1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

be honest. have you ever had any "cargo" fall out of your truck?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by aficianado, Mar 6, 2010.

1. Mar 6, 2010 at 6:44 PM
    aficianado

aficianado [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR
    back to bone stock.
    man, i had to dodge a mattress and a dresser drawer on my way home from work today. both times, some dude was on the side of the road, looking sad as his stuff was getting mutilated by traffic. the dresser looked like it imploded on impact, and cars were driving over sheets of wood.

i have dropped a mattress. felt like an idiot, because i didnt cinch down the ratchet straps enough to take up the mattress fluff.

2. Mar 6, 2010 at 6:46 PM
    godofspeed

godofspeed Washington State.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Skagit Valley
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 TRD OR DC
    Body Armor front bumper Body Armor rear bumper Procomp 7089 16x8 285/75/16 BF MT Camburg LT Fox coilover All Pro 11 pack leaf Fox rear shock with DSC Allpro frame slider Smittybuilt 9500 winch Cobra CB w/firestick antenna. Hi-lift Smittybuilt air compressor
    I have to move on Monday. I will tell you if anything drops out. I think I am going to take back street.

3. Mar 6, 2010 at 7:04 PM
    toughtaco

toughtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma dbl cab short bed
    TRD CAI, MBRP dual exhaust, PIAA headlights and driving lights, 5% limo tint, 3 inch Skyjacker lift , AFE throttle body spacer, 285/70/17 BF Goodright AT TA KO, Grillcraft MX with PIAA's behind the grill, anytime fog light mod, reverse camera anytime mod, and PIAA fog lights on the rear bumper anytime mod light bar behind back window with truck lights for reverse assistance, Optima Red Top Battery, Onza 3x5" LEd reverse lights attached to light bar behind cab
    About 5 years ago using my father in law's full size older truck, out fell the entire corner desk. It was on a major highway in my town. About 30 pieces on the hightway. I just loaded it back up in the truck and brought it right to the dumpster. I wish I could have seen the ladies face that was following behind me.

4. Mar 6, 2010 at 7:10 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Airaid Short Ram Intake, 285x75R16 Mickey Thompson MTZs, 16" Konig Countersteer rims, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    Yup, lost the top part of a plastic drawer with an airsoft revolver and sig P226.

Spent 4 hours looking for them along 20kms worth of city streets. Never did find them. Fucking pissed.

5. Mar 6, 2010 at 7:16 PM
    Logically Insane

Logically Insane Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    TN --- USA
    Vehicle:
    2010 PreRunner Access Cab
    Kobalt toolbox mounted with J-Hooks, Locks on storage compartments in bed, Window Visors, Toolbox LED Lights, Underbody Lights, More to come.
    lol, I dont want to talk about it..

Probably 5 years ago, My dad and myself do maintenance on apartments and we got this NICE roll-top desk. Probably hadnt been owned for 2 months.. I mean BRAND NEW!
    Anyways, it was so heavy. dad was like ahh it'll be fine. we're only going 4 miles with it..

So anyways, we start driving in his little Chevy S-10, we get all the way to where we were going with it.. I mean we can see the house, and all of a sudden I see something weird in the passenger mirror,... get to looking, its done flown off, and is just demolished..... Just super sad, it was a nice desk... Needless to say,. I strap everything in now.. Even a paint bucket..

6. Mar 6, 2010 at 7:19 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    Nope, not once not ever. And it will never ever happen. Rope, straps and tiedowns.

Wait :facepalm: when I was a teen I forgot to hook the straps on my surf racks, I heard the thunk of the strap hitting hitting the top of car and watched my board land on the center divider of PCH, D'oh... :facepalm:

7. Mar 6, 2010 at 7:20 PM
    Asgard

Asgard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner DC SR5 w/LSD
    I had my spear tire fall off once, rolled past the truck while I was driving down through the mountains. Think it was my first year of driving. lol

8. Mar 6, 2010 at 7:24 PM
    shitroc

shitroc Master of War

Member:
    First Name:
    Ant
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma TRD 4X4
    Listed in sig.......
    ive never had any cargo fall out personally but a buddy of mine had his brand new two week old Suzuki LT 450r fly off the side of his ford ranger cause it didnt fit in the truck properly and he didnt use tiedowns of any kind

9. Mar 6, 2010 at 7:32 PM
    Taco-NB

Taco-NB MMMMM Taco's

Member:
    New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    '09 4X4 SR5 Access Cab V6 - Black Sand Pearl
    Around 20 years ago I had a 8' x 10' sheet of glass on a side rack that shattered all over the 401 in Toronto. Another time the spare tire fell off from under a different truck. And last year I was taking 4' pieces of fence to the dump and the ropes loosened and 4 sections flew off on the hwy.

The first two were not my fault. The fence was totally my fault for not using enough rope :(

10. Mar 6, 2010 at 7:42 PM
    ForeRunner

ForeRunner Scotch before noon. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Drunken Sailor
    Somewhere between Maine and Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Subaru WRX STI Limited (no wing)
    Extra PSI
  11. Mar 6, 2010 at 8:15 PM
    WV_Tacoma

WV_Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntington, WV
    Vehicle:
    05 Pre, DBL Cab
    Not enough
    Thanks to the late model Taco's slippery plastic bed, and my failure to tie it down, I slide my table saw out the back. The top saw weight allowed it to flip right out of the bed and tore it up....

I keep swearing I am going to spray something grippy down in the bottom

I thought i was taking it slow too.

And we flew about 7 kayaks off a friends truck roof once on a mountain road, half of them dropped down about 300feet in a deep spot...Since then I have a sure proof method and for the better of anyone driving behind me I TRIPLE CHECK NOW. Its just right.

12. Mar 7, 2010 at 3:44 AM
    cranky

cranky Active Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner Double Cab Long Bed
    I lost a my buddies float tube on the way back from a camping trip. Tied down well, I thought, 2 bungees over and 2 more hooked to rings on each side. somehow the tube got loose and I found the bungee ends straightened out.

Got hit by a bookcase side-panel that flew off a station wagon when I was a kid. That was no fun.

13. Mar 7, 2010 at 4:23 AM
    05 TRD Sport

05 TRD Sport She's Fat, I'm Drunk, It's On.

Member:
    30 minutes south of Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    Red Prerunner AC
    I haven't lost anything in my Tacoma but I've lost several things throughout the years. If you haven't, you're either lucky as shit or haven't been driving a truck long enough. I've had stuff fall over the side, slide out the back, or just blow out. I had a dog jump out once. That's why I don't ride my dogs loose in the bed anymore.

14. Mar 7, 2010 at 4:25 AM
    05 TRD Sport

05 TRD Sport She's Fat, I'm Drunk, It's On.

Member:
    30 minutes south of Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    Red Prerunner AC
    I have an OEM bed mat. NOTHING moves around on it.

15. Mar 7, 2010 at 5:21 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    DC or New Jersey - Depends on the day....
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I had a couple of tops to some tupperwear containers come off when I moved just recently....Other than that- Nope. I'm SUPER uptight about that.

It's really dangerous- and I hate when people let shit fly outta there bed at me...so I try to not do it to other people.

16. Mar 7, 2010 at 5:30 AM
    WV_Tacoma

WV_Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntington, WV
    Vehicle:
    05 Pre, DBL Cab
    Not enough
    The OEM Matt does it way a ton? Would a Rhino liner sprayed just in the bottom work as well?

10/4 on the below statement. Respect others!

17. Mar 7, 2010 at 5:42 AM
    AFButters

AFButters Rigger, Please!!

Member:
    First Name:
    "Butters"
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC 4x4 TRD-Sport
    Lifted
    lost a matress off of my old truck.. nothing out of the Tacoma yet.. on accident... lol( Let some leaves and yard waste out on a back country road)

18. Mar 7, 2010 at 5:54 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    SBurl Vermont
    Vehicle:
    13 TRD OR DC MGM
    Stock for now
    yes 2 times...
    1. A huge home built dog house flew out. This thing was the real deal, subfloor, 16 on center, insulated, & asphalt shingle roof....heavy ....well until the wind got ahold of it :eek: 4 guys lifted it in & said it wouldn't move, wrong! Now everything is tied down well until .....
    2. 25 cases of Daffodils for Daffodil days ...they didn't actually fly out, but slide out, I left my tailgate down :facepalm: once I realized they were gone I retraced my route, never found one case & .they never asked me volunteer again.....:eek:

19. Mar 7, 2010 at 6:13 AM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    new jersey
    Vehicle:
    tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    I have forgotten to close the tail gate and nothing came out. You need Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat. Stuff used 2 slide all over and make a lot of noise, now nothing.

20. Mar 7, 2010 at 6:24 AM
    jay_shy

jay_shy Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 silver access cab TRD sport
    I lost about 8 sheets of drywall in the middle of an intersection once. Well I was the passenger of my dads ranger. A few people helped us load it back up and away we went.

The good news is that the corners of two sheets were the only damage done.

Every time I load something in the bed of my tacoma it gets tied down real good.

To Top