1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bed Removal

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ImMrCrash, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Nov 17, 2018 at 3:07 PM
    ImMrCrash

ImMrCrash [OP] Intermittent Error

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB ᴛʀᴅ ᴏʀ 4x4
    Bilstein 5100’s Dakar CS047R Supreme Suspension U-Bolt flip kit Sumo Springs Blue ADV Fiberglass Fenders 1st Gen Snorkel DV8 Apex Plate Bumper X-Bull 13k Winch KC HiLiTES 6x9 Trail-Gear Sliders 4x Innovations LCA Skids Spidertrax 1.25” Eagle Alloy 16x8 4” BS Fierce Attitude M/T 315/75R16 Bearcat 980SSB CB
    Im attempting to remove the bed from my 2007 in order to install fiberglass. I need to get access to the 5 bolts on either side, wedged between the cab and the bed. My hands are way to big too fit back there.

I’ve been trying for the last hour to remove the 6 bed bolts. I was able to get 3 off using a 244ftlb impact driver and/or breaker bar, but the last 3 have me stumped. They’ve been soaking for 12 hours in pb blaster but these 3 will not come off. One of them is already destroyed as the bit teeth dug through the head (bit was seated properly) while using a breaker bar so I’ll probably just have to cut that one off. It was slightly damaged from the last time it was taken off by a shop back in 2008.

Decided to give myself an early Christmas and bought a Milwaukee M18 Fuel 1/2 drive impact rated for “1400 FT-LBS NUT-BUSTING TORQUE” and programmed a couple different levels working up to “1400ftlbs”. Well the 2 remaining bolt heads survived the full force with some minor metal flaking and still have not released their (probably rusty) grip on the frame.

Any ideas as to what I should attempt next?

2. Nov 17, 2018 at 3:19 PM
    Shearboy2005

Shearboy2005 It can't stay tight if it's a liquid.

Member:
    Ky
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD SPORT, 06 PreRunner
    Torch'em. They can't stay tight if they're a liquid.

ImMrCrash[OP] likes this.
  3. Nov 17, 2018 at 5:02 PM
    mbroughton02

mbroughton02 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Cortland, NY
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB
    OME 884, 5100s, Wheeler's 1.5" Progressive AAL, Firestone Ride Rite, Fisher Homesteader 7'4" Plow, Heated Seats, Viper 5806v Remote Start / Alarm.
    Yeah, I bought a MAP gas torch from Lowes for this purpose. Great investment. Get under the truck and heat the bolts from there. Heating those heads would probably just make them strip.

ImMrCrash[OP] likes this.
  4. Nov 17, 2018 at 5:05 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    Just pulled my bed off two weeks ago. Fortunately I had a frame replacement within the last 12 months and the bolts for the frame came free relatively easily.

ImMrCrash[OP], PzTank and Jckdnls like this.
  5. Nov 17, 2018 at 5:26 PM
    PzTank

PzTank Stuck in the Well

Member:
    Above the Notches
    Vehicle:
    ‘15 AC SR5 4X4 4.0 Auto
    ‘07 OR leather shift knob
    Here in NH, we have to explain the meaning behind vanity plates....

Just wondering if you have a similar requirement in PA and if so, how'd you explain the meaning of yours!

Great plate BTW :cheers:

6. Nov 17, 2018 at 5:37 PM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    lol, I’ve had that for years...
    Tacoma World For The Mother Fucking Win :D

They didn’t ask for an explanation, nor did I offer one. :cool:

ChemDawg and PzTank[QUOTED] like this.
  7. Nov 17, 2018 at 5:45 PM
    PzTank

PzTank Stuck in the Well

Member:
    Above the Notches
    Vehicle:
    ‘15 AC SR5 4X4 4.0 Auto
    ‘07 OR leather shift knob
    Oh man, no explanation needed.... so much for Live Free or Die up here in NH....

Yeah, I looked up FTMFW...cool....way cooler than 3LOH55A :rofl:

HomerTaco likes this.
  8. Nov 17, 2018 at 6:10 PM
    ImMrCrash

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB ᴛʀᴅ ᴏʀ 4x4
    Bilstein 5100’s Dakar CS047R Supreme Suspension U-Bolt flip kit Sumo Springs Blue ADV Fiberglass Fenders 1st Gen Snorkel DV8 Apex Plate Bumper X-Bull 13k Winch KC HiLiTES 6x9 Trail-Gear Sliders 4x Innovations LCA Skids Spidertrax 1.25” Eagle Alloy 16x8 4” BS Fierce Attitude M/T 315/75R16 Bearcat 980SSB CB
    Thanks for the responses, I have a map torch laying around and it didn’t even cross my mind so I appreciate that. Unfortunately even after cleaning away excess pb blaster and getting the torch right on the threads, I still had no luck. Started with the breaker bar, no dice. I made sure the impact was fully charged and worked my way up to its full power again and it started to strip the head ever so slightly.

I eventually came to the conclusion that I wasn’t going to keep the old bedsides since they are pretty beat up anyways and started to just manhandle the steel until I could fit a wrench in the gap.

Got the fiberglass set up at least. Now for the trimming, drilling, and pulling out fiberglass splinters for days.

3CDCD775-6235-446B-876C-0FA580E05B43.jpg

PzTank, HomerTaco and buyobuyo like this.
  9. Nov 18, 2018 at 4:56 AM
    HomerTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    Which company did you go with for the fiberglass? Looks good!

10. Nov 18, 2018 at 6:25 AM
    ImMrCrash

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB ᴛʀᴅ ᴏʀ 4x4
    Thanks!

Advanced Fiberglass Concepts.
    Front: 4” flare 3” rise
    Rear: 4.5” flare 3” rise 5’ mini bed flat top

HomerTaco[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top