1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Battery light on

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Shebisen14, Jul 21, 2022.

1. Jul 21, 2022 at 4:47 PM
    Shebisen14

Shebisen14 [OP] New Member

Member:
    I have an 08 Tacoma that I’ve owned its entire life. It’s been incredibly reliable. I’m religious about the maintenance and never skimp on parts.
    I’ve replaced the battery a number of times given the typical 5 year life and the tell tale symptom is hard starting and then no start.
    Today the battery light came on and stays on solid. I have not seen that before The battery is due to be replaced but I’m thinking the alternator is causing the light. Wondering if anyone can advise me on this before I replace the alternator. Thank you!

2. Jul 21, 2022 at 4:56 PM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    Test the alternator. It's likely the problem, but you can prove before replacing.

If there is a long term electrical shop in your area, having them rebuild yours could give you a better product at lower cost than a parts house reman

3. Jul 21, 2022 at 5:44 PM
    Waasheem

Waasheem The catholic radio bear

Member:
    First Name:
    Waasheem
    Vehicle:
    2007 xrunner
    When you say due to be replaced, I think you might be thinking car batteries expire like milk. Replacing every 5 years isn’t a bad plan. What I do is at around 4 years I begin to think it might be getting weak and do a starter voltage drop test. From there I’ll decide to be comfortable knowing it’s good, retest in a couple months, or start shopping for a new one. I’ve had them not make it 3 years, to test good up to 14 years.

Since you have a battery light, I’d check to make sure the terminals and posts are clean and acid free, then test the battery and alternator.

If you remove the terminals from the posts to clean with a battery brush, stick on some corrosion prevention felt pads. I never believed in them til I saw some at Wally World for super cheap. They worked so good I bought some for fleet maintenance, now the terminals are all always acid free.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DKUTR0?ie=UTF8

4. Jul 21, 2022 at 8:04 PM
    Dm93

Dm93 Test Don't Guess

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 DC OR 6spd 4x4
    Predator tube steps, Ranch Hand grill guard, Magnaflow CatBack exhaust, Toyota tool box & bed mat, 2LO Module by @Up2NoGood, Rearview Compass/Temp Mirror, Tune by @JustDSM.
    Battery light is controlled by the alternator, it should only illuminate when there's a problem with the alternator. The only other thing that would turn the light on is if the L wire was shorted to ground.
    It's easy to test the alternator, battery voltage should be 13.2-14.8 with the engine running and all loads (blower on high, headlights on high, etc) on. If it's not first check the ALT-S Fuse (7.5A) in the underhood fuse box, if it's good you need to check for power on the big wire at the alternator as well as pins 1 and 2 of the alternator connector with the key on, if that all checks out but it's not charging then the alternator is bad.
    08 Charging System Wiring.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top