1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bears Ears and Windows

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by Dirty Pool, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Dec 5, 2017 at 8:41 AM
    jberry813

jberry813 Professional Fluffer Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    ...too much shit to list.
    The staff is not the one's that need to take the look at the rule. The problem is the difference of opinions within the community and...lets call it lack of civility. We've let threads go in the past and lock them when that civility ends. It's the same with religion. My comment was intended as a reminder to keep it civil. The minute someone pokes fun, blames, or otherwise insults a party line, it goes down hill fast.
    You of all people know we have let threads progress in the past, even if they would be deemed questionable. Hell...this thread has been open FOR OVER A YEAR and it's still open. Might want to revisit your comment directed towards myself and the staff.

T-Rex266 and tcBob like this.
  2. Dec 5, 2017 at 8:53 AM
    mjp2

mjp2 Living vicariously through myself Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Milton Juevo Portimous II
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    Current: '21 Bronco Badlands. Previous: '06 TRD Access Cab, v6, 6-speed
    There was once a dedicated section of TW for politics which eventually had to be deleted due to the issues it caused. 99% of the most vocal and passionate contributors are unable to attack a subject without attacking the person expressing a view counter to their own.

3. Dec 5, 2017 at 10:40 AM
    Squeaky Penguin

Squeaky Penguin Nothing Ventured, Nothing Gained

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Steamboat Springs, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    '01 4WD, SR5, TRD & '13 TRDOR AC
    Lots of dust and custom dents, Check Build
    One thing I read about and found interesting was the fact that there was a massive increase in tourism at Bears Ears in the last couple years.

I remember seeing a little comic on this site when it was first announced depicting a tour bus dropping off a load of people who were walking a nice, paved path up to some ruins with a big sign.

So what's worse? Moab, the armpit of Southern Utah, seems to be getting worse in worse in regards to touron traffic.

Also, still trying to find good information on the implications of this decision without all the meaningless political slant.

This is pretty good:

https://news.nationalgeographic.com...grand-staircase-escalante-national-monuments/

4. Dec 5, 2017 at 11:40 AM
    Dirty Pool

Dirty Pool [OP] FLIES ON THE FRIES, KETCHUPS WATERED DOWN

Member:
    59.4 Miles, 56.67° NE Of Moab
    Vehicle:
    99 XCAB V6 MT TRD
    Dirty Pool rear bumper/air tank with integrated spare CV shaft storage, DP customized TJM front bumper, 8000 lb Ramsey/Technora rope, E-locked, Extended breathers with front diff catch can, PCV catch can, SAWs with DP heim joint seals, DP custom 6 leaf rear springs/Billies, DP custom skids, 2lo, Gray wire, Cap, Bed Rug, Black steelies, 01 Center console, Map lights, Disraeli gears
    As far as vehicular access, nothing has changed. That's pre-monument to monument to shrunken Monument. As we found out earlier in the thread the only real change in the monument designation was a protection from future development of leases by commercial interests. The "shrinking" just reverts back to previous BLM, USFS and a few tracts of "State Trust" land. I think "future" is the key word here. The I70 corridor on the Co western slope was pretty devoid of "development" until new fracking/shale oil extraction technology became economically feasible.

Well said. This is going to be in the courts for a while plus the fact that area resource extraction is not all that cost effective yet means the first 2 words from the acronym SNAFU apply.

To say the resource extraction industry opens up areas of back country for the 4wd enthusiast is far from an all encompassing statement. That being said, most of what we call trails in SW Utah are the now abandoned remnants of routes carved out by exploration/development by oil/gas/mineral folks. The halftrack on the HITR trail detour is from gas/oil surveying in the late fifties. Nearly all routes in all of Canyonlands are from the mineral folks.
    I run into gates on BLM leases all the time. Usually this is to protect expensive, potentially dangerous sites, like nat gas compressor stations and the like. One does not need to look very far in Nine Mile Canyon Ut to see this.
    The last area to be mapped/surveyed in the lower 48 was NW Co and the adjacent part of Utah. Take a look at that area in Google Earth now, around Rangely Co. Every white spot is a well pad interconnected by a maze of dirt roads and pipelines....................and gates. The now "put on hold" oil shale (not shale oil) strip mining operation in the Utah section of the Bookcliffs was but a few miles from the single most well preserved cultural site ever found. Gates gates and more gates.

I still maintain my original point, explore while the exploring is good. Local folks are reporting a large increase of visitor traffic simply due to the publicity.
    Spring is perfect.

@License2Ill
    Remember your thread dealing with PS hose sealing washers? I posted a shot of the 99 style washers against a 7.5 min USGS quad.
    The "cliff dwelling" notes went unmentioned.
    [​IMG]
    If one views/downloads the the quads of this area at the USGS site, check the older survey dates. For example, map names "Bluff NW" and "Bluff SW" alone contain around 20+ "cliff dwelling" or "ruins" notes. The later surveys leave them out, even the Nat Geo "Trails Illustrated" map of the area (map #706, Grand Gultch Plateau) shows none. Not sure if this is intentional or what.

5. Dec 5, 2017 at 11:50 AM
    Dirty Pool

Dirty Pool [OP] FLIES ON THE FRIES, KETCHUPS WATERED DOWN

Member:
    59.4 Miles, 56.67° NE Of Moab
    Vehicle:
    99 XCAB V6 MT TRD
    Dirty Pool rear bumper/air tank with integrated spare CV shaft storage, DP customized TJM front bumper, 8000 lb Ramsey/Technora rope, E-locked, Extended breathers with front diff catch can, PCV catch can, SAWs with DP heim joint seals, DP custom 6 leaf rear springs/Billies, DP custom skids, 2lo, Gray wire, Cap, Bed Rug, Black steelies, 01 Center console, Map lights, Disraeli gears
    When this came in the mail in July 67, I knew where I was headed.
    Been going down hill since then.
    [​IMG]

Digiratus and jubei like this.
  6. Dec 5, 2017 at 12:23 PM
    License2Ill

License2Ill Woke like a Coma Toyota Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    It's a dry heat thou, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2004 SC'd 5VZ DC 5spd 4x4 TRD.GOV
    Bailing wire & Duct tape
    Unfortunately the only time I had my camera on me.
    IMG_2609.jpg
    IMG_2614-2.jpg
    IMG_2622-2.jpg
    As someone who's Native American this issue transcends politics. This is issue is about my heritage.

7. Dec 8, 2017 at 12:25 PM
    PlankRider6

PlankRider6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2014 Super White TRD DCLB 4x4
    Hey everyone, I know not everyone on here is a rock climber but Access Fund (a non-profit to protect rock climbing access) did an excellent job answering many of the questions you may have regarding Bears Ears. There are several questions that also specifically pertain to 4x4 access which many of us are interested in. I have provided a link below.

https://www.accessfund.org/open-gate-blog/bears-ears-frequently-asked-questions

Digiratus and jubei like this.
  8. Dec 8, 2017 at 12:48 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 SCv6 AutoTrans With Lots of Mods ADS COs w/Compression Adjusters Camburg Uniball UCAs Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushings Kartek 7" Limit Straps Plastics Guy Front Bumpstops Custom Alcan Springs +800 lbs +3" ADS 10" Stroke Triple Bypass w/Resi Rear Shocks Custom Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren Bumpstops 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor Black 17x8 Konig Countersteer Type X 285/70r17 Falken A/T3w Gunmetal 16x8 SCS Ray10s 255/85r16 Maxxis Bighorns Limited Edition (Relentless) Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport Selective Yellow Fog Lights in the Bumper Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro 4,000 Kelvin SAE Driving Lights with Clear Lenses on the Bumper Morimoto D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4300K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Dometic CFX 55im Fridge/Freezer Alpha II Hardshell RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack Denso 210-0461 105 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnuson MP62 Supercharger w/2.37" Pulley Haltech Elite 2000 Standalone ECU Denso 650cc Fuel Injectors Doug Thorley Headers Aeromotive Stealth 340 Fuel Pump TransGo A340F Reprogramming Shift Kit Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT, Magnaflow 18" Muffler w/Vibrant Resonator 13WL Brake Calipers Braided Steel Brake Lines ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    Thanks for posting that link. It contains a lot of new (new to me anyway) information. for instance, I did not realize that the original monument extended to include the Lockhart Basin area and to the Valley of the Gods.

PlankRider6[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Dec 8, 2017 at 1:23 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    2002 XtraCab TRD 4x4 SCv6 AutoTrans With Lots of Mods ADS COs w/Compression Adjusters Camburg Uniball UCAs Whiteline Lower Control Arm Bushings Kartek 7" Limit Straps Plastics Guy Front Bumpstops Custom Alcan Springs +800 lbs +3" ADS 10" Stroke Triple Bypass w/Resi Rear Shocks Custom Rear Shock Relocate All-Pro U-bolt Flip w/Timbren Bumpstops 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker ARB Twin Compressor Black 17x8 Konig Countersteer Type X 285/70r17 Falken A/T3w Gunmetal 16x8 SCS Ray10s 255/85r16 Maxxis Bighorns Limited Edition (Relentless) Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport Selective Yellow Fog Lights in the Bumper Diode Dynamics SS3 Pro 4,000 Kelvin SAE Driving Lights with Clear Lenses on the Bumper Morimoto D2S Projectors XB35 Ballasts + 4300K Bulbs Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Dometic CFX 55im Fridge/Freezer Alpha II Hardshell RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack Denso 210-0461 105 amp alternator Dual Northstar 24F AGM batteries BlueSea 7622 ML-ACR Battery controller Peak DBI Dual Battery Voltage Monitor Magnuson MP62 Supercharger w/2.37" Pulley Haltech Elite 2000 Standalone ECU Denso 650cc Fuel Injectors Doug Thorley Headers Aeromotive Stealth 340 Fuel Pump TransGo A340F Reprogramming Shift Kit Magnaflow Hi-Flow CAT, Magnaflow 18" Muffler w/Vibrant Resonator 13WL Brake Calipers Braided Steel Brake Lines ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Kenwood TM-71A Dual Band Ham Radio Larson 70CM/2M Antenna Uniden 520xl CB radio 3' Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1" Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    Agreed. It is a very special place.

I also put my money where my mouth is. I chose to contribute just now to AccessFund to help with their efforts to fight this congressional bill that would gut the antiquities act. Trying to see the bigger picture here.

10. Dec 8, 2017 at 1:44 PM
    PlankRider6

PlankRider6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2014 Super White TRD DCLB 4x4
    That's awesome. I've already done the same. Happy to help keep everyone informed. I've been following it very closely.

Digiratus[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Mar 10, 2018 at 4:56 PM
    License2Ill

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    It's a dry heat thou, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Bailing wire & Duct tape
  12. Mar 10, 2018 at 9:17 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
  13. Mar 12, 2018 at 9:54 AM
    Wishbone Runner

Wishbone Runner Because 4R

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    CO
    Vehicle:
    04 SR5 4Runner
    King/Dirt King
  14. Mar 12, 2018 at 10:23 AM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    hm. Great.

Wishbone Runner likes this.
  15. Mar 12, 2018 at 12:18 PM
    jubei

jubei would rather be doing something else

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    NoCo
    Vehicle:
    White 2002 XC TRD and Yellow 1971 JEEP CJ5
    Stuff. Also things.
  16. Mar 12, 2018 at 4:57 PM
    License2Ill

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    It's a dry heat thou, AZ
    Vehicle:
    Bailing wire & Duct tape
    Yeaaaah. I'm not at all surprised.
    I guess it's all-is-well it came out sooner, rather than later. It'll be wrapped up in the courts for a while.

17. Jun 21, 2018 at 3:30 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
  18. Jun 21, 2018 at 4:06 PM
    jubei

jubei would rather be doing something else

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    NoCo
    Vehicle:
    White 2002 XC TRD and Yellow 1971 JEEP CJ5
    Stuff. Also things.
    I obviously don’t know the specifics of the requirements of this company’s lease. But I’m positive that I can trust this guy’s objective and unbiased judgement that the impact to tourism and the environment will only be “modest”.

19. Aug 2, 2018 at 10:10 AM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Roaming the PNW
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    License2Ill likes this.
  20. Aug 16, 2018 at 11:55 AM
    SubCultureNM

SubCultureNM Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB
    Y'all actually support Bears Ears? You support Federal land grabs with no reasonable management plan? Come on! I'm no fan of the current administration, but hopefully this is now a dead issue. I'd absolutely HATE to lose access to that area, as the Comb Ridge region south of Blanding is one of my favorite places, period. It's so remote that it doesn't see enough traffic to truly worry; most people who go to the trouble of visiting tend to do so with respect and reverence. The gubmint is barely able to manage the lands it already administers, so why would we think Bears Ears would be any different? Closure IS NOT management.

In terms of trails, Hole in the Rock would likely be safe from closure (we plan to run it for a fifth time in '20). But lesser trails that I love, like Arch Canyon, Hotel Rock, and Comb Ridge, would likely be closed. I'm not going to stand for that. As far as resource extraction, I'll tell you this: operators have explored this area, all the way up to Moab, for O&G for decades. How much production is there, even when oil was $100+/bbl? You'll never see full-on development in this area, so don't worry.

Wishbone Runner likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top