1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Battery Operated Socks!!??? Gloves?

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by Janster, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Nov 7, 2010 at 12:13 AM
    Janster

Janster [OP] Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Hey Gang,
    My husband and I play airsoft.... not so much in the winter, but when we do - we like to make the experience as comfortable as possible.

Every year - I talk about getting battery operated socks and have yet to buy any. I have no idea what to even look for.

Suggestions? Obviously, something that warms the toes....
    I've seen lots of different types. Something durable & actually works and don't mind spending a bit (just not too much).

Any how about gloves? Is there such a thing as 'thin' battery operated gloves?
    I know they have those BIG ski gloves, but you can't pull a trigger of an airsoft gun with ski gloves.

Thanks!

2. Nov 7, 2010 at 12:18 AM
    PRBulldog36

PRBulldog36 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Juan
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2006 PreRunner SR5 TRD Off Road
    Bilsteins 5100's X4 front set at 2.5 and rear AAL,BFG Rugged Trail T/A P265/65R/17, Warrior 375 17X8 Wheels with Gorilla locks,Black Billet Grille top and bottom and replaced Toyo emblem with Dallas Cowboys Star by MetalMiller, Vent Shade window louvers and hood bug shield, Fog light anytime mod,Dome light Mod,Blue interior LED's, Six inch Black Chrome billet antenna,Firestik CB Antenna, Cobra 75 CB, 12Vt/DC outlet back of Center Console, CB external speaker, Sirius Satellite Radio, Westin tube step up bars (Chrome), Tinted windows (legal), Eyebrow on windshield (Limo),Leather arm rest mod,HID H4's(fog), HID plug and play 8000, Tailgate theft prevention mod and Tailgate Pop-n-Lock, Trailer hitch brake light,Garmin GPS Dashboard Mount, Baja Lights on the rear bed rail, In Bed Mt Bike carrier, Tail gate extender, N-Fab light bar with Four Hella 500's, Fold down antenna,WeatherTech digital floor mats, mount,Kenwood head unit, Polk Audio 6X9,Two 12 ' Subs MTX, Kenwood Excellon 5 1/4, Ke
    I tried the battery operated socks and was dissapointed. However I was in Alaska at the time. They did not do the job. I don't remember the name brand but they did cost me close to $ 40.00 a a pair. Depending on how cold it gets where you are I would probably just do layers.

3. Nov 7, 2010 at 6:46 AM
    niit_train

niit_train Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    WV
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab
    No mods, just extra accessories. Realtree bug shield, vent visors, and a custom Realtree Hunter 4X4 Bully
    Janster,
    I have been exploring the option of this brand for heated clothes. I am wanting to plan a whitetail hunt to Saskatchewan, and me and severe cold do not get along well. You can purchase these at many places, but I have been researching them at Dick's Sporting Goods website. They have gloves, jackets, vests. I have seen them in camo, but not sure about other colors. Hope this helps!

NT

4. Nov 7, 2010 at 7:02 AM
    Janster

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    Are you talking about these:
    http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10801479

Looks like another problem I'm going to have, is finding some that are small enough for me. I wear size 7 mens. The smallest those come in are 9.
    ARGH!

5. Nov 7, 2010 at 7:25 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    Janster...
    I got my Dad those socks from Dicks Sporting Goods last year for Christmas. He uses them when he sits and reads (feet get cold.) From what I can tell the battery pack on them would be a pita if your moving around alot outdoors. You might look into just a good pair of warm insulated boots and wool socks.
    As far as the gloves go there are some out there that are thin enough for your requirments and have a pocket sewn in for slipping the chemical handwarmer packets into.

6. Nov 7, 2010 at 7:33 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    In all my outdoor adventures, from the service to skiing and snowmobiling..the best is what offroadtoy suggested. A good pair of boots & socks w/ a wool blend no cotton. Change your socks often for your feet sweat which is why they get cold thus why cotton is no good. It holds the water making it worse.

At times use the portable shake heaters just to take the chill off but that usually when its waaaay cold....again its the sweating that gets you.

The hunters will pipe in too...maybe they have some tricks....

7. Nov 7, 2010 at 7:42 AM
    05 TRD Sport

05 TRD Sport She's Fat, I'm Drunk, It's On.

Member:
    30 minutes south of Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    Red Prerunner AC
    Merino wool socks. For gloves, go to army surplus and get wool glove liners, skip on the leather covers ( too loose and bulky) and get some cheap brown cotton jersey (work) gloves for outer covers. This glove combo has served me well through many winters of carpentry. Provides warmth and dexterity. Replace the jersey glove when it starts wearing because once you get a hole in the wool liner, it will quickly unravel. A good glove setup for less than $10.

8. Nov 7, 2010 at 7:44 AM
    05 TRD Sport

05 TRD Sport She's Fat, I'm Drunk, It's On.

Member:
    30 minutes south of Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    Red Prerunner AC
    x2

9. Nov 7, 2010 at 7:47 AM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
  10. Nov 7, 2010 at 8:08 AM
    niit_train

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    WV
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab
    No mods, just extra accessories. Realtree bug shield, vent visors, and a custom Realtree Hunter 4X4 Bully
    No, Jan, sorry, I did not specify the socks. I was just pointing out other items that may interest you. SOrry for the confusion.

nt

11. Dec 29, 2010 at 7:09 AM
    niit_train

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    WV
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab
    Janster and others,

I just ran across more heated gear. It can be seen at www.ventureheat.com

NT

12. Dec 29, 2010 at 10:38 AM
    Rmodel65

Rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

Member:
    Jawja
    Vehicle:
    1996 Yota 4x4
    Viper Red paint
    i dont know how you guys do it...we are sitting at almost 60 degrees today...last time it snowed here was 1989. snow is nice and all but only for a day or two

as for winter gear you might want to check with motorcycle accessory places and see what all they offer

13. Dec 29, 2010 at 10:50 AM
    Mod

Mod Well-Known Member

Member:
    CR, WA
    Vehicle:
    1999 8 port 3RZ 4WD SR5
    stock
    Thick and thin wool ski socks, thick on the calf, thin on the toe, so you can wiggle your toes and keep them warm. snowmobile boots also.

Battery operated socks will cook your feet, you'll be pulling the battery out.

Wool glove liners (and spares) for a pair of thin gloves.

14. Dec 29, 2010 at 12:10 PM
    Janster

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:

Products Discussed in

To Top