1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Before you bought your bike

Discussion in 'Motorcycles' started by KodiakToyTRD, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Mar 12, 2011 at 10:27 PM
    ToucanV13

ToucanV13 You think I was rollin out here naked?

Member:
    San Diego and Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Infideled out TRD Sport 4X4
    285/70 Hankook AT-M, Window vents, TRD CAI, TRD Cat-back exhaust with WickedFlow can, AFE Throttle Body Spacer, Billy 5100 @ 2.5 and 1" block rear, RBP nerf bars, Halo HIDs, 20% tint up front
    Wear Gear for sure. Before I got a bike, while on deployment (about 8 months before I got one) I read every bike mag I could. Best ones were sportbike rider and the other sport one (can't remember) they have riding tips though and talk about ergonomics. Helped me immensely

2. Mar 12, 2011 at 10:57 PM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    I rode one. Its not something you take off road, my "flr" is. I have avon road tires on it right now, but when I had D606s on it, it would go anywhere. Never even dropped the beast. Which is good, as it's hard to pick up, and without crash bars on it, it's hard to avoid major body work damage or possibly radiator...The VSTROM has a low fender, comes on road tires and is fragile up top for tipping. Closer to the new KLR. I like the KLR better, but I don't do lots of miles. The vstrom is a bit more highway friendly. Has a 6 speed if memory serves. KLR is cranked at 60. 70 is scary, 75 ... well, I have off road tubes so I don't do 75. It'll do 95 they say. Speedo goes to like 120.. HA.
    Buddy of mine takes his 2004 klr all over the oregon state motorcycle trails. Even hauled a deer out on the back of one. Not Vstrom territory, but are you going to do that?

Vstrom is a nicer on road ride, maybe, I felt that it seemed cheap, but so does the KLR, difference being, the KLR actually is. Nice high riding position, comfortable, good power, love it or hate it looks, sad exhaust note, but quiet too. If I was shopping Vstrom, I'd definitely take the Versys out for a spin.

And .. ooh.. I'm stiff for a super tenere.

3. Mar 12, 2011 at 11:11 PM
    KodiakToyTRD

KodiakToyTRD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    Thats my bad, I meant KLR...oops.

4. Mar 12, 2011 at 11:27 PM
    KodiakToyTRD

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    That Versys looks very good...good ideas Rick, I appreciate the input!

5. Mar 13, 2011 at 1:00 AM
    island808

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Oh, and of course.. don't forget the KLR if you're interested in either of them. You might also be surprised by the amazing fun and power of the wr250x and r, DRZ400, xr650, sv650 fz8 .. ninja 650.

6. Mar 14, 2011 at 2:56 PM
    solus

solus HOME!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bremerton, WA
    Vehicle:
    RR 4wd SR5
    I didn't watch crash videos until after I got the bike... I took the MSF course and went out and bought a bike.

If you're considering a Kawasaki... I'd just skip the 250 and go straight for the 650... I had the 250R and while fun and very easy to learn on I got bored super quick. Sold it after having it for 6 months and picked up the 650. The 650 is a very nice bike to learn on... upright posture, sport bike looks, low end torque, sport bike handling, and has enough power to be fun.

IMG_2531_0394ca24d0b726d455dc931b1c915a174dc15146.jpg
    IMG_1192_f1c5896faa16b9fdc8fa51f71a5081bdb368a04d.jpg

7. Mar 16, 2011 at 12:08 AM
    island808

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    All bikes always get boring. 250 or 1500, there's no difference really. Small bikes for when you feel like throwing around a good handling bike, big bike when you want to imbed yourself in a tree. I found that the better the sport handling of the bike, just made me have to get super dangerous to ride. If you're looking for a riding experience, you just can't have one on a super sport. To get it anywhere near pushing it, you're in 3rd gear doing 110 around a rising curve. rediculous. If it's a penis replacement, then, there's no replacement for displacement. everything from the tt200 (tw200?) up will do highway speed with anyone approaching average weight and width. Everything else is overkill.. well... as far as weekend rides and commuting goes. Traveling hundreds of miles a day is different. But very very few ever do that.

8. Mar 16, 2011 at 12:15 AM
    KodiakToyTRD

Member:
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
    Just starting out and with my styles likes vs dislikes, I'm not into the Harley or cruiser style bikes. Also with zero experience, I'm not looking to fly around corners or zip up and down canyons. Basically I want a good, stylish looking bike with a little get up and go and that is comfortable to commute on and possibly have another person and go for a day ride. Nothing crazy fast or cruiser style. The Versys and V-strom are standing out right now...but I'll have to shop around and touch the bikes and sit on them to see what I really like.

9. Mar 16, 2011 at 6:32 AM
    Simon's Mom

Simon's Mom Wag More Bark Less

Member:
    First Name:
    Judy or Jude :)
    NEK Island Pond VT
    Vehicle:
    24 Tundra Trd Sport former 13 TRD OR
    Stock for now
    I have two friends that have V-Stroms & have put some very high mileage on them. They absolutely love them.
    Another owns a Versys & seems happy but not say as much as the V-Strom but their taste is more V-Star, totally different class of bike!
    Actually was surprised when he bought the bike believe it was an impulse move so many are.
    Before my knee replacement surgery last summer, I decided I would buy a myself a new bike for going through it.
    All my riding had been on very good used bikes, Honda XL 250, Nighthawk 450 & 650, Yamaha Seca 550 & Radian 600.
    No I never watched any crash videos as Island said, when I got my license they didn't even issue permits, but I had been out of it for a few years.
    I bought an older CM400 first to make sure I wanted to get back into the sport.
    That way my initial purchase was small & if I didn't like it could sell it pretty easily. The bike cost $700.
    Needless to say, I loved riding again.
    My best friend is a powersport dealer (Yamaha, Kawasaki, & Aprilla).
    I was dead set on a Versys but he had me try out as many bikes & brands that I could which I did.
    Ended up buying a FZ6R. Actually wanted a FZ6 (less plastic/better components) but they were sold out due to Yamaha bringing the FZ8 to the states.
    I ended up liking riding position & the inline 4 better. Its been a great bike!
    What killed it for me on a lot of bikes in this class was the seat height.
    I would had to have it lowered (the Versys is 33") & just didn't to spend the extra $$. That was the deal breaker :(
    I would definately look at a lot of bikes, demo as many as you can & take the MSF (done both 1&2 w/ refreshers).
    No crash videos, work on improving your riding skills, respect the bike & do pre-ride checks, drive defensively & wear the gear (what many people have said).
    Set your self up for success :)

10. Mar 20, 2011 at 2:38 AM
    island808

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    I had an fz6 recently. Probably the best bike i've ever seen, much less owned. I couldn't control MYSELF on it though. It was very forgiving, handled absolutely perfectly. But less so since I had it on one wheel at least once or twice just on the way to work (7 miles one intersection). I liked it, but until they get me on an impulse control prescription, I'm staying away from 600s and 1000s.

Products Discussed in

To Top