1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

battery question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by avid, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Jun 20, 2011 at 1:47 PM
    avid

avid [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    don
    florida
    Vehicle:
    07 4cyl access cab
    Newb here.
    I have an 07 access cab 4 cyl. with 42k miles on it. Most driving is less than 10 - 15 per trip. I live in Florida so temps are usually warm to hot.
    truck runs good, no start up problems but i wonder if it's time to change the battery or should it be ok till 50K.
    If replacement is recommended what battery is best.
    thanks

2. Jun 20, 2011 at 1:59 PM
    jrider636

jrider636 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    justin
    tally,fl
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma prerunner
    i replace batteries when they die...guess u could replace early to prevent a fail but theres battery stores everywhere. get ur monies worth out of it!

3. Jun 20, 2011 at 2:52 PM
    shane100700

shane100700 Look'n like a fool with your pants on the ground..

Member:
    Fort Dix, NJ (MT born and raised)
    Vehicle:
    08 Off Road, DC
    Kenwood 6140 w/nav/BlueTooth/backup cam/ Focal Components/ Alpine PDX-5/ JL 10", rear storage lock mod, tint, Snug Top xtra vision, OEM running boards, XD Spy 18x9, Nitto Terra Gripper AT's, AFE pro dry, Ultra Gauge
    If you are that concerned about it, stop by an auto store and have them test it. My $$ says its perfectly fine, but you could periodically get it testest if you dont know how to do it yourself and you are worried about it.

4. Jun 20, 2011 at 5:00 PM
    Jerry Bear

Jerry Bear Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Mesquite, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access Cab
    tint, topper, receiver hitch, trailer wiring, topper lighting, cruise control, intermittent wipers, backup camera, auto-dim mirror
    Here in Texas, I found that a battery lasts about 3 - 4 years, so I replace mine every 3 years so I don't get stuck somewhere with a dead battery.

Make sure that you buy from somewhere with a decent inventory of batteries so that you get the right size. I used to buy from Pep Boys. They didn't stock the right battery size for my car, so they would sell me a battery that wasn't the right size. It was either too big for the tray, so it sat a little off-level (bad for the battery), or it was smaller than it should be (less capacity).

For your climate, you don't care about the CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) specification of the battery. Instead, maximize the RC (Reserve Capacity). CCA is maximized by using many thin plates inside the battery instead of fewer thicker plates. In a hot environment, those thin plates can warp and short together, killing the battery.

I am not sure about how much warranty to buy. I've never seen any real difference in performance between the different warranty periods. I wonder if they are all the same battery with different labels.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...tting-started/car-battery-getting-started.htm

5. Jun 20, 2011 at 5:14 PM
    o5iiawah

o5iiawah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Philly 'burbs, PA
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x2 access cab 2.7l
    before you fire up your taco in the morning, test the voltage. Once your battery has a standing voltage of less than 12.2v it is time to change - especially if you have 42k and its a stock battery.

6. Jun 20, 2011 at 5:44 PM
    hansonian

hansonian swims with fishes

Member:
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle:
    2007 Double Cab PreRunner SR5
    Stock
    Mine lasted 25,000 miles before it died with no warning in the Florida heat. I generally wait until it starts showing some sign of being weak before I replace it. I bought the top of the line Autozone battery and it seems to do fine.

7. Jun 20, 2011 at 5:59 PM
    tacomathom

tacomathom Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    It's not new, it's not Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2010 4 X 2 Regular Cab
    Chrome exhaust tip
    I would start looking for a new battery in your situation. I look for the exact same group/size battery, then I go for the longest free replacement period, then the lowest price.

8. Jun 20, 2011 at 6:05 PM
    Texoma

Texoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    Poweraid TB spacer, a bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA 2035s headers and dey are perty, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, LR UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, 5 factory 16" steels wit Pep Boys special Dakota Definity MT's in 285/75/16, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more but it's alre
    I go by shelf life of 3-5 years or when it seems to be getting weak. Go top of the line and get a red or yellow top optima battery. Previously I've used die hard, but I'm not sure how reliable they are anymore.

9. Jun 21, 2011 at 12:29 AM
    Clay Pigeon

Clay Pigeon Member

Member:
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    White SR5 w/JBL 4x4
    Our batteries only last 3-5 years? Wow...I JUST replaced the stock battery on my '02 civic. It lasted me 9 years and it just turned 80k

To Top