1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Before you buy UltraGauge...

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by CollegeKevin, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Apr 13, 2012 at 6:31 PM
    CollegeKevin

CollegeKevin [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Long Island
    I purchased the UltraGauge for $69.95 after a $9 mail-in rebate on Monday and was happy to receive it today. I just wanted to make a quick point about the $9 rebate. It's not as easy as just mailing in your receipt. You have to answer about 5 questions after reading each of the 5 page instructions. You will also have to give your vehicle date code/ and other vehicle information. You need to also write down about 50 hexadecimal numbers within the gauge settings itself. None of this really bothered me until they bring up the disclaimer.

"The use of UltraGauge is at your own risk. Nexzor Inc., shall in no event be liable for any damages, whether direct or indirect,
    special or general, consequential or incidental, arising from any loss claimed as a result of the use of UltraGauge."

You have to initial this box to receive your $9 rebate. This sorta ticked me off and I wanted to bring it to everyone's attention. By signing this form you are taking on all liability should this product fail and do damage to your ECU. So for a cheap $9 they remove any liability on them.

Not sure if this means much to anyone else but I will not be sending in my rebate to absorb all liabilities for $9.

2. Apr 13, 2012 at 7:08 PM
    blenderdriver

blenderdriver Inflamed Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    texAss
    Vehicle:
    Magnetic Grey 2010 4 Door, 4X4, Long bed.
    Two tailgate mounted Rolls-Royce AE3007A1 high bypass ratio, two-spool axial flow turbofan engines.
    Just take a picture of each page you need and of the data plate with your phone, saves time, I agree though, pain in the butt all the stuff they have you fill out.

3. Apr 13, 2012 at 7:12 PM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    SoCal
    Wasnt worth my time.

4. Apr 13, 2012 at 7:15 PM
    Johns Taco

Johns Taco I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    05 DSM Base SR5 Slug Taco
    Full custom stereo, onboard air compressor, train horns, spacer lift, 30" tires, optima yellow top, rear slider window & tailgate anti-theft mod, pop & lock, class 3 tow hitch, lights in bed, Ultra Gauge, Weather Tech mats, yellow fog lights, camper top, air lift rear airbags, rear diff breather mod, soon to be more...
    I gave up on the rebate (stupid amout of BS), happy with the gauge though.

5. Apr 13, 2012 at 7:25 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    I agree it's a lot of BS, but they're just making sure that:
    A - You've read the manual so you aren't calling an emailing with basic questions
    B - That you know and understand that they aren't liable if your ECU smokes.

That disclaimer is going to be in the manual anyways, and it's going to say something like "By installing this product I understand and accept that....."
    This just keeps you from taking them to court and saying "I didn't see that in the fine print"

Whether you send the rebate in or not changes absolutely nothing legally... they are still covered.

6. Apr 13, 2012 at 7:36 PM
    Johns Taco

Johns Taco I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    05 DSM Base SR5 Slug Taco
    Full custom stereo, onboard air compressor, train horns, spacer lift, 30" tires, optima yellow top, rear slider window & tailgate anti-theft mod, pop & lock, class 3 tow hitch, lights in bed, Ultra Gauge, Weather Tech mats, yellow fog lights, camper top, air lift rear airbags, rear diff breather mod, soon to be more...
    Hmmmm, didn't read that....not liable if my ECU smokes. Scary, but haven't heard of it happening. Sure it wont, but it never happens to any one.

7. Apr 13, 2012 at 7:41 PM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    This. Aside from it sounding like a pain in the ass process, I don't have a problem with that specific disclaimer. Most aftermarket items will have something of the sort. Toytec sends you a sheet essentially saying the same thing if you buy a lift from them. Granted more chances that something might go wrong with that than an UG, but same premise. They're just covering their ass, as any company would.

8. Apr 13, 2012 at 7:43 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Just covering their asses.
    Someone, somewhere, has tried to modify connections or the UG based on misinformation they got off the net... or someone, somewhere, has an SES because they have a bad ECU (wife's Rav4 ECU shit the bed when it was a month old) and they bought an UG to help troubleshoot and tried to blame UG for the failure.

9. Apr 13, 2012 at 9:44 PM
    khx73

khx73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saint John NB, CAN
    Vehicle:
    11 MGM DCLB TRD Sport +leather
    Rear camera anytime switch, 4x4 Illuminated Switch (from rcbs204) , rear view mirror lift bracket (from ImMrYo), 75 cent tailgate anti-theft. Technically not mods but give me a break I'm trying to fill space here... OEM Leather pkg, keyless unlock & ACC chime silence, BakFlip G2, Ultra Gauge EM, WeatherTech floor mats, OEM roof rack
    Rebates are a great promotional tool. Advertise those low prices and cash in on the fact that most people won't bother with them. My experience with rebates has been poor. Some that I bothered to send in never came. Seems like the folks at UG are taking it a step further and making it an extra hassle.
    Meh... it was worth the full price anyway.

10. Apr 13, 2012 at 9:47 PM
    slmgt

slmgt Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD Sport w/ JBL DCLB V6 AT
    Husky floor mats (Fr and Rr) Hose clamp securing tailgate
  11. Apr 14, 2012 at 10:25 PM
    Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Monument, CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Access Cab 4x4 V6 6MT, TRD OR & Tow Packages
    ARE Z-Series Topper, OME 885 Coils, Dakar Leafs, NitroCharger Sports; TRD Quickshifter; TRD Exhaust; aFe POWER Magnum FLOW Pro DRY S Air Filter; Goodridge SS Brake Lines; Cooper Discoverer A/T3s on FJ SE Anthracite Rims; N-Fab 6-Step Nerf Bars; MetalMiller TRD Skid; jsi's Locker Anytime & ramonortiz55's Always on Power Outlet Relay Mods; crashnburn80's Ultimate Headlight & Fog Light Upgrades (RallyLights Harnesses, Osram 85/80W H4 & Flösser 90W H11 Bulbs); ND4's Fog Light Anytime Mod; Interior & Reverse LEDs; AudioControl LC2i LOC, JL Audio XD200/2v2 Amp, Focal PS165V1 Spkrs, Sound Ordnance B-8PTD Sub, Hushmat & Foam Insulation; Ltd Auto-Dim/Compass/Temp/Backup Camera/Homelink mirror; 4Runner 4X4 & FJ Fog Light Switches; Husky Floor Liners; UltraGauge EM; Redline Tuning QuickLIFT Elite; Mobtown Offroad Locking Bed Storage Doors; Toyota Bed Mat; Toyota Bed Extender; Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock; SolarGard Tint; CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna; Amsoil Lubricants; Adam's Detailing Supplies
    This ^^.

12. Apr 15, 2012 at 12:14 PM
    CollegeKevin

CollegeKevin [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Long Island
    Overall I am happy with the gauge so far and I do doubt anything would happen to the ECU, just don't agree with the companies rebate practices.

13. Apr 15, 2012 at 12:22 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    They even say on their web site that the rebate is not a traditional "rebate" but rather a "reward" for RTFM ;)

14. Apr 15, 2012 at 12:39 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    No shit.

Instead of eliminating the paper service manuals and making it subscription online only, they should include one with every vehicle and have a 500 question test based on the manual and provide a $2000 rebate for passing the test.

Guys... you're getting a 15% discount on the UG by simply reading the manual and initialing a box that makes no change in their liability level if your ECU smokes.

What the fuck are you bitching about? It's not even costing you a stamp and the time to walk it to the post office (which is why I normally don't deal with rebates).

15. Apr 15, 2012 at 4:45 PM
    Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Monument, CO
    Vehicle:
    ARE Z-Series Topper, OME 885 Coils, Dakar Leafs, NitroCharger Sports; TRD Quickshifter; TRD Exhaust; aFe POWER Magnum FLOW Pro DRY S Air Filter; Goodridge SS Brake Lines; Cooper Discoverer A/T3s on FJ SE Anthracite Rims; N-Fab 6-Step Nerf Bars; MetalMiller TRD Skid; jsi's Locker Anytime & ramonortiz55's Always on Power Outlet Relay Mods; crashnburn80's Ultimate Headlight & Fog Light Upgrades (RallyLights Harnesses, Osram 85/80W H4 & Flösser 90W H11 Bulbs); ND4's Fog Light Anytime Mod; Interior & Reverse LEDs; AudioControl LC2i LOC, JL Audio XD200/2v2 Amp, Focal PS165V1 Spkrs, Sound Ordnance B-8PTD Sub, Hushmat & Foam Insulation; Ltd Auto-Dim/Compass/Temp/Backup Camera/Homelink mirror; 4Runner 4X4 & FJ Fog Light Switches; Husky Floor Liners; UltraGauge EM; Redline Tuning QuickLIFT Elite; Mobtown Offroad Locking Bed Storage Doors; Toyota Bed Mat; Toyota Bed Extender; Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock; SolarGard Tint; CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna; Amsoil Lubricants; Adam's Detailing Supplies
    The rebate process was a tedious PITA that, as a couple of us have already said, wasn't worth our time.

I drive by a Post Office every day and $0.45 is a lot easier to spend than transcribing a bunch of coded jibberish.

16. Apr 15, 2012 at 5:33 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    For a 15% discount....

And we've got another thread with close to 150 people spanning 3 different forums wanting to get in on a group buy that might save them 20% and they may have to wait for delivery due to low stock at UG.

I looked at the clusterfuck of what the GB seems to be and figured screw it.
    I ordered one two nights ago.

17. Apr 15, 2012 at 5:43 PM
    boshak

boshak Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2003 Manual 4x4 5VZ-FE
    OME 881's, Wheeler's 5-leaf pack, Bilstein 5100's
    Cmon guys, the rebate was a PITA??? I don't even want to hear about how hard and tedious you think it is to work on your truck or the complaints you have at work.

$9... Choose it or lose it. Like another has already said, their liability is already exempt by providing a digital manual.

18. Apr 18, 2012 at 8:38 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Wow.

I'm starting to agree with you.... that was a PITA.
    The web site and a couple of the fanbois are somewhat misleading...

Yes, there is an online "test"... 4 or 5 questions.

Then you enter your vehicle information, but you also need the results from the factory self-test (bunch of Hex numbers, mine returned 40 numbers plus the check digit.

You will not have time to get through the survey to the point that you need to input these and THEN run out to the truck and run the test... when you come back to the computer your session will have timed out, and you will have to log in and go through the ENTIRE process again.

Once completed, you need to print the last page, then print the disclaimer, THEN make a photocopy of your packing slip that came in the box (the ONLY document that came in the box)... sign and initial, and mail all 4 sheets to Texas.

I agree... it's a MAJOR fucking ordeal for $9.

So before you begin the rebate process, you'll need to know your month and year of manufacture, Canbus type (displayed on the UG when it boots up), and the self-test results (and the final check digit in the bottom right corner).

No, it's not hard.
    Yes, it IS tedious, especially given the fact that I had to re-do the ENTIRE process.
    Nowhere did anything say that I needed to install and run the self-test before filling in the rebate information.

It would be nice if they'd do that... but I guess that would mean that you'd be installing it before reading the important warnings.

They'd do better to include a print manual.
    Ya, it's half the price of a Scangauge.
    Ya, it looks like a little GPS sitting there and you can't unplug it from it's cable when you're not in the vehicle, so you have only a few options... unplug it from the OBD-II port and toss it in your glovebox, toss it in your glovebox and hope the dirtbags aren't curious about the cable, mount it above the rear view mirror and hope the dirtbags don't notice it, or reach under the dash and unplug the thing every time you park the truck.

I'm seriously reconsidering... I should have bought the Scangauge.
    This product is cheap, and you get what you pay for... it just seems that it's "almost ready for prime time"

19. Apr 18, 2012 at 8:47 PM
    Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Monument, CO
    Vehicle:
    That is EXACTLY what I was referring to. Unfortunately, it sounds like their process is as user-UNfriendly as ever... :mad:

20. Apr 18, 2012 at 8:53 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    I wouldn't be so bent if there had been some indication that I would need information from the self-test and the VIN plate before I had answered the 4 CYA questions.

I'm guessing they've had to replace a lot of broken mounts in the past ;)

To Top