1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Becoming an officer?

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by krimson, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Feb 26, 2010 at 12:38 PM
    rettpr

rettpr Active Member

Member:
    Tx
    Vehicle:
    10 AC 4X4
    I can only tell you about my own experience when I applied for my states police academy. I had 4 years military and a BBA. I was also very close to the maximum age limit that was in effect in those days and I was hired the first go around (many have to reapply and reapply before they're ever accepted) so I believe my military service and bachelors degree helped considerably.

Also, as a suggestion, I would not major in criminal justice in college, major in something else you're interested in just in case you can't pass some of the qualifications i.e., psyc, physical etc. That way if you can't get into police work, you have something to fall back on. Maybe minor in criminal justice or take a class or two. Good luck!

2. Feb 26, 2010 at 12:43 PM
    SteelRain

SteelRain Veteran Redleg

Member:
    First Name:
    Curt
    San Tan Valley, Arizona
    The Military definitely helped me in the hiring process. I was given preference points through out. It also made the Academy easier due to the structure and discipline. Now that I've been a cop for 9 years, I see a difference (FOR THE MOST PART) in officers/deputies that have previous Military experience and those that do not. Chain of Command is important and I believe the Military helps you understand this.

3. Feb 28, 2010 at 1:56 AM
    1 big skeeter

1 big skeeter Active Member

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    '10 DC LB 4X4
    Silverback,

1st off....Thanks for your service!!

I've been "on the job" 27 years now and counting; all on the street in patrol although I've been SWAT for 18yrs., K-9 7yrs, Dive Team, K-9, Motors yada yada yada... Patrol is my "niche" though. YOU can make things happen out here on the street.

10 years before that as a full time fireman.

LEO has been a rewarding career, one that I would do again in a heartbeat. Helping people through public service by catching crooks is a real charge! Certainly wear a BUNCH of different hats!

But, Police Work isn't for everyone. Laws change with each legislative session, policies and procedures are different with each agency, and there are many headaches to deal with including politics within the department, shift, etc.

You can work toward different assignments in LEO work; SWAT, K-9, Dive Team, Motor Officer, Bicycle patrol, detective, supervisory positions, the list goes on and on depending on the size of the agency. Each day is different and you can be just about as busy as you choose to be.

I see you're in Austin.

Here in Texas, your military service will count and may replace years of college. A college degree is an excellent thing to have regardless of the career path you choose or end up in. It's a smart investment in YOURSELF!

As others have said, I would not go the criminal justice degree route because it really does limit your options.

If you're interested in applying with and working for Austin PD, http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/police/recruiting/ call them and ask to speak with a recruiter. He can certainly fill you in on their requirements and how much ahead of other recruits you might already be considering your service. You can also talk to TCLEOSE http://www.tcleose.state.tx.us/ direct to ascertain how much credit Military Service is given by the State.

In Texas, you MUST be 21 by the time you finish the LEO certification course. Larger agencies, ie Houston, Austin, Dallas, Ft Worth, etc, will have their own academies unless you have the time and money to put yourself through one.

I have buddies that work with Austin PD and Travis County SO. They both enjoy the work and are BUSY all the time.

Hope this helps!

In any case, MANY THANKS again for your service, best regards, and GOOD LUCK!!

Skeeter

4. Feb 28, 2010 at 2:30 AM
    kanelakos

kanelakos Well-Known Member

Member:
    Binghamton, NY
    Vehicle:
    16 DC LB Sport

If you think your age is the reason people are a dick to you, then dont show it. For what its worth, I laughed when he called you an 18 yr old kid when hes only 20. To Krimson.... thank you for your service! :thumbsup:

To Top