1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bed extender dummy question.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by EricGagne, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Aug 12, 2010 at 8:30 AM
    EricGagne

EricGagne [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Montreal
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road
    Literider Tonneau Cover, RAM Mount Laptop Support. Uniden CB RTT and awning with self-designed custom rack Dual battery system - National Luna solenoid and monitor, Columbia Overland dual battery tray, 2 Odyssey PC1200 12 circuits Fuse block with 80A macro fuse block "breaker" OME suspension Replaced passenger area with a flat platform for my ARB fridge and camping clothes. Tiregate HG series
    It has probably been asked before but I couldn't find the answer in the forum. I'm wondering if I can go on a 2 or 3 weeks expedition using the bed extender and with the tail gate lowered.

Does the tail gate lock down or something ? If I drive on bumpy roads isn't it going to bounce up and down and damage the hinges ?

2. Aug 12, 2010 at 10:00 AM
    CRfofiddyF

CRfofiddyF Well-Known Member

Member:
    FL
    Vehicle:
    23 TRD OR 4x4
    You may add straps from the bed extender to the hitch to make sure the tailgate stays lowered.

3. Aug 12, 2010 at 10:23 AM
    EricGagne

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Montreal
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road
    Literider Tonneau Cover, RAM Mount Laptop Support. Uniden CB RTT and awning with self-designed custom rack Dual battery system - National Luna solenoid and monitor, Columbia Overland dual battery tray, 2 Odyssey PC1200 12 circuits Fuse block with 80A macro fuse block "breaker" OME suspension Replaced passenger area with a flat platform for my ARB fridge and camping clothes. Tiregate HG series
    Then I guess a swing out carrier like this instead of the tailgate wouldn't be a very good idea either.

http://www.tiregate.com/vt_series_0.shtml

4. Aug 12, 2010 at 10:29 AM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    the newer tacos have reinforced tgates. id have to ask how bumpy are we talking? if you need the extender to fit something in the bad, i would think it will hold the tailgate down. if not keep the extender towards the front and the gate closed.

5. Aug 12, 2010 at 10:31 AM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    stress cracks in the actual tailgate. that would be fine

6. Aug 12, 2010 at 10:39 AM
    Matic

Matic The "OFG" Baby!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Tricky Dick
    Easley, SC
    Vehicle:
    1 owner 2002 TRD, SR5, DC, 2.7. Full OME suspension, STT pro's.
    OME 881 coils with OME nitrochargers shocks up front. TC UCA's OME Dakars with extra leaf in the rear. Warn 8000 winch with 80ft custom braided synth line. Custom 60ft synth extension. All pro tube bumper, Hi-lift jack, Safari Snorkel, Wilco tiregate. 2019 Jeep JLUR.
    Ive had my gen 1 tailgate and cargo rack out for almost 11 yrs. Your not gonna hurt anything.

7. Aug 12, 2010 at 10:40 AM
    EricGagne

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Montreal
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off Road
    I thought Oswego meant cracks on the truck, like near the hinges or something.

Here's the thing. I'm getting my Tacoma tomorrow, I plan on mounting my Roof-Top-Tent over the bed with a DeWalt rack. I will use the truck for overlanding, not extreme off road but there could be some bumps here and there when back roads are in bad shape. I will undoubtedly ride it at 50+ MPH on some gravel roads that can sometimes be a little rough.

Now I'm weighing my options to see if there's a way I can fit all my gear in the Tacoma and get rid of my M101 trailer on which I have the RTT for now. I was thinking that if I end up short less than 3 or 4 cubic feet, maybe I could use the bed extender to get the extra room.

But that means driving anywhere between 3000 and 6000 kilometers that way.

8. Aug 12, 2010 at 10:42 AM
    Yoytoda

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Vehicle:
    completely stock
    if there is weight on the tailgate, im sure itd be fine. i just wouldnt want to bounce the crap out of it while driving.

Products Discussed in

To Top