1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bed Stiffener Alternative Solution???

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by tacoma_JT, Dec 4, 2020.

1. Dec 4, 2020 at 1:32 PM
    tacoma_JT

tacoma_JT [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma DCSB TRD OR
    I couldn't be more brand new to this stuff. I have owned a Tacoma (my first) for one week today. I have wanted one for 30 years and finally decided to make it happen.

Anyway, I am currently making plans about how I want to set it up. It will be my daily driver. I will also use it for work projects around the house. And will travel it in some for non-overlanding/camping type things.

But right now I am planning to get a pair of the CBI Overland Bars for the bed. And I'd like to mount a rooftop tent on those bars when I get out and about in the woods. But I can also see putting a regular cargo basket on it from time to time, and even one of those plastic cargo boxes from Thule or Yakima. I can also see times where I will take the Overland Bars completely off for certain projects. But most of the time I will probably be riding around with them in place with nothing on top of them.

Now, to the point of this post. As I understand it, the (dynamic) forces involved when you place something heavy on any type of rack or bar mounted to the sides of your bed while driving around can be strong enough to damage the bed over time. And I have seen all the different bed stiffener solutions and am not opposed to installing a set. But since I won't be placing any load on the Overland Bars 90%+ of the time, and won't be doing anything but city driving 90%+ of the time, I began to wonder if I could come up with something that I could put in place only when I need to that would accomplish the same purpose of keeping the bed from bowing out. And, I was wondering if I could get some feedback on it.

What I have done is I attach ratchet straps to two of the cleats on the deck rail system (moved all the way rearward). And I have attached the other end of the straps to the D-Rings on the opposite sides of the bed. They are tight, but not crazy tight. Like I said, I am very new to all of this and may be missing something or totally out in left field, but what I have setup does seem to really prevent the bed sides from bowing outward. In fact, they seem solid as a rock. Without the straps installed I could visibly move the bed sides away from the tailgate. With these installed they don't move at all. Is that a good test?

Honestly I'm a little hesitant to start drilling into the bed of my brand new truck (I know that won't last long) for something I will only need in place 10% of the time. My thought is that when I load the Overland Bars down with something, I could put these straps (or something like them) in place to keep the bed sides from bowing out. I am also guessing that it would be safe to remove them as long as the vehicle is stopped for the night. From my reading, it doesn't seem like static forces are the main problem.

Anyway, I have attached a picture in case what I described is not clear. I would greatly appreciate any and all feedback. From browsing these forums I can tell that there is a lot of knowledge and experience here, and I look forward to learning something. Thanks in advance for your help.

Bed Stiffener Alternative.jpg

TexasTacoLT likes this.
  2. Dec 4, 2020 at 1:36 PM
    Fargo Taco

Fargo Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Not Drew but still Drew
    Fargo
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Pro
    Lomax tonneau cover, N-Fab Podium steps, bed mat, the dreaded Raptor Lights
    I have no input on your question but wanted to say congrats on the new Taco and welcome to TW! :cheers:

3. Dec 4, 2020 at 1:41 PM
    tacoma_JT

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma DCSB TRD OR
    Thank you, sir!

4. Dec 4, 2020 at 1:42 PM
    Kovaci

Kovaci Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    SD / IN
    Vehicle:
    2021 Army Green DCSB TRD Off Road
    Welcome to TW!

I think the bed concerns are exaggerated for most people but I understand preventative measures. Question, how does this prevent them from bowing inward?

5. Dec 4, 2020 at 1:44 PM
    Windigo

Windigo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Farook
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Vehicle:
    '14 Acess Cab
    With all due respect. Maybe a little less internet reading and a lite more enjoy your new truck.
    Congratulations on picking a truck with a plastic bed. :)

6. Dec 4, 2020 at 1:44 PM
    Punkface

Punkface Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma TRD Off-Road DCSB 4x4
    I've always been scared to ask but might as well.

What circumstances would require bed stiffeners? If there's a lot of weight on the sides of the bed? Or is it more of a peace of mind thing for most people?

TexasTacoLT and tacoma_JT[OP] like this.
  7. Dec 4, 2020 at 1:44 PM
    VeeSix

VeeSix Yotahead, Deadhead.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Tennessee, USA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4
    2018 Tacoma - gone 2003 Tacoma - gone 1983 FJ60 - gone 1988 BJ73 - gone 1992 FJ80 - eternal
  8. Dec 4, 2020 at 1:44 PM
    TacoTyusday

TacoTyusday Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2014 White Tacoma TRD Baja
    Welcome to TW!

I'm no engineer or mechanical genius. At face value, it seems they would do the trick.

Personally, it's worth it to me to spend the $100-160 (Depending what company you go with) to install it once and forget it, rather than having to hook up those straps every time you need to put weight on the bars, and then removing/reinstalling every time you're set up for camp/parked/whatever. Convenience over expense.

I'm sure you could get away with doing that to inhibit bed flex though. I'm sure someone with more physics expertise could weigh in further.

Reggie4x4 and tacoma_JT[OP] like this.
  9. Dec 4, 2020 at 1:44 PM
    tacotroy17

tacotroy17 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dustin
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCSB TRD-OR
    The thing with the bed stiffeners is that they gusset the corners of the bed. These straps will keep the top of the bedsides from spreading apart, but it does not prevent them from moving simultaneously toward one side of the other.

mitt22, hacc, ScootARoot and 2 others like this.
  10. Dec 4, 2020 at 1:46 PM
    projghost

projghost Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Portland OR
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD OR DCLB
    Bilstein 5100's +2" front Rear Wheeler AAL +1.5" Rear Dirt King Balljoint UCA's Method 701 Wheels BFG K02 C4 Hybrid Front Bumper RCI Skid Plate Baja Designs S2 Sport Ditch Lights Baja Designs Squadron Sport Fog Lights Cali Raised DItch Light Brackets CVT Mt Bachelor RTT CBI Overland Bars Cali Raised Rock Sliders Prinsu Cab Rack TheTacoGarage TRD pro grill + raptor lights CBI/prinsu Maxtrax and Rotopax mounts Victory 4x4 Bed Stiffeners ActionTrax boards 2g Rotopax (Gas/Water) Ironman 4x4 Compressor Agency 6 Recovery Hitch Blacked out Emblems
    I have bed stiffeners but I don't think the bed bowing out is as big of a problem as the marketing would make it seem. Especially with how light the overland bars are. Just roll with and get the bed stiffeners whenever you feel like it

11. Dec 4, 2020 at 1:47 PM
    tacoma_JT

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma DCSB TRD OR

Thanks for the response!

I have wondered if they are exaggerated, but there seems to be a lot of concern about it. So I feel like it's a better safe than sorry thing.

Regarding the bed bowing inward, I haven't seen that being what normally happens. I also guess the tailgate would provide some help there??? And the overland bars too??? But you raise a good question. Again, only relying on what I have heard which is that bowing out seems to the the major problem.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

12. Dec 4, 2020 at 1:48 PM
    Kovaci

Kovaci Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    SD / IN
    Vehicle:
    When you have a lot of weight above the bed (shell, rack, tent, etc.) and are creating a lot of side to side movement (off road).

13. Dec 4, 2020 at 1:49 PM
    Toyota09

Toyota09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Off-Road Inferno
    So I wasn't a believer in bed stiffeners. 67k miles later, canopy on my truck 98% of its life, and a lot of dirt roads, I finally decided to buy some that were on sale for black friday. When I put them in, especially my drivers side, the bottom of my bed had worked its way up a bit. The stiffener wouldn't sit straight against the bottom and side of my bed without a good amount of pressure and pulling. I am very happy I have them in now and prevent any further damage. If I were going to do it again, I would have put these in sooner than later.

That said, if you don't offroad and have weight on your bed, I wouldn't worry about it.

14. Dec 4, 2020 at 1:51 PM
    VeeSix

VeeSix Yotahead, Deadhead.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Tennessee, USA
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4
    2018 Tacoma - gone 2003 Tacoma - gone 1983 FJ60 - gone 1988 BJ73 - gone 1992 FJ80 - eternal
    The bed is mostly plastic now and racking forces will deform it where it wouldn’t have a solid steel bed. But Toyota is more concerned with fuel economy than any other consideration, so there. The big thing people do is mount a weight up high, namely a tent, plus tools and tanks of fuel, then go off bouncing and twisting the frame. Bed stiffeners go a long way to keeping the sides from flexing and splaying out.

15. Dec 4, 2020 at 1:52 PM
    tacoma_JT

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma DCSB TRD OR
    Yeah... I see what you are saying. I guess I am operating on the idea that the main problem is bowing out. But I was also thinking that with the overland bars in place along with the straps it would also keep them from doing what you are describing.

16. Dec 4, 2020 at 1:53 PM
    Kovaci

Kovaci Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    SD / IN
    Vehicle:
    If the tent is going to be mounted a decent height above the bed and your usual trails are less than flat I would just get some real stiffeners. Otherwise, take some measurements now, go out a few times and check again for square every few months.

17. Dec 4, 2020 at 1:54 PM
    Kovaci

Kovaci Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    SD / IN
    Vehicle:
    This is good to know haha. I have a shell now and have been arguing with myself whether or not I need them

tacoma_JT[OP] likes this.
  18. Dec 4, 2020 at 1:55 PM
    tacoma_JT

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma DCSB TRD OR

Thank you for sharing your experience! That is exactly what I am thinking... come up with a solution now rather than later. I do plan on doing some light off roading and will have weight on the bars from time to time. Maybe it would never be enough to start wearing things down and causing problems, but if I can come up with a simple solution I want to put it in place.

Fargo Taco likes this.
  19. Dec 4, 2020 at 1:57 PM
    tacoma_JT

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma DCSB TRD OR
    I have considered that approach too. Thanks for giving me some confidence to go that route.

20. Dec 4, 2020 at 1:59 PM
    JdevTac

JdevTac Bawnjourno

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    GA/WA
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen
    Bed stiffeners are cheap insurance but not really necessary in most applications, at the end of the day are still just a bandaid. So what the tailgate area is buffed up, the next weakpoint elsewhere then becomes new point of failure. Most people won’t need to worry about it to begin with unless you see routine situations causing flexion in addition to having heavy bed rail weight/loads. If you want a project by all means install some. I’m sure that’s why majority of people bought them to begin with.

tacoma_JT[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top