1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bed exit Borla exhaust! '01 3.4 ext cab

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by NightProwler, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Apr 30, 2015 at 2:36 PM
    Boosted TRD

Boosted TRD your what hurts!?!?!?

Member:
    First Name:
    Zeb
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    00 TRD SR5 4x4 5-spd supercharged, Cantilever L/T.
    TRD Supercharger, URD 7th injector, 2.2" S/C pulley, light weight crank pulley, CAI, CB exhaust, Camburg Mid-Travel front, LSK Cantilever L/T rear
    It looks great but she is quiet!!! haha. I'd like to do a side exit like that with the tone & volume I have now, well maybe I'd go with the 18"x4" magnaflow instead of the 14"x4" that I have now.

Nice job on a custom exhaust done right!

2. Apr 30, 2015 at 2:50 PM
    NightProwler

NightProwler [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    '01 Prerunner, '03 cbr600rr, '09 R1, '03 cbr954rr
    Thanks man!

I'm LOVIN IT!!:D

I thought she was a little too quiet too. Maybe she'll open up a little more after she breaks in? idk how that works.. But the more I think about it and hear it, I think it may be perfect. I originally wanted a silent exhaust to begin with. But going with a high flow cat and whatnot, I thought itd be obnoxious. Thus why I added the resonator. I can't even hear it on the freeway at higher speeds. Nor at idle. I hear it a bit at startup and when I take off, and cruising I can hear it in cab just a tiny bit. I really do think its perfect for me. On a side note, doesnt seem like i gained any performance boost. Which is kinda odd. I coulda swore my cats were clogged. My cel was on for a long time and I had installed the sim. Afterwards I reset the ecu, disconnected the 02 sim. The cel has not came back on either. I'm wondering if its my air filter being a wrong size, or even perhaps a bad MAF. Idk I'll be looking into that soon. Because she seems pretty gutless. And I know 33's affect it, but not that much. Seems like she's choked up a bit...

Anyways, I took an in cab vid too, uploading now.

3. Apr 30, 2015 at 3:13 PM
    NightProwler

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    In cab vid and closeup outside.

Seems like the exhaust mightve shifted a hair. The tip isnt perfectly center like it was but oh well, no biggie. As long as it doesnt shift again and start rattling on the bed:O
    https://youtu.be/yzJbRzWkyz8

4. Apr 30, 2015 at 3:25 PM
    NightProwler

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    Oh geez. Sounds like crap on my phone.. I was listening on my surround sound with a bit of bass and it sounds MUCH MUCH better, if you got that... Can really hear the tone with some bass. Can't hear it at all on my phone. Ha. But it isn't that deep anyways...

5. Apr 30, 2015 at 4:38 PM
    NightProwler

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    Just got a cel. System too lean.....

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  6. May 5, 2015 at 6:36 PM
    NightProwler

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    Guess it was a fluke. Hasn't came back on after reset and is runnin purdy good:) I'm still looking into my power loss. But drove quite a long distance today and she was driving better. Bit more power up top now. I can feel it on the butt dyno:D. May try swapping out my air filter to see if its being restricive. Seeing as it's not meant to fit my application (Volant CAI).. Uploading a couple more vids now. Will post when done:)

7. May 5, 2015 at 6:41 PM
    GreeGunc

GreeGunc Full of regret

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    North GA
    Vehicle:
    1st gen 3rz+18' inferno OR 6spd
    2lo mod. PIAA 510s. Green Floor Lights. Green dash swap. Axle dump exhaust. Husky floor mats. Moto metal mo970's. Shrockworks. Sundown sa-8. 9.5xrc. Kings
    Sounds awesome buddy.

8. May 5, 2015 at 6:54 PM
    NightProwler

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    She IS kinda really quiet. But I love it. Not too loud. And silent when idling like I wanted. With a nice little growl to her when cruising/accelerating. Definitely sounds nice when rpms are high. But not likely I'll ever be racing her this hard again, Ha. I think w/o the resonator it'd be a tad too loud for me. I think it's just perfect:D Just kinda hard to capture it on film. So when you listen, put some headphones/plugs on. Or your surround with a bit of bass to hear the tone it produces. Can't really hear it when I watch it on my phone...

In cab vid:
    0:00-1:05 Windows down
    1:05-1:30 windows up
    1:30-end windows down
    https://youtu.be/cfA__JHk2Xo

Drive-by:
    Wasn't too happy with how the sound came out on this one. The in cab vid sounds better. And didnt keep accelerating after I passed the camera. oops. now I know. But here ya go anyways:D
    https://youtu.be/ocEHMt7QJdY

9. May 7, 2015 at 6:49 AM
    Boosted TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Zeb
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    TRD Supercharger, URD 7th injector, 2.2" S/C pulley, light weight crank pulley, CAI, CB exhaust, Camburg Mid-Travel front, LSK Cantilever L/T rear
    Sounds good, to quiet for me, but love the way it looks! they did a great job. again nice work on the custom exhaust done right!

10. May 7, 2015 at 3:40 PM
    NightProwler

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    I kinda wished I had it installed without the resonator first. I don't think borla is too loud to begin with. I thought it would be though with a single high flow cat. Then I could've just installed the resonator later if need be. I suppose I could take it out and have a pipe welded in, but that's kinda counter productive and probly look like shit.. Oh well. She sounds good. Better in person.

Oh and does the sound/tone change a little bit after so many miles? Like a break in period or something? I've seen a couple vids people posted after a 1000 miles.. wondering if she'll open up a little more...?

11. May 7, 2015 at 4:10 PM
    Boosted TRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Zeb
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    Ya, it'll probably change a little bit, you probably won't notice with out doing a video & comparing the original with the new video.

12. Jun 12, 2015 at 8:08 AM
    opteron

opteron Well-Known Member

Member:
    whittier, CA.
    Vehicle:
    2003 DB 4x4 SR5
    Leer camper, bug-rug, fox suspension 2.0 rear, fox 2.5 front, BAMF sliders and LCA, TRD fake 3 piece rims
    That sounds great...I'm looking in to borla exhaust as my flowmaster is way to loud for my taste.

13. Jun 12, 2015 at 2:03 PM
    NightProwler

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    Thanks I'm still loving it. And she has actually opened up abit more as well and I can hear the difference. Bit louder and a little deeper. Love love love it:)
    Find myself driving "silent" (no radio) from time to time now just to listen to the exhaust, heh. I bet with a manual she'd be even more fun to drive.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  14. Nov 16, 2015 at 8:56 PM
    paquu

paquu Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    RI
    Vehicle:
    02 doublecab fj trm rims, roof led bar
    42" LED bar
    Just wanted to say thanks for putting this thread up. I recently discovered I need a new exhaust. Was going to automatically go with OEM but figured I should see what else is out there. I really like the subtlety of it. Sounds really great.

Any highway drone?

15. Nov 16, 2015 at 9:24 PM
    NightProwler

Member:
    First Name:
    Harlan
    Maricopa, Az
    Vehicle:
    Nope no drone. It's really clean. Not sure about having it dumped under the bed though. Which is what I initially was going to do. I think that would cause some drone. But no I BARELY hear it at highway speeds with the resonator. Tahts another thing too. I have no idea how it'd sound without a resonator. But I would think it would be the same, just a bit louder is all. I only hear it when accelerating/low speed cruising as it is now. At idle its completely silent in cab. And highway speeds I don't really hear it at all with the radio turned up a smidge...

And I'm no expert and really have no experience outside of this setup. But from all I've heard and seen, borla is a really tame muffler and sounds good no matter the setup. I would think it would come down to where it exits. If you plan to dump it under the truck before the axle then I might be concerned about possible drone issues. Idk.. I should probly try posting another sound clip too. Since install she's opened up a little more I think. Got a little more growl to her now which I'm loving even more. It's just perfect now imo.

16. Dec 11, 2015 at 12:10 AM
    digitaLbraVo

digitaLbraVo Derka Derka

Member:
    Covered in stickers and chrome stick-ons for extra horse torques and foot powers. Icon sticker gets me tons of travel, dozens of milimeters.
    Wow very thorough video presentations!

Even though you dealt with a restrictive camera/audio source (it's my opinion that without proper recording equipment NO ONE gets a "deep" exhaust right as the bass tones can be so, so, low) you still gave a good perspective on it. It reminds me a lot of what my Flowmaster sounds like, although I imagine it is different as I'm dumped before the rear axle and on the 4L 1GR-FE. I definitely prefer a louder and more "present" sound and even kind of enjoy "highway drone" to some extent.

If anyone is curious I have a Flowmaster 40 and you can hear it when you step on it quite good, a nice "deep" growl as you roll through 30mph and it smooths out a LOT around 60~65mph. Almost non-existent really.

Nice choice OP, looks good. Sounds good.

To Top