1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bed Cleat Security

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Pster, May 23, 2009.

1. May 24, 2009 at 6:11 AM
    brian

brian Another Traitor

Member:
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 F-250 Powerstroke
    Sounds like a good case against pop-n-lock if you ask me. We'll see when I get mine. I'm in on the group buy with dgerm, gettin the motorized one so it works with the door unlocks.

2. May 24, 2009 at 7:22 AM
    SaltySteve

SaltySteve Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2012 4runner
    Are there any other alternatives that provide more security?

3. May 24, 2009 at 7:36 AM
    Pster

Pster [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts
    Not sure...I haven't found any. The locks work by turning a cam which pushs out two rods - one to the left and one to the right - which insert into the bed to "lock" the tailgate. (Most door handles now use cables instead of rods). The electric versions of the Pop N Lock could provide more security, I'm not familiar with them. When I installed mine, I was just very under impressed with the frailty of the tailgate locking system. I am betting a blank key inserted into the lock and turned hard will "Pop" the "Pop" N lock open.

4. May 24, 2009 at 7:45 AM
    plmber58

plmber58 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    California
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner sr5 package Pyrite Mica color
    BLU Logic, Ipod interface, storage lock box for existing storage area, debadged, new color grill, wet okole seat covers, coming a Kenwood DNX6140 radio head unit, and a Protecta bed mat
    I bought a tuffy security box and keep all my cleats and tie downs in there. I do not think anyone can get to them easily

5. May 24, 2009 at 7:47 AM
    Pster

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts
    I think rather than a handle that you pull up on (like the Pop N Lock), a left-right lever on the exterior that could have some type of rubber padlock put on it would be a much, much more secure alternative. It might not look as good, but knowing how this system works, I think it would be much more difficult to defeat.

"Locks only keep honest people honest and makes thieves more inventive".

6. May 24, 2009 at 8:16 AM
    SaltySteve

SaltySteve Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2012 4runner
    Hmmm. It'd be pretty cool to get an old/extra tailgate to take apart and see if we could come up with a more secure, all metal latch. It can't be that hard really.

7. May 24, 2009 at 8:35 AM
    Pster

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Agree. It is not a particularly complex mechanism. Just need some way to throw the tow rods in and out. As I recall, the way it's made, one of those oversize blank keys rammed into the keyhold would likely turn the entire internal mechanism.....voila! Pop N Pop!

8. May 24, 2009 at 9:34 AM
    Plain Jane Taco

Plain Jane Taco ALL human beings deserve equal treatment

Member:
    USA
    I went with this route. I know it's not going to stop someone who really wants them. But if that extra step to get them deters even just one person, then it's worth it. Took 5 mins to do this little mod....so why not?

9. May 24, 2009 at 9:56 AM
    Pster

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Totally agree. I did it too.....easy, easy.

10. May 27, 2009 at 1:17 AM
    powerban

powerban Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner DC LB Sport
    Just curious guys, when you bought your tacomas brand new, do they already come with cleats? or did you have to deal those in? Are they supposed to be included with the truck?

11. May 27, 2009 at 3:47 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Either that or the weak ass tailgate would bend. lol. BTW, not sure I'd run around saying this phrase anywhere else. Borderline MRV & it won't impress the chicks. I kid, I kid.

I scored extra cleats but keep all 9 in the garage until I need them. Backups FTW!

12. May 27, 2009 at 4:18 AM
    StandingCow

StandingCow Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4x4 V6 access cab
    I didn't even think of the cleats.. I better put them in the cab soon as I get a chance.

13. May 27, 2009 at 4:52 AM
    Pster

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Yes, mine came with 4. I bought 2 more for the front of the bed.

Products Discussed in

To Top