1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

be honest people

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by emad, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Jan 2, 2009 at 8:31 AM
    bigtuck21

bigtuck21 Member

Member:
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Sport 3" lift
    3 inch lift
    I would like to have a steel bumper "Ridiculous I know" dented mine no a snowback at the edge of a parking lot. Ran the garage heat on it for a few minutes and pushed it back out with my hand though. Amazingly it did not crack the paint.

Wish I had:

Power rear sliding window "Doublecab"
    Oh shit handle where god intended it to be.
    Saw some posts about a rear defrost, but my front defrost barely works in cold climate.
    I also wish the rail in the bed with the adjustible tiedowns was a bit lower. I can't use it with my bed cover and I could if it was just a bit lower.

Love my truck though.

2. Jan 2, 2009 at 10:01 AM
    TacoBo

TacoBo Active Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    08 4X4 TRD Off Road
    TRD Skid Plate, Tacoma Running Boards, Tuffy Bed Security Lock Box, Spare Tire Lock, Door Sill Protectors, Toyota D-Rings in gthe front of the bed.
    I went from a '95 Toyota extended cab 4x4, to a '01 Toyota DC 4x4, to a '06 Honda Pilot 4WD, back to a '08 Toyota DC 4X4 so I obviously missed my Toyotas to say the least. However, the Pilot was comprably priced with all of the options most everyone has listed: rear defrost, power seats, satellite radio, color matched door handles/mirros, etc. etc. It also was much smoother riding, quieter on the interstate, and got about 6 MPG better than my new Taco even with a 240HP V6. I hate to say it, but I would hate to think Toyota is riding on the Tacoma name and brand loyalty, and not on engineering the quality products I've come to expect. Like someone else said earlier in the thread...at least be better than Honda!

3. Jan 2, 2009 at 11:49 AM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 2016 TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCSB
    Is comparing the two not like comparing apples and oranges though? I agree that the pilot is a fine piece of engineering and does great on the road, but as far as off road capability it doesn't come close to a Tacoma. You have to sacrifice a little for off road performance.

How would you compare your off road adventures so far, and how serious of terrain are you going through?

EDIT: Isnt this a UniBody vehicle too??

4. Jan 2, 2009 at 12:16 PM
    TacoBo

TacoBo Active Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    08 4X4 TRD Off Road
    TRD Skid Plate, Tacoma Running Boards, Tuffy Bed Security Lock Box, Spare Tire Lock, Door Sill Protectors, Toyota D-Rings in gthe front of the bed.
    I don't disagree with anything you're saying, and yes, the Pilot is a unibody vehcile.

I guess the point I was making is that for 30K+ for a loaded Tacoma, you would expect to have features that are relatively cheap, and are found in competitor's vehicles...even in vehicles that fall well below the price point of a nicely equipped Tacoma. Take the gas cap for example. My stripped down '95 Toyota 4x4 had an external lock on the gas door that was opened with the ignition key. Why 13 years later with gas having been at an all time high adjusted for inflation can't toyota put that same $2 lock on their trucks is beyond me. So simple...just like the bed cargo light, 4x4 illumination switch, MP3 link, etc. These things would add virtually nothing to the bottom line and provide a flawless experience to the consumer, i.e. you and me.

Anyway, it sounds like I'm unhappy with my truck and I'm not. I wouldn't trade it back to a Honda Pilot, or anything else on the market for that matter. It's just disappointing that Toyota missed these details that would have been so much easier and cost effective to install during production.

5. Jan 2, 2009 at 12:27 PM
    busatodd

busatodd BUSATODD

Member:
    whiteland
    Vehicle:
    2016 limited mgm
    3rd gen 5100 bilstiens set at 0 with ome 888s, LR UCA, 5160 bilstiens in back with icon 3 leaf aal with 1" block. Fuel savage wheel wrapped in nitto ridge grapplers 285/70/17
    absolutely agree with the easily scratched interior. im anal about keeping my truck clean, inside and out, and theres all kind of little scratches in the interior of the doors.
    agree with power rear slider,would be nice

6. Jan 2, 2009 at 1:13 PM
    Rudbwoy7s

Rudbwoy7s Well-Known Member

Member:
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    08 Double cab 4x4 sr5
    3" Revtek suspension lift, 17" Black and silver American Eagle Alloy wheels, 285/70 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Flowmaster 40 series muffler, sockmonkey brake light cover, Maglight mod, Viper alarm, Smith & Wesson hitch receiver cover
    the price!

7. Jan 2, 2009 at 1:31 PM
    THXEY

THXEY Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    STi Short Shifter.OEM floor illumination kit. Rally Armor Mud Flaps. BC BR Coilovers. Invidia N1 Exhaust
    i want tip-tronic that would be so sick
    um power seats

8. Jan 2, 2009 at 1:34 PM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 2016 TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCSB
    I am completely with you on all those points. I just didn't take your previous post in the way you wanted to convey your point, and my apologies if i went against the grain. You have a very good point about that gas cap too. There is a fairly large problem with people stealing fuel in my city.

I have been extremely disappointed with how badly the interiors of these Tacoma's scratch!! Its pathetic in my opinion.

With that said, I still love my pickup!

9. Jan 2, 2009 at 2:43 PM
    URBIKESUCKS

URBIKESUCKS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Prescott AZ
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD OR
    Rear disk brakes
    Rear window that slides completly down into cab would be cool
    sun roof
    less than 200 miles on it and air bag light came on, took to dealer and was told air bag sensor is bad and they ordered one and will take a complete day to repair..... not happy!!! I bought this truck because I was told by many that it was/ is a great truck that will last. I hope this is a fluke and not the begining of a troubled truck.

10. Jan 2, 2009 at 4:34 PM
    jftaco

jftaco Member

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner Off Road Pkg
    Mine's a 2009 SR5 prerunner/v6, Off Road Ed. I like the truck a lot! I don't like:

1. No heated mirrors as an option (that's just stupid).
    2. Relatively mushy brakes.
    3. Buzz/hum at low rpm's on passenger side floor/knee level (whole thread on this; just search).
    4. No rear bed/cargo light (should have white lights flanking either side of brake light, like with Tundras and Frontiers/Titans).

11. Jan 2, 2009 at 8:45 PM
    flyjbaker

flyjbaker Well-Known Member

Member:
    The McDonalds Quarter Pounder is the market leader of burgers in this country and quite possibly the world. Guess what it had on it 20 years ago???.....mustard...ketchup....onions...and cheese is you so desire. Guess what is on it today??? Exactly the same. And it is still the market leader. It does not change until market forces cause it to change. It is the most widely consumed burger in America....nothing in the market has forced it to change to keep that status.

Toyota in general and specifically the Tacoma is the market leader. The market leader does not innovate. It changes to match when competitors force it to. The Honda Pilot is not a competitor to the Tacoma.Look at the competitors to Tacoma. There aren't many. What are they doing? Not much. Until somebody forces Toyota to innovate, they will just sit there at the top.....drum brakes and all!!!!

12. Jan 2, 2009 at 9:31 PM
    stevigee

stevigee It's a MOD, MOD World

Member:
    First Name:
    Stevigee
    Amarillo Texas
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRAIL TEAMS FJ CRUISER
    TRADED FOR 2010 FJ CRUISER TRAIL TEAM Kenwood KDC x792 deck and SW1 pwr sub,cruise,intermittent wipers,hidden hitch, tint, debadge,Nitto Grapplers 265/75-16,Black Powder Coated Toyota Steelies, black steel Toyota wheel center caps, Vent Visors, front guard, leather seat covers, black front badge, shortie antenna, tow hook, seat maglite mod, shock & leaf spring TSB, Extang Trifecta tonneau cover, custom black Fabwright rock sliders 1 3/4" DOM tubing w/ kickout, skid plate, Pop-A-Lock, Bilsten 5100 shocks, BLHM, Azela black tail lights, LEER topper w/rack, tent
    Dont like the payment.

13. Jan 2, 2009 at 9:38 PM
    jftaco

jftaco Member

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner Off Road Pkg
    flyj, well stated. By the way... I'll have mine with cheese, and some of them thar fries fried in real animal lard circa mid 70's. And pack that QP w/cheese up in one of them thar styrofoam orange square containers to keep that thar burger warm and toasty til my jaw gets snug around it.

14. Jan 3, 2009 at 8:27 AM
    headhunter247

headhunter247 Well-Known Member

Member:
    St. Louis, MO area
    Vehicle:
    18 Taco Double Cab TRD
    5100's all around, OME 888 and Dakars. ProComp Series 05. Cooper SST Maxx 275s.
    Mine has the same tick....and my heater fan motor needs replaced..another common issue of the taco.

15. Jan 3, 2009 at 1:30 PM
    longbow

longbow I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    I would agree, but with plastic anything is possible.

As for the gas cab....I had been doing that for some time, guess I should think a little before hand, may be doing other things that could help here.

16. Jan 3, 2009 at 1:38 PM
    colvilletacoma

colvilletacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Washington
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma
    OME 886 Coils, Bilstein 5100's in Front, Tuff Country in Rear, Custom Racks with winch built in
    Motor Mounts failing.....but besides that $10,000 problem nothing. They are badass trucks and pretty much go where you want them to. Drove an 07 of a friends last night....way different then my 05, got the electronic LSD, not a fan. Guess I would have to get use to it

17. Jan 7, 2009 at 1:44 PM
    emad

emad [OP] Active Member

Member:
    belvidere il
    Vehicle:
    08 regular cab 4x4 sr5
    16 inch american racing chambers with teflon coating 275/75/16 nitto terra grapplers rear window tint and a winch bumper will be put on this spring
    are the 09 tacos any different from the 08s figured that would of made some noticeable changes. also i didnt think this thread would end up being this long haha wow

18. Jan 7, 2009 at 1:50 PM
    fasn8dave

fasn8dave Hey guys watch THIS!

Member:
    Lewisville, NC
    Vehicle:
    06 DC 4x4
    3" Suspension Lift Custom Wheels 265 / 75 / 16 Nitto Terra Grappler Tires (32") Hard Bed Cover Front Bull Bar / Skid Plate Tinted Glass Header Mount GPS Billet Grille
    When I pull up to a stop, I guess the transmission causes the truck to "lurch" forward and I have to clinch the brakes a litte harder.

I then started telling my self that the taco is just remindnig me that it's a badass and that it stops for nobody.... LOL

19. Jan 7, 2009 at 2:19 PM
    Blueridge

Blueridge Well-Known Member

Member:
    would love a power rear window like my 06 Tundra had. better tires from factory. temperature/compass like my Tundra had.

20. Jul 30, 2009 at 2:22 AM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'm still in the bliss of new ownership, so nothing really bothers me yet.

I was a little surprised to find that there is no under-hood insulation pad. Is that typical?

Products Discussed in

To Top