1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Battery/Starter Help

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by spencer_hong, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Oct 13, 2010 at 11:40 AM
    spencer_hong

spencer_hong [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Palos Verdes, SoCal
    Vehicle:
    BlackedOut 07 DC
    K&N Air Charger CAI 63 Series, Flowmaster Delta 50 Series Muffler, Helo Maxx6 Black Wheels 17'', Blacked out headlights, blacked out tail lights, interior neon,, Luminics H4 Pure Blue headlight bulbs, Luminics H10 Pure Blue Fog Light bulbs, 10% tint all around, blacked out emblems, Pioneer In-Dash DVD
    My battery was getting to the end of its life and I just replaced it with a new one. However I've still had trouble starting. This morning when I turned the key I would just get a click sound, the radio and all the lights still come on if I turn the key half way, and I have a brand new battery so I know it cant be that. After about 15 tries and wiggling the battery cables, I finally got it to start. It did it once more, I played with the cables again and got it to start after 3 tries or so. I'm hoping it was a loose connection to the battery (tightened the cables). Could it be the starter? Toyota doesn't think it is the alternator, I gave them a call since I was just in for service 2 days ago.

It's an 07 Tacoma V6. Help or ideas would be much appreciated

2. Oct 13, 2010 at 11:52 AM
    Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Indego Ink TRD OR
    Electric Tail Gate Lock, EZ Down + Cable Mod, Galvanized Underbody, DK 9000, CloudRider SS Grill insert. BakFlip HD, Cabin Air Filter mod, Alarm, Zero Rust !
    The battery posts are not tight enough. Only tight will conduct high current. If there on correctly there is no way you will be able to wiggle them.

Don't go nuts but they have to be tight. Check also where the wires enter the terminal and make sure that spot is ok too. Nice and clean nice and tight.

3. Oct 13, 2010 at 1:02 PM
    spencer_hong

Member:
    Palos Verdes, SoCal
    Vehicle:
    BlackedOut 07 DC
    K&N Air Charger CAI 63 Series, Flowmaster Delta 50 Series Muffler, Helo Maxx6 Black Wheels 17'', Blacked out headlights, blacked out tail lights, interior neon,, Luminics H4 Pure Blue headlight bulbs, Luminics H10 Pure Blue Fog Light bulbs, 10% tint all around, blacked out emblems, Pioneer In-Dash DVD
    I think Toyota may have removed them and didn't put them on tight enough, I was just in for service 2 days ago. I tightened them and hoping that is the issue, only time will tell. Thanks for the reply

4. Oct 13, 2010 at 1:46 PM
    rhavin42

rhavin42 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vladimir
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    09 DC LB SPORT 4x4
    did it do this with the old batter too? there is a tsb out for 05-07 for intermittent starting, no idea if this applies for you or it's just a battery/starter issue

Attached Files:

5. Oct 13, 2010 at 2:18 PM
    spencer_hong

Member:
    Palos Verdes, SoCal
    Vehicle:
    BlackedOut 07 DC
    I can't tell you if the old battery had the same issue because it was on the last end of its life.

Even after tightening the cables to the battery I'm still having the same issue. I get one single "click" sound and it fails. Depending on how long my car has been sitting it still takes quite a few tries to get it going.

6. Oct 13, 2010 at 2:50 PM
    rhavin42

rhavin42 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vladimir
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    09 DC LB SPORT 4x4
    could possibly be the transponder thingie in your key.... do you have the other set of keys to try with?

7. Oct 13, 2010 at 3:20 PM
    larryde09

larryde09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport, White Double Cab "Yeti"
    Current: DR750S-2CH Dash Cam, USB Fast Charger in stock blank, Hondo Garage phone mount Previous: 2006 Black 2.7L 5-spd SR5 4x4 Access Cab - K&N Cold Air Intake, Modified Magnaflow Cat-back Exhaust, Altezza Tail Lights, Pop&Lock Tailgate Lock, Extang Trifecta Tonneau Cover, PIAA foglights with stock switch, DrawTite Hitch, OBX Shift Knob, Hood Protector, Vent Visors, DIY step bars, DIY Bed Lights, DIY Ground Lights, DIY Tailgate Electrical Box, Aftermarket switches in stock dash blanks, Sony Head Unit, Illuminated 4x4 switch mod
    Assuming your cables are tight on the battery, since you hear clicking and the radio is on, your battery is likely connected ok. It's unusual, but your new battery could have a defect. But since it intermittently starts up, it's probably not the alternator or battery. It certainly could be the starter or a bad chassis ground somewhere too...check the batttery, starter, and alternator chassis grounds.

8. Oct 13, 2010 at 3:28 PM
    spencer_hong

Member:
    Palos Verdes, SoCal
    Vehicle:
    BlackedOut 07 DC
    I am at Toyota right now and they're going to check it out. The battery passed it's check but one of the guys here thinks the battery might be defective. I'm hoping that's the case, I would hate to have to replace the starter or anything else.

9. Oct 13, 2010 at 8:26 PM
    spencer_hong

Member:
    Palos Verdes, SoCal
    Vehicle:
    BlackedOut 07 DC
    Ended up being the starter. Bad news. Toyota quoted me $500 but I am taking it to a friend's dad's shop locally who is going to take care of it. Case of bad luck

10. Oct 13, 2010 at 9:38 PM
    S.B.

S.B. Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    15 Taco
    LT, Glass, CBI Front bumper, NWTI Rear bumper, 35s
    You don't have an extended warranty?

11. Oct 14, 2010 at 2:13 PM
    spencer_hong

Member:
    Palos Verdes, SoCal
    Vehicle:
    BlackedOut 07 DC
    No I do not, I took it into a local automotive place owned by a friend. They'll be able to take care of it for far less than what Toyota wanted.

Products Discussed in

To Top