1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Beating a speeding ticket.

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by 98yota, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Jul 7, 2009 at 11:20 AM
    98yota

98yota [OP] Mean Green Machine

Member:
    Marion, VA
    Vehicle:
    4WD Timberland Mica taco
    CAI, gutted cat, bed cover.
    Hey guys. I'm kinda pissed right now, because I received a speeding ticket last night, but I think I found a way to beat it, and I want to know what you guys think. First off, I'm from VA if that helps about the state laws...the cop pulled me over for doing 38 mph in a POSTED 25 mph zone. Now I have checked all up and down the street, and there is not a sign on that street that has a posted sign at 25 mph...but it is in a residential area. According to Virginia code 46.2-874 "The maximum speed shall be 25 miles per hour on highways in business or residence districts, except on interstate or other limited access highways with divided roadways or nonlimited access highways having four or more lanes and all state primary highways." But if it's not posted how are you supposed to know? What do you guys think?

2. Jul 7, 2009 at 11:23 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Most places say that if its not posted, that means its 25 mph. Pay the ticket.

3. Jul 7, 2009 at 11:23 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Ignorance is no excuse. That is what they will tell you.

IBTL

:locked:

4. Jul 7, 2009 at 11:27 AM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that

x2

5. Jul 7, 2009 at 11:29 AM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    that's why there are driver's education courses before you get your license. They teach that sort of stuff in there.

You can try going and taking a course before your court date and maybe they'll take pity on you and reduce the ticket.

6. Jul 7, 2009 at 11:33 AM
    Jigzor

Jigzor Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    20 Gladiator Rubicon
    Steersmarts Draglink, Tie rod, Track Bar
    I use to drive like a monkey on crack and have had my share of tickets. I'm not sure if you are worried about points or not. But you can just plead not guilty, show up at court. tell them you weren't using good judgement and ask for no point but still pay the ticket. Honesty usually works.

7. Jul 7, 2009 at 11:35 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    You looked it up on the internet in about 3 seconds- It was said already-Ignorance is no excuse.

Try and get traffic school with no points...but don't try to argue that the limit isn't posted so you shouldn't get a ticket...The judge will just fine you and give you points.

8. Jul 7, 2009 at 11:37 AM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 2016 TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCSB
    Unfortunately for your self, you are liable for knowing the laws. Posted or not, you are at fault.

With that said, don't just pay the ticket and be done with it. This is a truly ignorant way to go about resolving the issue. Use the system to your advantage and see if deferred adjudication is available in your area. If it is available, write the judge a letter requesting such. If not, see if there are any other alternatives that will not require you to plead guilty. Points are no good!

9. Jul 7, 2009 at 11:44 AM
    98yota

Member:
    Marion, VA
    Vehicle:
    4WD Timberland Mica taco
    I didn't just plan on going to court and pay the ticket. I'm going to call the officer today, set up an appointment (if he wants to), and talk to him about it. Maybe that'll show that I really care about this not going on my record. It doesn't hurt to anyways...as long as I don't say "Hey, drop this ticket" haha.

10. Jul 7, 2009 at 11:46 AM
    raskal311

raskal311 Well-Known Member

Member:
    S. Cal
    5100 set to max, pending LSD and TRD CAI
    I'm not sure about VA but in CA if you’re in the state you’re required to know its laws, residence or not. Generally judges would rip you a new one of you claim ignorance so I wouldn’t bother.

11. Jul 7, 2009 at 11:46 AM
    98tacoma27

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    Going on your record? It's a speeding ticket.

12. Jul 7, 2009 at 11:48 AM
    98yota

Member:
    Marion, VA
    Vehicle:
    4WD Timberland Mica taco
    Well, if I just go to court and pay the ticket, it goes on my driving record. I can't afford the insurance rates shooting through the roof.

13. Jul 7, 2009 at 11:51 AM
    98tacoma27

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    There is no way out of this unless there is a mistake on the ticket, and even that is a long shot. You can try to set-up an appointment but I have never heard of it.

14. Jul 7, 2009 at 11:52 AM
    Burgman

Burgman I KEEEEEL YOU

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Ric VA
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner TRD sport Silver
    K&N intake, Boston Acoustic SL 60 6.5 components up front, Rockford Power T16 6.5 in rear, Pioneer P4100 HU, Soon to be Pioneer Prs 4200f
    if its ur first it will get taken off once u complete driving school... plead guilty request driving school, go to driving school, take completion to court, ticket disappears

15. Jul 7, 2009 at 11:53 AM
    98yota

Member:
    Marion, VA
    Vehicle:
    4WD Timberland Mica taco
    Well, you have a right to talk to the officer personally about the ticket. He has full authority whether or not he wants to drop the ticket or not...and also whether he would like to speak to you or not.

16. Jul 7, 2009 at 11:53 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    That's a good reason to know the laws in your area...Good luck.

And read the back of the ticket/state statutes- you may be able to pay a fine and take traffic school online or using a video and get no points with no insurance impact

17. Jul 7, 2009 at 12:02 PM
    mws4ua

mws4ua I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    2018 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 4x4... Yeah yeah, I know.
    It won't hurt to talk to the officer. As you said, he might see that you care and that you're sorry and forgive the ticket (or recommend to the judge that it be ignored.. whatever).

Generally, though, ignorance doens't hold up. I got a ticket for a noise violation in HS. I had NO IDEA there was a noise ordinance in my city, but the judge didn't give a sh**.

Bottom line: you should have known, but now you definitely know.

18. Jul 7, 2009 at 12:02 PM
    trtripoli

trtripoli lower management

Member:
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    07 4,0 L, 6M, Dbl Cab, TRD Off Road
    Eclipse AVN6620 JL 500/1 amp JL 13TW5 sub JL 300/4 JL XR-650CSi Mr Marv Box Blu tooth XM radio Back Up camera, RAAMmat and Ensolite everywhere but ceiling
    well I'm going to thread jack for a sec. :threadjacked:

I just got a ticket for "running" a red light and a camera caught me. but in all honesty I was easily half way through the intersection when it took my picture. and the picture showing my vehicle has a yellow light, NOT EVEN A RED. So I'm pretty sure I can get out of this. I attached my ticket they sent me.

[​IMG]

ticket.jpg

19. Jul 7, 2009 at 12:08 PM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    Is there a video you can watch? Our system allows you to watch it.

I would try calling up the company that issued the ticket and talking to them. If you fight it in court it will go against your driving record and will cost you twice what you are supposed to pay now.

20. Jul 7, 2009 at 12:13 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    I can't tell anything from those photos- but yeah...It won't usually take your photo as soon as you cross the line...The camera needs time to process and snap the shot.

Good luck with your fight tho.

Products Discussed in

To Top