1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Because We're Not North Enough To Be NOVA, We're Just Stuck Between the North and the True South

Discussion in 'Virginia' started by Wild Crow, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Jun 26, 2020 at 4:57 AM
    Tactical_Panda

Tactical_Panda Armchair Anarchist

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma Double Cab, Off-Road Edition
    AJT Designs Shifter AJT Designs Battery Hold-Down ARB Awning 2500x2500 ARB Twin Compressor w/ Slee Offroad Mounting Bracket Avid Brush Bar Avid Step Bars Black Rock Wheels Series 997 Type 8 Circuit Breaker/Relay Panel Custom TRD Decals Bulletproof Fabricating Raptor Grill Bulletproof Fabricating Cooling Panel Bulletproof Fabricating Tow Hook Duluth Trading Company Dog Hammock Exhaust Breather Mod eBay Special 3-Gallon Air Tank Expedition Essentials TPAM EZ Down tailgate damper Flagpole Mounts, Dual Foglight Mod Front Camera Rear Camera; full time available General Grabber tires Goat Armor Hella Supertone Horns Iggy Switch Panel Icon Dynamics Stage 3 Suspension Katskin Leather Interior KickAss camp shower LED Bed Lights LED Interior Lights Midland MXT275 GMRS Two-Way Radio OEM Audio Plus Reference 500 audio upgrade Plano Cases. 42" roof mounted, X2 Pop-N-Lock Tailgate Handle Prinsu Cab Rack Prinsu-like Shell Rack Redline Tuning Hood Struts Rigid Industries 40" Light Bar Rigid Industries Ditch Lights Rigid Industries Spotlights Toyota Bed Step UltraGauge EM Plus v1.4 Vixen Air Horns, Four-Trumpet Whole bunch of decals worth about 5HP each Yakima Road Shower, 10-gal
    How can you tell that it's screwed by looking at the pictures?

2. Jun 26, 2020 at 5:08 AM
    TacoFMS

TacoFMS Bubble bubble bubble pop

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Louisa County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Just a vehicle to take trash to the dump
    One or two things modded... Check out the build thread
    Honestly, a simple zoom in and look about.

Tactical_Panda likes this.
  3. Jun 26, 2020 at 5:22 AM
    Casper66

Casper66 grumpy ass

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Culpeper, Va.
    Vehicle:
    '15 DCSB TRD Sport 4wd super white (sold) '13 access cab SR5 4wd
    piddly stuff
    upload_2020-6-26_8-21-32.jpg

This is a safer bet and more versatile pic is without upgraded wheels and tires

TacoFMS likes this.
  4. Jun 26, 2020 at 6:35 AM
    Tactical_Panda

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    AJT Designs Shifter AJT Designs Battery Hold-Down ARB Awning 2500x2500 ARB Twin Compressor w/ Slee Offroad Mounting Bracket Avid Brush Bar Avid Step Bars Black Rock Wheels Series 997 Type 8 Circuit Breaker/Relay Panel Custom TRD Decals Bulletproof Fabricating Raptor Grill Bulletproof Fabricating Cooling Panel Bulletproof Fabricating Tow Hook Duluth Trading Company Dog Hammock Exhaust Breather Mod eBay Special 3-Gallon Air Tank Expedition Essentials TPAM EZ Down tailgate damper Flagpole Mounts, Dual Foglight Mod Front Camera Rear Camera; full time available General Grabber tires Goat Armor Hella Supertone Horns Iggy Switch Panel Icon Dynamics Stage 3 Suspension Katskin Leather Interior KickAss camp shower LED Bed Lights LED Interior Lights Midland MXT275 GMRS Two-Way Radio OEM Audio Plus Reference 500 audio upgrade Plano Cases. 42" roof mounted, X2 Pop-N-Lock Tailgate Handle Prinsu Cab Rack Prinsu-like Shell Rack Redline Tuning Hood Struts Rigid Industries 40" Light Bar Rigid Industries Ditch Lights Rigid Industries Spotlights Toyota Bed Step UltraGauge EM Plus v1.4 Vixen Air Horns, Four-Trumpet Whole bunch of decals worth about 5HP each Yakima Road Shower, 10-gal
    That's the thing. What places like this advertise is a Base model; a box on wheels. By the time you add necessities like an air vent, electrical system, kitchen, etc. the price doubles.

Casper66[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Jun 26, 2020 at 7:22 AM
    Casper66

Casper66 grumpy ass

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Culpeper, Va.
    Vehicle:
    piddly stuff
    You miss the point. Well th something like that you have a viable base to build on. We have had ours for 3 years and I am still making changes and additions as needed. This platform allows you to use it immediately then make the needed adjustments as you want to or can afford to

6. Jun 26, 2020 at 8:08 AM
    Tactical_Panda

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks. But going this route with this kind of trailer and an RTT is just one of the options I am looking it. It's all going to come down to what is affordable (on my retirement pay :p) and what works best for me. You have a cool trailer and it works for you and your wife, but it might not work the best for me.

I do appreciate your input, however.

Hafaday and Casper66[QUOTED] like this.
  7. Jun 26, 2020 at 8:40 AM
    Casper66

Casper66 grumpy ass

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Culpeper, Va.
    Vehicle:
    piddly stuff
    The trailer I posted was meant in loo of an rtt. Sadly it’s difficult to figure out what works best for your needs until you start going. I.e. already have 2 100watt solar panels on our roof. It works great but in some instances we loose sunlight so going tomorrow to get 100watt suitcase solar to add to it do we can follow the sun. It’s things like that you can’t account for until you actually go

8. Jun 26, 2020 at 12:35 PM
    TacoFMS

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Louisa County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Another thing you may not have accounted for is; have ever actually slept in an rtt? Sure there is a "mattress pad" but it isn't like an actual bed that goes in these enclosed units. Not to cast stones, but you are no spring chicken. I am not as young as I used to be either and I can tell you I definitely wake up stiff and sore when rolling out of my rtt. Not just that, but the knees don't always want to work when coming down that ladder. And God forbid I have to get up in the middle of the night to pee or get something to drink. Rest assured if I do, everyone in the campground will know because they will hear me.

Maybe you have spent several nights in a rtt... I don't know, but I do know in my experience they are definitely geared more for a younger man.

9. Jun 26, 2020 at 7:14 PM
    Casper66

Casper66 grumpy ass

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Culpeper, Va.
    Vehicle:
    piddly stuff
    @TacoFMS I'm looking at an Icon suspension lightly used mainly highway miles with some light offroading. Seems like a decent deal how many miles with that type of useage before it'll need rebuilt? If it needs a rebuild now IDK if worth it.

TacoFMS likes this.
  10. Jun 26, 2020 at 7:24 PM
    TacoFMS

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Louisa County, VA
    Vehicle:

They typically say around 30k of strict highway miles. "Around" being the key word, some squeeze a bit more, some go earlier. Any offroading obviously lowers that interval, even if it is just fire roads and stuff.

11. Jun 26, 2020 at 7:29 PM
    Casper66

Casper66 grumpy ass

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Culpeper, Va.
    Vehicle:
    piddly stuff
    Ah, that's about what I was thinking. I may hold off then. I don't need suspension right now just looking at a deal. Thanks

12. Jun 26, 2020 at 8:41 PM
    PyritePirateBill

PyritePirateBill Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Vehicle:
    2014 pyrite mica TRD Sport 4x4 AC
    OME 886 Nitrocharger lift, Dakar HD leaf pack, u-bolt flip kit, Bilstein b110 rear shocks, Wheeler's super bumps,18x9 Worx Havoc, 35/12.50/18 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, ENVE Grille with LED lightbar & raptor leds, ditch lights, nFab tire carrier, 6k hid, tinted tails, AtTheHelm bed stiffeners, SOS Concepts rear bumper, Demello baja front bumper, Smittybuilt 9.5k winch, Mobtown weld-on sliders, AllPro IFS & transm. skid, Mobtown transfer case skid, led fogs, rear-facing led pods on Rago bed brackets, led lights in rear bumper, 54" Bulldog hi-lift jack, Razorback shovel & axe on Quickfist mounts, 2 fire extinguishers, Cobra CB w/Firestik antenna, Tacomapocalypse bed bars w/ Du-Bro 6 fishing rod holders, 4 recovery boards, Yellow wire mod for 4Lo, URD y-pipe, 2.5" custom exhaust w/ Borla muffler, Viair portable air compressor, Kryptek Typhon seat covers, AJT dash knobs, and patches...too many patches
    If you do go with the "start your build with a utility trailer" idea, I may be putting mine up for sale this fall. It's 8'x6' in very good shape with 15" wheels
    20200626_111145.jpg

13. Jun 30, 2020 at 5:41 AM
    Tactical_Panda

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    OK. You guys are going to hate me. Saturday, I paid a deposit on this thing. I found it on Facebook Marketplace.

I'll be driving to Sandusky, OH to pick it up on July 12. The trailer is exactly what I was looking for. Bare bones rig at a good price and it will make an excellent platform to build my trailer. The RTT is not part of the deal, which is OK. Even my wife is excited about it and that's saying something.

Trailer.jpg

14. Jun 30, 2020 at 6:16 AM
    Greg.Brakes.Tacos

Greg.Brakes.Tacos Don't Feed the Animals

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Between Richmond and Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2017 Taco DCSB TRD off road
    wanna be mods
    Congratulations and enjoy the ride!

15. Jun 30, 2020 at 8:45 AM
    PyritePirateBill

PyritePirateBill Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    Vehicle:
    2014 pyrite mica TRD Sport 4x4 AC
    OME 886 Nitrocharger lift, Dakar HD leaf pack, u-bolt flip kit, Bilstein b110 rear shocks, Wheeler's super bumps,18x9 Worx Havoc, 35/12.50/18 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, ENVE Grille with LED lightbar & raptor leds, ditch lights, nFab tire carrier, 6k hid, tinted tails, AtTheHelm bed stiffeners, SOS Concepts rear bumper, Demello baja front bumper, Smittybuilt 9.5k winch, Mobtown weld-on sliders, AllPro IFS & transm. skid, Mobtown transfer case skid, led fogs, rear-facing led pods on Rago bed brackets, led lights in rear bumper, 54" Bulldog hi-lift jack, Razorback shovel & axe on Quickfist mounts, 2 fire extinguishers, Cobra CB w/Firestik antenna, Tacomapocalypse bed bars w/ Du-Bro 6 fishing rod holders, 4 recovery boards, Yellow wire mod for 4Lo, URD y-pipe, 2.5" custom exhaust w/ Borla muffler, Viair portable air compressor, Kryptek Typhon seat covers, AJT dash knobs, and patches...too many patches
    Hate you? Not at all! That looks like a great platform to work with to me. Lots of storage in that one!

16. Jul 1, 2020 at 8:13 PM
    FourOneThree

FourOneThree Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Vehicle:
    2001 Flatbed TRD Tacoma
    Meet this weekend Anyone?

17. Jul 3, 2020 at 12:38 PM
    Wild Crow

Wild Crow [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Anywhere is home
    Vehicle:
    2014 Baja
    I had a set of Donahoes (Icon before Icon waz Icon) on the tundra. 30,000 miles was the limit before needing a rebuild. I was putting 25000 miles per year on the tundra at the time and it sucked!

Casper66, Hafaday and TacoFMS[QUOTED] like this.
  18. Jul 12, 2020 at 2:54 PM
    Hafaday

Hafaday Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Richmond, VA.
    Vehicle:
    19, DCSB, Off Road. 23 KLX300, 14JKU
  19. Jul 12, 2020 at 3:44 PM
    TaKoToy

TaKoToy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robbie
    Prince George VA
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 OffRoad, 2020 cement DCLB OR
    Mostly stock
    How much did you pay if you dont mind me asking? I would gusset and beef up that tongue. I snapped my 2 inch square tube one and have seen others snap. Looks like a good trailer!! Gratz!!

Hafaday likes this.
  20. Jul 14, 2020 at 4:22 PM
    Tactical_Panda

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    The guy was wanting to get rid of it and was asking $3400 for it on Facebook Marketplace. I messaged him, asked a few questions then said if he'd take $3000 I would send him a deposit via PayPal right away. He accepted the offer.

Now I do want to get some mods done to it. I've been in contact with a welder over near Charlottesville who is anxious to work with me. I need some kind of a lid, and some Slider-like things in front of the wheels and some fenders.

Stay tuned.

TaKoToy[QUOTED] and Hafaday like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top