1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

battery light

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by danteisme, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Mar 9, 2011 at 3:48 PM
    danteisme

danteisme [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Western PA
    Vehicle:
    06 DCSB Sport, 96 Integra GSR
    so i know that when a battery light comes on, it means the charging system is having some sort of problem. lately, if i let my truck sit for a day, as soon as i start it up the battery light comes on. no hesitation starting or anything, and no problems driving either. i had the battery and charging system tested 3 times at 3 different places. all 3 times, everythign checked out fine. not even close to having to say well these are a little low you may need to replace yadda yadda yadda.

so then after about 20 min or so of driving, the light goes out. this doesnt happen everyday, but it seems like it happens if i let the truck sit for a bout a day without running.

any ideas what could be tripping this light if everything is checking out ok?

2005 tacoma, 2.7, 70K miles, OE battery and alternator.

i know the battery is probably approaching the end of its life just due to age, not sure if thats contributing to the light or not.

2. Mar 11, 2011 at 3:07 PM
    danteisme

Member:
    South Western PA
    Vehicle:
    ok so i downloaded the toyota repair manual to see what it says. it states"standard voltage is 12.5 to 12.9 at 68 degrees" for a battery not running.
    mine is 12.85 and that was at 35 degrees

then for the alternator it states "run the vehcile at 2000 rpm with all of the accessories running. it says standard is13.2 to 14.8 for the voltage and 10A or less for the amperage"

well i dont have an ammeter, but my volts without a load was 14.09. i dont know how to test with a load. so is my battery light just dumb?

3. Mar 31, 2011 at 6:21 AM
    danteisme

Member:
    South Western PA
    Vehicle:
    so i had a thought. i pulled the power wire from my battery for my amp on saturday. drove the truck all week, no battery light. last night after work, i reconnected the power lead for the amp. i checked to see if the amp was lit up or anything, and it wasnt. i didnt drive anywhere for the rest of the night, so i'd say the truck sat for a good 12 hours. i hopped in this morning, as soon as i fired up the truck the battery light came back on. and once again, as soon as i drove about 8 miles the light went off. also, i'd like to add i had the stereo off the whole time.

so i'm not sure if this is possible, maybe the amp is steadily drawing from the battery overnight, and in the morning the battery is low but strong enough to crank the truck. but its so low that the alternator can't put the out put to recharge it and triggers the battery light? thats the only thing i can think of, any thoughts?

here is my stereo set up, its nothing huge. i have the stock radio, a line ouput converter that feeds signal to a kicker amp (i forget the exact model, roughly 120 watts rms), that goes to 2 6.5 speakers and a 8" subwoofer. certainly nothing that a stock alternator couldnt keep up with. i've had 800 watt rms amps hooked up to stock alternators before with no problem.

so sorry for my lonnnnng read. any help is appreciated, in the meantime i will re disconnect my power wire to my amp.

wilcam47 likes this.
  4. Mar 31, 2011 at 6:41 AM
    danteisme

Member:
    South Western PA
    Vehicle:
    does that sound feasible though? its drawing the battery low enough that the amp can't charge it fast enough therefore triggering the light? i have a feeling the amp isnt shutting off maybe due to the fact i'm using the factory radio and maybe spliced the wrong wire for the remote turn on

5. Mar 31, 2011 at 8:42 AM
    danteisme

Member:
    South Western PA
    Vehicle:
    i just went out and checked at work, as soon as i start the truck the amp turns on whether the radio is on or not. so looks like when it gets warm i'll be tearing out the radio and checking to make sure i splice it in the correct wire.

6. Apr 16, 2011 at 7:55 AM
    danteisme

Member:
    South Western PA
    Vehicle:
    jsut as an update, with my fog lights and stereo disconnected the light still comes on so that wasnt what was causing it. i'm still lost on this one...

7. Apr 16, 2011 at 8:11 AM
    lbridges

lbridges Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    Indialantic, FL
    Vehicle:
    '11 PreRunner SR5
    It seems you have eliminated the amp as a problem source, but for others with a remote turn-on issue I would recommend a product by David Navone that does remote turn on and line out conversion - the N-RHL2 for like $25.

BTW, O/T, but...Navone and Richard Clark made quite a name for themselves in the car audio world when they once tried to enter a sound off competiton with a custom woofer of their design...pic below

[​IMG]

8. Apr 16, 2011 at 2:23 PM
    danteisme

Member:
    South Western PA
    Vehicle:
    well i pulled the alternator off the truck today, apparently it tests fine in the vehicle but outside the vehicle it fails the tests. so i ordered a new alternator today. kinda disappointed...70K and the alternator is done? thats pretty bad...

9. Apr 16, 2011 at 2:27 PM
    TRDKenE

TRDKenE DAMN GOOD DEAL!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenny
    Richmond, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '10 D-CAB OFF-ROAD 4X4
    TRD CAI, GrillCraft.
    its a mechanical part bro...things fail

10. Apr 16, 2011 at 4:45 PM
    danteisme

Member:
    South Western PA
    Vehicle:
    true, i've just never had one fail as early as this one. things happen

11. Apr 16, 2011 at 8:55 PM
    iowa530

iowa530 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Iowa
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab 4X4, TRD
    If it's the alternator, you may be able to rebuid it. I replaced the brushes on an odl Corrola once and it worked for another 50k mi.

12. Apr 17, 2011 at 6:30 AM
    danteisme

Member:
    South Western PA
    Vehicle:
    yeah i talked to a place that rebuilds them. i explained how my light intermittently comes on and goes off. he said it sounds like it could be a diode on its way out, or something else starting to fail. he said they would have to tear it down to see exactly what was wrong with it, order the parts etc... he said i'd be looking at 2-3 days down time and upt to $220. i cant have my truck sitting for 3 days, so i found a rebuilt one from autozone with a lifetime warranty for $169.00

13. Oct 5, 2014 at 6:49 AM
    Wickedwanda

Wickedwanda New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wanda
    Gardner Creek Canada
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma
    I am having the same problem with the battery light coming on when starting, I have no added features to worry about. I have a 2007 Toyota Tacoma I have replaced the battery and the light still comes on, Could you tell me if when you replaced your alternator if that has fixed your problem. Thank You

14. Oct 5, 2014 at 7:05 AM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    Welcome to TW.

Three year old thread revival... I would guess lack of repost means problem solved.

15. Oct 5, 2014 at 7:43 AM
    danteisme

Member:
    South Western PA
    Vehicle:
    Yes, the alternator fixed the issue. And earlier this year the rebuilt failed. Love lifetime warranties

16. Oct 5, 2014 at 1:49 PM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    How long is a life time alternator wise:confused:

17. Oct 9, 2014 at 10:07 PM
    Minnetacoma

Minnetacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Elliott
    Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    96 tacoma sr5 with oe sunroof
    3.5 fabtech suspension lift with dirt logic shocks, Wheelers Alcon 8 pack rear leafs with extended brake line All pro rock sliders Cbi DIY front bumper with m8000 winch Cbi bushmaster 1.0 non swing arm 33x10.5 BFG mud terrains Skid row front skid plate Trs headlight retro fit fxr 2.5in projectors with rbg halos Audio/electrical upgrades K2 73ah lithium battery Big 4 upgrade 300a Ohio generator alt Alpine type r 6.5 coaxials in front Alpine type s 6.5 coaxials in back Alpine double din touchscreen Digital designs z3 15” subwoofer Digital designs m4 amp Alpine ktp 445u behind the dash amp for speakers 152db
    Considering I can pick up the the parts at a bearings and more farm parts store in Minnesota for 7-15 bucks id say it would be wise beyond the vehicles life... Unless maybe the alternator was for a tacoma ;)

18. Sep 11, 2018 at 10:16 PM
    Pkosnobike

Pkosnobike New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma

19. Sep 11, 2018 at 10:16 PM
    Pkosnobike

Pkosnobike New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma
    My 2006 Tacoma battery light intermittently came on and off, the battery and alternator tested good. There are three wires that come off the plug in of the alternator. I unwrapped the wire harness and found the white wire had corroded on the inside of the wire and it broke in the middle. I cut out 3” out of the wire to eliminate the corrosion. Spliced, soldered, and heat shrinked in a new piece of wire. Light is now off and truck works like it should.

Steves104x4, PzTank, Hotdog and 4 others like this.
  20. Sep 14, 2019 at 5:52 PM
    wannabemtnbiker

wannabemtnbiker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derrick
    Georgetown Tx
    Vehicle:
    2008 White Tacoma Prerunner
    I'm having the same issues with my 2008 Tacoma. I replaced the alternator less than a year ago. Just recently the battery light started coming on for short and long periods of time, then go off. Doesn't matter if every electrical item is on or off. At times, the fan speed changes and the lights occasionally get dim, then normal, then dim ect....
    There doesn't seem to be a pattern when the battery light illuminates.
    And the truck cranks like a champ everytime.
    Today I had Auto Zone to check system and the tester showed my 1 yr old battery was bad, even swap on a new battery and several hours with just a few miles later and the light is coming on, but going out quicker than before.
    I've checked the ground from the truck body and also from the motor block and both read the same and the voltage meter shows a steady charge from the alternator.
    Think the ground lead to the frame could be an issue, or just a defective alternator?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019

Products Discussed in

To Top