1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bay Area doctor shot and killed during Sierra trip

Discussion in 'Northern California' started by BalutTaco, Jul 7, 2020.

1. Jul 27, 2020 at 4:22 PM
    Hobbs

Hobbs Anti-Lander from way back…

Member:
    Yep…
    Vehicle:
    Rock Bangen', Desert Tamin', Gold Findin' Machine!
    What a shame. Humans suck.

2. Jul 27, 2020 at 4:22 PM
    BalutTaco

BalutTaco [OP] Moja_Przygoda

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement Limo Trail Edition -> 2022 Magnetic Grey OR
    Bird nest engine bay.
    How about Canada o,o

12TRDTacoma[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Jul 27, 2020 at 4:32 PM
    12TRDTacoma

12TRDTacoma Powered by Ford, GM, VW, and Mercedes

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Concordia
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4 Supercharged
    Boosted
    Fuck it dude. Wherever you are now. You gotta be careful and protect your life. They don't care about it clearly so you gotta make your own luck in this world. It's every man for themselves out there lately. It's like a freaking jungle these days.

BalutTaco[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  4. Jul 27, 2020 at 4:46 PM
    Currygoat

Currygoat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area, California
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma 2.4 5 Speed
    Rims, 4600 Bilsteins, K&N filter
    Very sad. Its beautiful country but there is bad Juju in the gold country. You can feel it when your up there. I lived on highway 88 for a few years. The serial killers Leonard Lake and Charles Ng use to drive by our house daily during their torture / killing spree. Now Meth is a really big problem in all of the foothills.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
    colton1er likes this.
  5. Jul 27, 2020 at 9:55 PM
    ian408

ian408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    What happened was horrible. I feel for the families of the victims, especially for the wife of the doctor. Definitely did not deserve this. Kudos to the young man for not losing his shit and getting away. He was able to survive an overnighter and help the cops find the killer. Way to go young man.

What's sad about the attitudes are that people living in these areas depend on tourist dollars. When the locals start shooting people? That shit will dry up and your tourist dollars will become drug problems. It's a bit of a symbiotic relationship in which no good can come for these destinations.

6. Sep 9, 2020 at 5:46 PM
    itr1275

itr1275 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerold
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '00 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Icon Coilovers, Daystar Shackles. Sliders.
    Sad and screwed up in so many ways. It just reinforces my premise that people can be dicks.

That was my first thought. I was warned about exactly that on a trip up to Mendocino Co and inquired about off roading. I would be in a solo truck with my wife and not feeling like I wanted to get into a shoot out that day, we played it safe and stayed on the road.

The problem is the location of the shooting would be a give away to their farm, lab or whatever unless they are mobile. It would be to their advantage to just pursued people to leave without an incident. So I'm still inclined to say it was someone who's mother didn't hug them enough.

7. Sep 9, 2020 at 8:14 PM
    MtnFisher

MtnFisher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ZeroDrift
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD ACLB V6 MT
    Currently running Goodyear DuraTracs with "ghetto" wheels
    Really sad and tragic incident involving that doc and his son.

I always pack heat. Have had a few close calls. One night 2 or 3 tweakers pulled into my NF camp at 2:30AM in the morning blasting music, then dancing in their headlights about 10yds away. Another car arrived, and the driver proceeded to smoke some weed with the first group. It was deer season so I was armed, I then quietly and swiftly loaded my gear and drove past them. About a half mile down the dirt road I turned off into another spot more hidden from the forestry road. A few minutes later both vehicles came down the dirt road blasting music, I was ready with my deer rifle but they kept on going. My 6yr old son at the time slept thru the whole incident in back of my 02 Tacoma (w/topper).

Always pack when in remote areas, I bet these folks weren't:

https://www.strangeoutdoors.com/mys...18/donnell-vista-point-strange-disappearances

8. Sep 9, 2020 at 8:29 PM
    Sprig

Sprig Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    N. Calif. The Twilight Zone
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD double cab 4x4, Barcelona Red
    The guy who killed the doctor was a wacko, a nut job lowlife scum. No pot grow or drug lab was involved. As I recall the guy had a run in with the law earlier in the day and escaped. He may have been high when the encounter happened, just don’t recall. The scumbag was on an Atv when the doctor and his son approached him on a dirt road for directions. The guy just pulled out a gun and killed the doc. No warning. His son had enough sense to leap from the Jeep and run and hide. It saved his life. I think most youngsters would have panicked and froze and become another victim.
    The son will be scarred emotionally for life. To make matters worse the mother of the boy/wife of the doctor was being treated at the time for a very aggressive form of cancer. It didn’t sound like her chances of survival were very good. I don’t know what her current status is. The whole thing is truly tragic.
    Back in the day I was a cop for awhile. I learned to read people and developed certain smarts and learned to constantly be vigilant and be prepared. I am a different person when I’m off in the boonies especially by myself. I’m always armed and a little cautious when I’m approached by a stranger. My hand is on my gun whether it’s in a holster or in a pocket. Being armed and prepared saved my ass twice while by myself in remote areas. Once I fired the weapon and the other time displaying the weapon was sufficient for the tweeker to move on.
    When you travel around in the boonies be armed, be prepared, be vigilant and know how and when to use your weapon.
    Stay safe out there.

MtnFisher and BalutTaco[OP] like this.
  9. Sep 9, 2020 at 8:43 PM
    itr1275

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerold
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '00 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    A friend and her husband that moved from San Jose to El Dorado County. They went to get CCW permits (because they will issue there) and the Sheriff told her they want every women in the county armed, because it's a lot easier to write up a self defense case than rape and murder.

Personally, I would like to think Leonard Lake and Charles Ng (cuckoo nutz-o) are the exception, and I actually believe that is true. Look at TW there are a limited number of psychopath on this forum. o_O Unfortunately there are people looking to prey on the unprepared and I agree with be aware and prepared will solve most of the issues that arise.

In the case of the doctor it sounds like an ambush and maybe not much he could have done. Not getting lost would have helped, but once he engage it sounds like a done deal. The problem it he kid will be saying "what if" for the rest of his life. I can't image what that would be like.

tinker_troy likes this.
  10. Sep 10, 2020 at 1:04 AM
    phdo

phdo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Army Green TRD Pro
    Thank God I have a CCW. I’m packing everywhere I go. I’m not widowing my wife and leaving my two boys fatherless.

Dan8906 and Sprig like this.
  11. Sep 10, 2020 at 7:50 AM
    Dan8906

Dan8906 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Concord, California
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma ext cab TRD 4x4
    CBI sliders, ADS extend travel with compression adjuster coil overs, 9” Bilstein 5125 rear shocks, Icon Tubular UCA, Alcan custom leafs, All Pro Apex bumper and skids, NWTI rear diy bumper, 295/70/17 Cooper St Maxxs and nitro 4.88s.
    Yeah I wish I could get a ccw but it’s almost impossible in my county

12. Sep 10, 2020 at 9:27 AM
    Sprig

Sprig Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Vehicle:
    The availability of a ccw permit depends on the county you reside in and the sheriff of that county. I live in Sac county and the sheriff believes in an armed citizenry. As long as you pass the background check and complete you’ll get your cow in Sac unless you are a nut job during the interview. When you get the ccw you must attend 2 days of instruction although in some county’s its less. You will learn a lot in those classes. If you become ccw the one thing you absolutely need is ccw insurance. It pays for legal fees if you are sued or prosecuted. Almost 100% of the time you’ll be sued by the victim’s family no matter what the circumstances.

BalutTaco[OP] likes this.
  13. Sep 10, 2020 at 10:00 AM
    MtnFisher

MtnFisher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ZeroDrift
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD ACLB V6 MT
    Currently running Goodyear DuraTracs with "ghetto" wheels
    If you are a licensed hunter or fisher you may carry concealed while in the field (except in the National or State Parks). Make sure you have your hunting and/or fishing license and a copy of the penal code while packing in the field:

California Penal Code Section 12027(g)

"Section 12025 does not apply to, or affect, any of the following:

(g) Licensed hunters or fishermen carrying pistols, revolvers, or
    other firearms capable of being concealed upon the person while
    engaged in hunting or fishing, or transporting those firearms
    unloaded when going to or returning from the hunting or fishing
    expedition."

Dan8906 and Bentrodder like this.
  14. Sep 10, 2020 at 10:59 AM
    itr1275

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerold
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '00 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    I'm not a lawyer here and I don't play one on TV either. So take it for what it's worth.

Do what you need to do to keep yourself safe. But this could be read differently.

This PC implies you can carry a concealed loaded firearm, but it also says unloaded. I would take that as transporting unloaded firearms and otherwise loaded. But it could interpret unloaded as inclusive of the entire text.

Translation: Check with Chuck Michels office for clarification.

15. Sep 10, 2020 at 11:04 AM
    Outdoorsy_Yota

Outdoorsy_Yota Hella-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    duhbondo JIW Local 378
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    17 DCLB TRD OR LOL
    Criminals do not follow laws.... Do not understand why people don't get this... You either 1.) Take the risk of following the laws and hoping everyone around you does too 2.) carry no matter what and go about your business 3.) stay home

it is really that simple, folks

16. Sep 10, 2020 at 11:24 AM
    Sprig

Sprig Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Vehicle:
    12025 (g) is a little known section of the penal code that does allow fishermen and hunters to have a concealed loaded weapon while fishing or hunting. You can’t have it loaded or concealed while going to or from your destination. Many LEO’s are not aware of this especially as it apples to fishermen. That is why it’s a good idea to carry a copy of 12025 a through j. Most game wardens are aware of this but sheriff and local LEO may not be.

17. Sep 10, 2020 at 1:30 PM
    Michaelo

Michaelo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2014 Regular Cab 4x4 5 Speed
    I personally don't own anything I could reasonably conceal nor do I ever advocate intentionally breaking the law but I believe for most of you concealed carry in California without a license is a misdemeanor.

Also, in this case it seems concealed carry wouldn't have done much.

18. Sep 10, 2020 at 1:31 PM
    JEEPNIK

JEEPNIK Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Voodoo Blue TRD Sport
    First time misdemeanor. After that felony.

19. Sep 10, 2020 at 1:32 PM
    Outdoorsy_Yota

Outdoorsy_Yota Hella-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    duhbondo JIW Local 378
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    17 DCLB TRD OR LOL
    Yup, while concealing a dirk or dagger is a felony... choose wisely

Products Discussed in

To Top