1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Because We're Not North Enough To Be NOVA, We're Just Stuck Between the North and the True South

Discussion in 'Virginia' started by Wild Crow, Sep 21, 2016.

1. May 13, 2017 at 11:23 PM
    90yota

90yota Instagram: 90_yota

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Dixon, CA/Truckee,CA
    Vehicle:
    88 T4R / 15 F350
    Stock....ish
    MD state troopers are strict in that area. Like you said though that is the flow of traffic. Living in Maryland I forgot there is even a speed limit except when I go to VA or cross over to Eastern shore. Cops are strict there too

VA SOFTACO likes this.
  2. May 14, 2017 at 6:24 AM
    buyobuyo

buyobuyo Read The Fucking Manual

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Camden, AR
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5, I4, Manual, Silver
    A thing or two...
    Haha. It was MDTA that got me. I rarely see police between the bridge and my house in VA.

90yota[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. May 14, 2017 at 3:16 PM
    Choco_Taco

Choco_Taco Sarcastic AF

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    2009 Black DCSB TRD OR
    Not trying to be negative, but will you pass a state inspection? I thought I it wasn't VA legal they would fail you, or is that a myth and they don't care about something like a window tint?

4. May 14, 2017 at 3:36 PM
    Coot83

Coot83 DORKEL NATION

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Az
    Vehicle:
    2012 Baja TX
    TC 3.5 LT, RCV axles, Demello sliders, BD light bar/fogs, LP6, DMZ rear, SOS skids, custom bumper, King 16" triples, Locked-on hydro rear bumps...
    I used to have 20 percent. Its hit or miss really, but I used to go to a guy for inspections all the time. I never messed with the front windshield though, so I will be curious to see how that goes.

5. May 14, 2017 at 6:21 PM
    buyobuyo

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Camden, AR
    Vehicle:
    A thing or two...
    Installed my Mobtown group buy sliders today. What a massive PITA that was. The only thing worse than no instructions is poorly written/bad instructions. The nut welded inside the frame on the passenger side of the carrier bearing crossmember stripped out, so I drilled it out and used a long 3/8" bolt and nut. I had to use what I could get locally, so it wasn't long enough to get a lock washer on. Not that it would have anything to compress against, except the body of the original nut. Also, there was no way to get both bolts into the L bracket because of the lack of room between the frame and cab. Maybe my cab mounts are worn out, but still a PITA. I had chop the thickness of a nut off of one of the bolts on each side to get the bolts to drop in.

Also, want to say that I am not impressed at all with the Rustoleum Professional Bedliner spray. It stays soft and doesn't harden. On my bed stiffeners that have been installed for a month or more now, it is so soft that I can scratch it off down to the primer with my fingernail. I tested out the sliders by lifting the truck with my hi-lift, and it took it down to the primer where the foot was. Also, sliding parts around to position them scraped off the coating to the primer.

The whole ordeal took 5 hours.

6. May 14, 2017 at 8:37 PM
    dapetik

dapetik Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Barboursville, Va
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport
    Magic bedcover, sweet ass floormats, rocket boosters, warp drive
    Depends on where you go and how well they adhere to the law. The one I go to really only checks the lights and tires. Not worth their time to be too nosey for $16.
    http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Safety.shtm

Then again, I'm fed up with this states greed. Gonna register my truck in Alabama and not deal with the exhorbinat taxes in VA. Imo personal property taxes are unconstitutional.

Coot83 and Casper66 like this.
  7. May 14, 2017 at 9:49 PM
    Casper66

Casper66 grumpy ass

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Culpeper, Va.
    Vehicle:
    '15 DCSB TRD Sport 4wd super white (sold) '13 access cab SR5 4wd
    piddly stuff
    Well that's a shme to have to go thrugh all that. Shame you had the problems with the bedliner. I used the roll on on my sliders and a combination or both spray and roll on with the skids and 2 days later was sliding them around on a floor jack. Do you like the sliders now they're on?

8. May 14, 2017 at 9:51 PM
    Casper66

Casper66 grumpy ass

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Culpeper, Va.
    Vehicle:
    '15 DCSB TRD Sport 4wd super white (sold) '13 access cab SR5 4wd
    piddly stuff
    I'm ok with sales tax but don't agree with personal property either

dapetik[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. May 15, 2017 at 3:13 AM
    TacoFMS

TacoFMS Bubble bubble bubble pop

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Louisa County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Just a vehicle to take trash to the dump
    One or two things modded... Check out the build thread
    Don't know how much checking you have done for alabama, but they charge the same type of fees. Just don't call them personal property taxes. Instead it's required annual registration and you get to stand in line at the courthouse for 6 to 8 hrs to pay them.

I paid just over $400 for my truck up here this past year and was consistently paying $450+ each year in AL for the same truck to get the sticker for my plates. Not to mention my insurance dropped over $80/month after moving the family up here.

I understand the repulsed feeling towards pp tax, but the inspections and many other factors make it much cheaper to drive up here. And again, AL gets there money too. They just don't come right out and call it what it actually is.

Casper66 and Coot83 like this.
  10. May 15, 2017 at 5:06 AM
    Coot83

Coot83 DORKEL NATION

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Az
    Vehicle:
    2012 Baja TX
    TC 3.5 LT, RCV axles, Demello sliders, BD light bar/fogs, LP6, DMZ rear, SOS skids, custom bumper, King 16" triples, Locked-on hydro rear bumps...
    Damn man talk about a pain in the ass of an experience. Bummer about the paint job, I got mine powder coated just because I didn't want to deal with painting them. Hopefully they wont be hard to touch up on the truck. If you had to do it over, would you have went with someone else for the sliders? I assume after the hassle of the install, they are pretty sturdy right?

11. May 15, 2017 at 6:19 AM
    Fish12South

Fish12South Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Ruther Glen, VA
    Vehicle:
    2008 Indigo Ink AC SR5 6 Speed V6
    Not Enough.
    This makes me super excited to get mine. o_O

VA SOFTACO and Coot83 like this.
  12. May 15, 2017 at 7:48 AM
    Sand_taco

Sand_taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 quicksand Trd off road
    Just putting this out there for you guys, I work for a shop called Ptuning in manssas VA, we are looking to expand our customer base and take on more 4x4 projects, if any of you guys are interested feel free to message me or quote this post!

Superman910 and Casper66 like this.
  13. May 15, 2017 at 8:10 AM
    Tactical_Panda

Tactical_Panda Armchair Anarchist

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma Double Cab, Off-Road Edition
    AJT Designs Shifter AJT Designs Battery Hold-Down ARB Awning 2500x2500 ARB Twin Compressor w/ Slee Offroad Mounting Bracket Avid Brush Bar Avid Step Bars Black Rock Wheels Series 997 Type 8 Circuit Breaker/Relay Panel Custom TRD Decals Bulletproof Fabricating Raptor Grill Bulletproof Fabricating Cooling Panel Bulletproof Fabricating Tow Hook Duluth Trading Company Dog Hammock Exhaust Breather Mod eBay Special 3-Gallon Air Tank Expedition Essentials TPAM EZ Down tailgate damper Flagpole Mounts, Dual Foglight Mod Front Camera Rear Camera; full time available General Grabber tires Goat Armor Hella Supertone Horns Iggy Switch Panel Icon Dynamics Stage 3 Suspension Katskin Leather Interior KickAss camp shower LED Bed Lights LED Interior Lights Midland MXT275 GMRS Two-Way Radio OEM Audio Plus Reference 500 audio upgrade Plano Cases. 42" roof mounted, X2 Pop-N-Lock Tailgate Handle Prinsu Cab Rack Prinsu-like Shell Rack Redline Tuning Hood Struts Rigid Industries 40" Light Bar Rigid Industries Ditch Lights Rigid Industries Spotlights Toyota Bed Step UltraGauge EM Plus v1.4 Vixen Air Horns, Four-Trumpet Whole bunch of decals worth about 5HP each Yakima Road Shower, 10-gal
    I'm back from my trip to San Antonio. What did I miss?

Choco_Taco and Casper66 like this.
  14. May 15, 2017 at 8:11 AM
    buyobuyo

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Camden, AR
    Vehicle:
    A thing or two...
    They look good. I have to relearn how to get out of the truck. The back of my legs hit/rub on the sliders, which is annoying.

I skipped powdercoat because I was being cheap. Also, I read a number of posts about the Rustoleum being good stuff. The paint job cost about half of what powdercoat cost. If I did it again, I would spring for the powdercoat. I would most likely stick with Mobtown, but I would have them do the install. Maybe go for the weld-on instead of the bolt-on, but the GB was bolt-on only.

They seem pretty sturdy. I lifted the truck by the passenger side slider and got both wheels off the ground. Getting the truck back down was a chore. My hi-lift has been riding in the back of the truck since 2011/12 withoutbeing used, so it took some fenagaling to get the jack to start lowering.

Haha. Well...if you have issues I might be able to help. One thing I forgot to mention is that I didn't install the "beam clamps". My frame is flat where they bolt to the sliders, so there's nothing for them to clamp onto. I thought maybe they were just supposed to pinch down onto the frame, but they don't even touch the frame.

15. May 15, 2017 at 8:26 AM
    Coot83

Coot83 DORKEL NATION

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Az
    Vehicle:
    2012 Baja TX
    Well damn man is the "I-beam" support the big deal with their bolt on application? I would think if anything, that is the one component you would want on there. If you were to modify it could you even use the beam clamp or is it not useable at all? Im surprised that they wouldn't of fit.

16. May 15, 2017 at 9:04 AM
    buyobuyo

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Camden, AR
    Vehicle:
    A thing or two...
    Yeah. I think the beam clamps and the pseudo boxing of the frame are the big deal. There's an L bracket and C shaped piece that all bolt together and fully surrounds the frame. That's where I had hell getting the bolts in and had to cut them down.

Basically you have the arm at the front that bolts to the transmission crossmember with a couple of 3/8 bolts, the L/C bracket 'boxing' the frame about halfway down the sliders, and the beam clamps at the end. Then 4 more 3/8 bolts with big washers made from steel plate that go through the slider mounting flange and frame.

On the driver side, you unclip the rear brake hardlines from the frame where the L/C bracket are. You can't reattach them because of the bolts and big washers. If you could reattach them, they would rub on the nuts/bolts. Which is a little disconcerting. On the driver side there's a bracket holding the wire harness running back to the bed. The directions made it sound like you would bolt it back on, but there was no way it was going back on mine.

Coot83[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. May 15, 2017 at 9:06 AM
    Coot83

Coot83 DORKEL NATION

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Az
    Vehicle:
    2012 Baja TX
    Ah got ya, so you got atleast one beam on then right? Yea the brake hardlines can def be a pain in the ass. I had to slightly move mine for my sliders. But they worked out ok.

18. May 15, 2017 at 9:11 AM
    buyobuyo

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Camden, AR
    Vehicle:
    A thing or two...
    All the bolts are in except for the beam clamps. There's two for each side.

19. May 15, 2017 at 9:20 AM
    Coot83

Coot83 DORKEL NATION

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Az
    Vehicle:
    2012 Baja TX
    Bummer so ALL four arnt installed?

20. May 15, 2017 at 9:31 AM
    buyobuyo

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Camden, AR
    Vehicle:
    A thing or two...
    Yep. I could have bolted them in, but they wouldn't be doing anything other than filling holes.

Coot83[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top