1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bed Cover that is easy to install and remove

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by mountainprimat2, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Dec 6, 2010 at 9:23 PM
    mountainprimat2

mountainprimat2 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stefan
    Proctorsville, VT
    Vehicle:
    09 DC TRD Off-Road 6spd man
    Eibach Pro 2.5 CoilOvers(Front), Icon RXT 2.5 (Rears), Toytec Bumps, ICON RXT Multi-Rate Leaf Spring, Icon UCAs, Toytec Carrier Bearing drop, Toytec Front Diff drop, 33inch BFG KO2s on 17'' American Racing Wheels, TRD Cat-Back Exhaust, TRD CAI, Grillcraft Grilles(U/L), MOT's Badge Grille Mod (Red), Black Bed Lined Rear Bumper, Bushwacker Pocket Style Fender Flares, OEM Roof Rack, Husky Floor Liners, TRD 6spd Shifter Knob, Cobra CB w/ Firestick II, Interior LED Map(RED)/Dome(WHITE) Lights, LED Licence Plate Lights, LED Amber Fogs, Plasti Dip Badges, Trailer Harness Relocate, Thule Tail Gate Pad + Bed Rack, LEER Bed Cap
    So I'm in the market for a bed cover that can be easily installed and removed based on the seasons. The Vermont snow needs to stay out of the bed, while I need to be able to hang my surfboard and bike off the back of the tail gate in the summer. Any suggestions and product ideas that would suit my needs?

Thanks

2. Dec 6, 2010 at 9:27 PM
    stunt man hans

stunt man hans DISPLACED VIKING LIVING IN WYOMING

Member:
    First Name:
    Hans
    LIVE FREE OR DIE
    Vehicle:
    2015 AEV RAM 3500
    FULL AEV PROSPECTOR KIT++
    undercover.

3. Dec 6, 2010 at 10:04 PM
    PreRunnerSeth

PreRunnerSeth Well-Known Member

Member:
    Apex, NC
    Vehicle:
    16 Super White Limited 4x4
    My top deck is a snap to remove, but does require two people. A soft cover will be the easiest to store though. I prefer the hard cover for the security.

4. Dec 7, 2010 at 9:22 AM
    MMOCGuy

MMOCGuy Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Norm
    N. California
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4wd
    I have an Extang Full Tilt on both of my pickups and I love it. The bed can be accessed in 3 ways.

The cover can be lifted (It is supported on struts) to load/unload the bed if the cargo is low enough to be covered by the tonneau when in motion.

The tonneau can be unsnapped and rolled forward to allow the bows and rear cross rail to be easily removed giving full access to the bed for bigger loads.

The entire cover can be removed/installed in tact by one person in about 30 seconds.

I have had one on my 2009 Tacoma Access Cab for about a year. I use the truck for everything including towing a travel trailer. The cover holds up well and has not stretched. I also have a 1966 Chevy 1/2ton show truck and I have an Extang Full Tilt on it.

The only downside is that the cover comes disassembled and it takes a bit of time to assemble everything properly. The instructions are good and easy to follow except for attaching the tonneau to the front rail. That is a bit tricky and I screwed up on both of mine until I finally figured it out (With my wife's help !!). The entire front of the tonneau fits into the grove on the front rail and, once you get that figured out, it slides in very easily.

Here is a link:
    http://extang.com/docs/fulltilt.html

If I ever change pickups, I would definitely use another Extang Full Tilt on it. Also, Extang customer service is great to work with.

Hope this helps.

Norm.

5. Dec 7, 2010 at 9:38 AM
    nyfishhunter

nyfishhunter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    White Plains, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC 4x4 OR Pyrite
    Weathertechs, Pop N Lock, Whitetail Sockmonkey, OEM bed mat, Undercover SE, Wet Okoles, OEM iPod interface, Rear Spring TSB, Illuminated 4x4 switch, DTRL, Timbrens, 5100s (front .85), Eibachs, 1.5 AAL, OEM running boards, FJ TRD center caps, diff breather mod, trimmed front flaps, ImMrYo mirror bracket, Grillcraft, painted white Sport grill black
    2nd vote for Undercover

6. Dec 7, 2010 at 9:40 AM
    Veccster

Veccster bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pittsburgh - The City of Champions
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    Do you want soft or hard?

I have the Access Roll-up cover and it is permenately installed. But I can roll or unroll it in about 5 seconds flat. It stays unrolled all winter long to keep the snow out of my bed - and I keep my snowboard and gear underneath. In the summer, it usually stays rolled up because I haul my dirtbike a lot. Paid $340.

There is a cover under there somewhere...
    IMG_7173_32db2bf6263a09636b338baed0d05b09cf3ae61e.jpg

Rolled up...
    IMG_5049_7849893cbbe2c6b6b1f2d12c44012dfb4a07e5d6.jpg

7. Dec 7, 2010 at 9:47 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I bought the cheap Lund peel n seal from Autoanything and was very happy with it (just sold it cause I bought a shell). It was $225 new, rolls up quickly and supports the weight of snow without any issues (I'm also in NE). The undercovers are nice if its in your budget, just giving you a cheaper alternative that's still very functional.

8. Dec 7, 2010 at 9:48 AM
    chacotaco

chacotaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Albuquerque & Palo Alto
    Vehicle:
    2011 SSM TRD SPORT DCLB
    Black Snugtop XtraVision Sleep Deck.
    I had an Extang Trifecta that was awesome. Countless numbers of times I have removed it, left it in someones house, helped them haul something large, and then thrown it back on.

9. Dec 7, 2010 at 10:02 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    I have an Extang soft trifold too ^^^
    It goes on and off the truck bed very easily by folding up or unfolding.
    Attaches to 4 mounting pts. that slide into the factory side rail thingys.
    It was the first mod bought and has lasted through many VT snowstorms over the last 3+ yrs.
    Keeps stuff in the bed dry & will fold up even on the coldest of days.
    I would buy another one.
    Just so you know though, my trifold does not look as good as say the Access roll up covers because of the hinge mechanisms. The cover sits on the bed rails & its side appear a little bumpy. This doesn't make the cover leak or anything but wanted to let you know that.
    I do not mind the look, its function works & I can lift & take it off the truck myself which was impt for me.

10. Dec 8, 2010 at 6:40 PM
    jaw154

jaw154 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Quicksand TRD Off road
    Soon...
    Hey i am in the market for a cover, How water tight is that?

11. Dec 8, 2010 at 6:43 PM
    jjw1

jjw1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Citrus County Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 Super White DCSB TRD OR PreRunner
    Weather Tech Floor Liners, Truxedo Bed Cover, OEM Silver Step Bars, Debadged, Colormatched Satoshi, Wet Okoles, OEM Roof Rack, Bed Mat, Locking Gas Cap, and removed Mud Flaps
    undercover

12. Dec 9, 2010 at 5:38 AM
    Bama_TACO

Bama_TACO ROLL TIDE!!!!!!!

Member:
    Winfield, AL
    Vehicle:
    2006 PreRunner Double Cab TRD SPORT
    I've got the Armor Lid. Same design as the undercover but cheaper. I can take it off in a couple of minutes, it is light enough to lift, but too big to handle by yourself. I've done it by myself once, but I won't do it again.

13. Dec 9, 2010 at 7:14 AM
    Veccster

Veccster bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    It's pretty watertight but not perfect. Only during really hard rains while driving do I see a trickle of water down the bed. But it's usually only a drop or two and stays between the ridges that run down the bed. We use the truck on vacation trips and put our suitcases and food back there. I've never had a problem.

I'm also not sure I have the seal correctly installed on the front rail. Water hasn't been an issue so I don't see the need to fiddle with it.

Having only ever had this cover...I have to say that I am EXTREMELY satisfied. I can still use my rails and it looks very clean. I can roll or unroll in under 5 seconds.

14. Dec 10, 2010 at 11:34 AM
    mountainprimat2

mountainprimat2 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stefan
    Proctorsville, VT
    Vehicle:
    09 DC TRD Off-Road 6spd man
    Eibach Pro 2.5 CoilOvers(Front), Icon RXT 2.5 (Rears), Toytec Bumps, ICON RXT Multi-Rate Leaf Spring, Icon UCAs, Toytec Carrier Bearing drop, Toytec Front Diff drop, 33inch BFG KO2s on 17'' American Racing Wheels, TRD Cat-Back Exhaust, TRD CAI, Grillcraft Grilles(U/L), MOT's Badge Grille Mod (Red), Black Bed Lined Rear Bumper, Bushwacker Pocket Style Fender Flares, OEM Roof Rack, Husky Floor Liners, TRD 6spd Shifter Knob, Cobra CB w/ Firestick II, Interior LED Map(RED)/Dome(WHITE) Lights, LED Licence Plate Lights, LED Amber Fogs, Plasti Dip Badges, Trailer Harness Relocate, Thule Tail Gate Pad + Bed Rack, LEER Bed Cap
    Thanks everyone......just ordered the BAK Bakflip G2.....stoked that the snow will finally stay out of unwanted places and where is is supposed to be......on the mountain!!!! Keep everyone posted as to its install and performance. Happy Shredding

15. Dec 16, 2010 at 12:37 PM
    Firenailer

Firenailer Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Has anyone tried the Extang Trifecta with the Canvas Tarp yet and how does it look and work? Any improvement over the vinyl?

16. Jan 24, 2011 at 5:51 AM
    insulator08

insulator08 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    gener
    pa
    Vehicle:
    speedway blue 09 trd off-road
    trd cat-back exhaust
    undercover, have it and really like

17. Jan 24, 2011 at 6:10 AM
    maestroz2

maestroz2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Erie, PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 DoubleCab Pyrite Mica TRD Sport SB
    TRD Skid Plate, Toyota Bed Mat, WeatherTech window visors, WeatherTech Floor mats, Access LE Bed Cover, Rocky Mounts Bike mounts, Astrostart 2-way Remote Start, TRD bronze beadlock wheels, Factory roof rack.
    Is second the Access Roll up cover. I have the LE version

In the winter I keep it closed and i keep all my snowboard gear in it and in the summer i usually keep it open for bikes.

Nice thing is i have the rocky mounts for my mountain/road bikes and you can still use them with the cover rolled up.

18. Jan 24, 2011 at 11:49 AM
    Veccster

Veccster bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    What are the rocky mounts?

I had to design a spacer that I put at the head of my bed. It prevents my dirt bike wheel from crushing the rolled up Access Cover. It works well and I am rather surprised by my ingenuity! It also spreads the pressure across the whole front instead of at the point of contact.

19. Mar 7, 2011 at 10:18 AM
    maestroz2

maestroz2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Erie, PA
    Vehicle:
    2010 DoubleCab Pyrite Mica TRD Sport SB
    TRD Skid Plate, Toyota Bed Mat, WeatherTech window visors, WeatherTech Floor mats, Access LE Bed Cover, Rocky Mounts Bike mounts, Astrostart 2-way Remote Start, TRD bronze beadlock wheels, Factory roof rack.
    when carrying pedal bikes you can take the front wheels off and bolt them to the rocky mounts which mount in the bed channels.

This keeps the bikes upright so you do not mess up shifters/gears and also secures them so bikes dont roll around.

They also lock which is a nice feature.

search them youll see.

20. Mar 7, 2011 at 10:30 AM
    pudge151

pudge151 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Platinum
    i would get a soft roll or or trifold. a hard cover is heavy and you wont be able to get it on/off without help

Products Discussed in

To Top