1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bed Bars- Rack for Truck Bed

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by JLink, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Oct 3, 2010 at 3:33 PM
    JLink

JLink [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    Lifted, Locked, Armored. Ready To Wheel.
    I wanted to build a set of racks to sit just above the top of the sides of the bed so I could put my Thule cargo box on it to make it way easier than having it on top of the roof.

It started out pretty easy. I got 2" angle iron and cut it to 4" lengths. then I got some bolts and used a washer up against the head of the bolt to attach the angle iron to the tracks on the sides of the bed.

Then I got some 1" or 1 1/2" black iron pipe and cut it to 5ft lengths. I then drilled some holes in the top of the angle iron and used U bolts to attach the pipe to the angle iron.

[​IMG]

It worked great and didnt cost all that much. Really solid.. the ends of the bars sat on the top of the bed sides so it added alot of strength to it. All the weight didnt have to be supported by the angle iron.

However.. a week later I bought my UWS Low Profile Black Series Tool Box and it sticks up higher than the bars did, there fore I wasnt able to use the bars to carry my cargo box.

So then I had to completely re-do my whole idea. I figured out how high I needed to have my bars so that the box would clear the tool box. I then checked out some of the products Thule offers and ended up buying a "tracker fit kit", a "tracker foot pack", a set of "72 inch Load Bars", and a set of "4 Locking Cylinders".

I then bolted the fit kits to my existing angle iron mounts.
    [​IMG]

The Tracker Kits just pop on and off of the fit kits, making it super easy to install and remove.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I can now put my bars on in a matter of minutes, then put my cargo box on and have it clear my tool box and the tail gate. It doesnt even touch them so theres no rubbing or anything.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Oct 3, 2010 at 3:44 PM
    Nightstr

Nightstr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Felipe
    Sacramento CA
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner sr5
    BLHM BLWM 3" TOUGH COUNTRY LIFT TRD SEAT COVERS THULE RACK M/T KM2 265/65/16
    I like!!

3. Oct 3, 2010 at 6:04 PM
    snorola

snorola Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Canmore Alberta
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Dbl Cab
    SAW 2.0 Coilovers Eibach 14" 650lb springs Camburg UCA's All pro expo springs OME rear shocks All pro front bumper All pro IFS skid All pro sliders SCS f5 matt black rims Lightforce blitz 240's
    cool.... how do you open your tool box though :)

4. Oct 4, 2010 at 3:39 AM
    JLink

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    yea that is the one down side to it.. I can not open my tool box while the cargo box is on there, but if i needed to for an emergency (thats where i keep a shovel and recovery straps) i could get someone to help me lift the cargo box off by lifting the bars

5. Oct 4, 2010 at 6:33 AM
    Veccster

Veccster bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pittsburgh - The City of Champions
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    Very cool idea.

I would love to find a solution that would allow me to put a rack ABOVE my soft tonneau cover. For vacation, I load my bed to the rim and put the cover over it all to keep it dry. It would be great if I could load toys, chairs and other gear on top of the tonneau.

Any options out there for this?

Your Thule rack is close but it would still not allow me to have the tonneau down.

6. Oct 4, 2010 at 7:04 AM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    Me too! The option I was thinking of is mounting the landing pads to the rail caps.

7. Oct 4, 2010 at 7:15 AM
    mach1man001

mach1man001 eh whatever

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Blackstone, MA
    Vehicle:
    '09 Sport DCLB Met Grey
    Toyota bed mat (1st mod), Toyota all season floor mats, Rear spring TSB, Map light mod, Fog light mod, Putco yellow fog bulbs, Weather Tech window vents, Extra d-rings, Mounted mag light, TRD CAI with AFE pro dry filter, '05 front mud flaps (winter only), 2 set's of wheels/tires, 285/75/16 Hankook MT's, Black Painted 1st Gen TRD wheels (wheeling set) Black powder coated FJ Cruiser with 265/70/17 BFGoodrich KO2's (everyday), painted center of grill & bumper black, Devil horns, OME with 885's + spacers front, OME shocks w/OMD designed rear springs, Front diff drop, Rear trailer plug relocate, ATO IFS skid, Relentless Trans & Transfer skids, BAMF bolt on rock sliders, Relentless tailgate reinforcement, Uniden 75 CB radio, BAMF antenna bracket, TRD exhaust, high lift jack w/ATO mounts. And of course ProEFX Towing Mirrors!

I saw someone with the exact set up that you are describing on the highway a month ago. I did take a pic of it one my phone but I cant figure out how to send the pic to my computer. It looks like a Thule rack and maybe a special tonneau cover to fit. Sorry not much help.

Edit; I figured it out.

[​IMG]

8. Oct 5, 2010 at 3:44 AM
    JLink

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    to do that you need to find a tonneau cover that is narrow enough to mount on just the first inch or so of the side rail, and bolt the fit kits to the top of the side rail instead of angle iron like me. I dont have a cover for my bed, but i know some of them that velcro down instead of using snaps might be a little more narrow as well as give a little wiggle room. Too bad we dont know what kind of cover that guy was using.

thanks for posting that pic though.. thats really cool

9. Oct 5, 2010 at 6:11 AM
    Veccster

Veccster bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pittsburgh - The City of Champions
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    Not sure it could be done using the side rails inside the bed. If there was a way to use the tops of the bed sides (plastic caps), it might work. I have a velcro tonneau...

IMG_4929_488b770c8c82f4ff7fbbc6303f52ed650e7c4ce7.jpg

IMG_4858_ec6d353b1eb7cf169e984c3a9127fdbd9c02f1fd.jpg

Sorry about the thread-jacking.

10. Oct 5, 2010 at 7:59 AM
    mach1man001

mach1man001 eh whatever

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Blackstone, MA
    Vehicle:
    '09 Sport DCLB Met Grey
    Toyota bed mat (1st mod), Toyota all season floor mats, Rear spring TSB, Map light mod, Fog light mod, Putco yellow fog bulbs, Weather Tech window vents, Extra d-rings, Mounted mag light, TRD CAI with AFE pro dry filter, '05 front mud flaps (winter only), 2 set's of wheels/tires, 285/75/16 Hankook MT's, Black Painted 1st Gen TRD wheels (wheeling set) Black powder coated FJ Cruiser with 265/70/17 BFGoodrich KO2's (everyday), painted center of grill & bumper black, Devil horns, OME with 885's + spacers front, OME shocks w/OMD designed rear springs, Front diff drop, Rear trailer plug relocate, ATO IFS skid, Relentless Trans & Transfer skids, BAMF bolt on rock sliders, Relentless tailgate reinforcement, Uniden 75 CB radio, BAMF antenna bracket, TRD exhaust, high lift jack w/ATO mounts. And of course ProEFX Towing Mirrors!
  11. Oct 5, 2010 at 8:18 AM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
  12. Oct 5, 2010 at 8:52 AM
    kauaibuilt

kauaibuilt U no kea but AINOFEA!

Member:
    LA/SGV
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB
    Check out my sig...
    When I get the chance I'm gonna check out Yakima landing pads # 2, 3, 6, and 7. 2 and 3 have angled adapters for factor roof top rails and the pics make it look like it may fit into our rails...might need a little modding.

6 and 7 are permanent foot packs. 6 requires access under the bed rails to use a screw and nut to hold down the foot pack. 7 is permanent and just requires a hole to be drilled. You insert a T-nut looking thing that secures the foot.

Heres a question.... Has anyone talked to DO to make their bed bars w/ different tubing so a rack will fit? I dont see a real reason requiring 1.5" OD tubing. Even @ $120 this would be the cheapest option. The only thing I would worry about would be security since I dont see a way to lock it down.

13. Oct 5, 2010 at 3:25 PM
    mach1man001

mach1man001 eh whatever

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Blackstone, MA
    Vehicle:
    '09 Sport DCLB Met Grey
    ^^^ I hear what your saying about the OD on the Bed Bars that everyone offers. However you might be getting a little off topic, the OP wants to know what bars are available and still be able to use the tonneau cover.

14. Oct 5, 2010 at 4:11 PM
    kauaibuilt

Member:
    LA/SGV
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB
    Check out my sig...
    Naw, that was someone else's question. OP just wanted to show his idea and later asked about a mod to his mod so he could open his tool box w/ rack and box attached.

15. Oct 5, 2010 at 4:25 PM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    looks good.
    i also the the name "the big nig" hahahahahahah

16. Oct 5, 2010 at 4:50 PM
    mach1man001

mach1man001 eh whatever

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Blackstone, MA
    Vehicle:
    '09 Sport DCLB Met Grey

Sorry my bad. I was the one off topic.:eek:

17. Oct 5, 2010 at 4:59 PM
    slick_711

slick_711 Well-Known Member

Member:
    DFW, TX
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD Off Road
    Avid light bar w/2x Hella 4000C, Bilstein 5100s, Demello sliders
    That looks really sturdy and well done OP. I may have to look into that bar mount setup in the future. I've gotta say, I don't understand using it to mount a dry cargo box rather than just putting a bed cover on and using the whole bed for dry cargo storage, but it does look clean.

18. Oct 5, 2010 at 5:09 PM
    kauaibuilt

Member:
    LA/SGV
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB
    Check out my sig...
    Naw dood. I got a newborn at home and been tired so I thought I was wrong and went back to double check.... No biggie...

19. Oct 6, 2010 at 3:48 AM
    JLink

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    Thanks. And you're right.. I could use the whole bed for storage, but I dont like tonneau covers. I had one on my last truck and never felt safe using it for storage, and theres not way I could use a hard cover.. I need my truck to be used as a truck too often. Also I dont know of any tonneau covers that can be used with a tool box, and I already had my Thule cargo box and just wanted to be able to mount it a little lower for putting snowboards in it. It's also nice for transporting other things that would be a bitch to lift all the way to the roof.

but thanks guys I appreciate the input.

Yea I think you should be able to do that very easily.. especially if you go to a yakima retailer and take a look at a couple of the landing pads in person.

Thats a great picture of the cover.. I always wondered if they would mount like that or on top of the side rails. Its good to know that you still have the tops of the side rails available for bolting onto for a rack.

20. Oct 6, 2010 at 1:50 PM
    kauaibuilt

Member:
    LA/SGV
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB
    Check out my sig...
    Checked out the Yakima Landing Pad #4 which could work as well but.... The landing pad would have to be mounted laterally and the tower would have to be vertical to the pad. Theres no way it could work. You would have to trim out a bunch of the landing pad so the tower could rotate 90 deg and I dont see it being very sturdy after all that. Didnt have a chance to check out #6 or 7 but based on the install instructions they could work BUT would be permanent installs w/o the ability to move them fore/aft w/o drilling new holes.

Products Discussed in

To Top