeks ago. Calling the previous owners (my parents), I found out that that was the original battery. It lasted 7 years and WAY too many miles. Apparently my little dressed-up Corolla has a beast alternator.

12. Sep 30, 2010 at 8:09 PM
    Rhino8541

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 QS DCSB OR
    I'm just under 50K and purchased in Nov. 2006.

13. Oct 4, 2010 at 4:36 PM
    T0y0ta05

T0y0ta05 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    05 Silver Sport DC Tacoma
    Bone stock other than new floor mats.
    My truck battery just died today with 55K miles on the clock. There were no warnings either, but it was cool (50F) today and raining which may be why it went down. I tend to agree with others that premium batteries are not worth the money and Walmart brand are as good as any. It's just one of those things that will always need replacing, but I'm happy for the most part my OEM battery lasted over 5 years. The longivity of it was more than likely due to being parked in the garage which never dips below 45 even on the coldest of days. On a side note, I purchased one of those Heavy Duty Jump Start 500 AMP Everstart batteries over 5 years ago and used it to jump my truck that was sitting at my wife's parking lot. I've used it no less than a few dozen times over those 5 years between myself and family for the same reason and it's worth every penny. It's started vehicles that others were not capable of starting and still impresses me today. The ones today though have far greater options as mine just has two 12 volt plugs and a button to check the led display for charge capacity.

Update: I should mention that I eventually picked up an Energizer battery at Sams this time around. Walmart did not have one in-stock for my truck. The new battery is 3 year replacement and 8 years prorate but time will tell how well it lasts. I did notice though it was a 700 cold cranking AMPs and the OEM one was 710 CC.

14. Oct 4, 2010 at 4:49 PM
    S.B.

S.B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    15 Taco
    LT, Glass, CBI Front bumper, NWTI Rear bumper, 35s
    My battery gave no signs and one day went to start it to go on errands and nothing. It was at 9v. Got a jump start from AAA and went to sears and got the replacement battery, but I got the upgraded one for the better warranty.

Products Discussed in

To Top