1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Beefed surfboard / ladder rack

Discussion in 'General Automotive' started by Beefed Taco, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Oct 13, 2009 at 5:37 PM
    Beefed Taco

Beefed Taco [OP] Taco Vending Machine

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    My Metal Shop
    Vehicle:
    99 Taco
    streetacos.com parts!
    I made this for a guy that Rick (pray4surf) met while he was surfing. He saw Rick's off road tent rack I made. Just so happens Jonathan has a black 96 4x4 Taco. I'll get some pictures of the racks painted and on his truck with 2 surfboards. I would have tapered them inward to flow with the cab, but he wanted them 48" wide. waytogo_82a2dcfcbf91b28330a7f12007d2d5959649daa3.gif

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1A.jpg
    1B.jpg

2. Sep 29, 2010 at 8:52 PM
    Surf Taco

Surf Taco Greg

Member:
    SoCal (Gardena)
    Vehicle:
    07 Taco, X-1, Thorley Headers, 6" Lift 17"Rim
    6" lift 17" rims/tires X-One TRD intake & exhaust L2S Sport Rack System
  3. Sep 29, 2010 at 8:56 PM
    flightcancled

flightcancled Addicted

Member:
    Syracuse NY/ Nantucket MA
    Camper top with racks, Custom fogs behind lower bumper. Interior LED lighting, Rock Lights, Hella 500s with upraged bulbs behind black billet grill, AAL, Front 5100s
    Stop spamming.

You have been reported. If you want to sell or promote you product here set yourself up as a vendor or buy add space.

4. Sep 29, 2010 at 9:02 PM
    schiz94

schiz94 Thread Jacker

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Bellingham,WA
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Reg Cab
    Morimoto Projector Retrofit, alpine cda-105,Wheelskins leather wheel cover, wet okoles,5% tint on back and 24% on front two windows,Debadged tailgate,custom sockmonkey centercap decals, xr rims pced gloss black.
    thats the 4th time ive seen this in less than 10 minutes

5. Sep 29, 2010 at 9:09 PM
    flightcancled

flightcancled Addicted

Member:
    Camper top with racks, Custom fogs behind lower bumper. Interior LED lighting, Rock Lights, Hella 500s with upraged bulbs behind black billet grill, AAL, Front 5100s
    Yup, its not like he is going to sell here either. I am not trusting the racks to the plastic bed cleats. No thank you. If the racks alone few off you would be out a few hundred depending on what accessories you had on there. Then add the value of whatever may be on there. Also I think most of us are all way to practical and skilled to not look at that and realize that you could make it in 20 min with some scrap metal and a few bolts found in the garage.

6. Sep 29, 2010 at 9:10 PM
    schiz94

schiz94 Thread Jacker

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Bellingham,WA
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Reg Cab
    Morimoto Projector Retrofit, alpine cda-105,Wheelskins leather wheel cover, wet okoles,5% tint on back and 24% on front two windows,Debadged tailgate,custom sockmonkey centercap decals, xr rims pced gloss black.
    he has posted in like 10 different threads. stop him!!

7. Sep 30, 2010 at 8:40 AM
    Surf Taco

Surf Taco Greg

Member:
    SoCal (Gardena)
    Vehicle:
    07 Taco, X-1, Thorley Headers, 6" Lift 17"Rim
    6" lift 17" rims/tires X-One TRD intake & exhaust L2S Sport Rack System
    1st let me say that like you, I'm simply trying to help us Taco owners that are looking for options.
    2nd, I've inquired about becoming a vendor several times, & as usual...no response.
    3rd, as far as design issues...do your homework, I did. That's why they are patented & insured.
    4th, I'm sorry my post upset you, that was NOT my intent.

8. Sep 30, 2010 at 8:50 AM
    flightcancled

flightcancled Addicted

Member:
    I'm sorry but that is just the most over-used self defense. And it does not entitle you to bypass the system promote your product in this manner.

My homework? How about experience? I haul 100-200 lbs of stuff on my racks every weekend and have for years. I am not trusting injection plastic which is not designed for that use to hold expensive equipment in place. The whole thing is held in place by some pretty small bolts that connect the rails to the bed, thin metal rails and then by plastic. The way that the cleats are being used by your system also puts the most stress of the thinnest part of the cleat. One day it will just come apart from one weak link or another.

Seriously, would you trust $500- 1000 to these? I wouldn't. and that is about the minimum value that you will be trusting any rack system with.

[​IMG]

The idea is very cool, I will give you that, but its based off a weak foundation.

Products Discussed in

To Top