1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Beginner Upgrade Advise

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by aarwolf, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Jul 26, 2010 at 7:16 AM
    aarwolf

aarwolf [OP] Active Member

Member:
    bristol, TN
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab Off-Road
    Avid sliders, Avid light bar, OEM rack, Undercover Tonneau cover, TRD seat covers and seat belt covers, GE Nighthawk headlights, Husky floor mats, BudBuilt skids, Optima Red Top, AFE ProDry air filter.
    So I just bought an silver 2006 double cab off-road. It is stock except for husky floor mats and a black undercover bed cover. I plan to make a few mods right away and have read and read posts so far but still have questions. I plan to add some slightly bigger tires, sliders or nerf bars, a bull bar or other guard, brighter headlights, seat covers, after market air filter, and a roof rack. Let me tell you what I have about decided on and ask for some of your experienced opinions:

I am looking at

1. Avid off road weld on sliders and maybe grill guard

? Do you get much of a step with sliders , how important is a kick-out, and for only light off roading should I go with the cheaper nerf bars?

?Anyone have an experience with the avid brush guard vs a SS bull bar?

2. BFG tires

? What is a good size tire and rim combo without having to lift my truck or would you recommend at least a small lift?

3. Walmart special seat covers

? How worth it are the TRD wet-suit seat covers and is there a place to get both front and back cover sets?

4. AFE pro-dry air filter

? Should I save up and get a cold air for better HP and maybe gas mileage ?

5. Not sure at all about a roof rack. Trying to decide b/w a perminent rack vs a suck or clip on to occ carry my canoe like in the pics below.
    [​IMG]

Thanks so much for your help. Sorry for not including pics of my truck but I am sure you have seen a sweet stock tacoma before.

Aaron
    Bristol, TN
    2006 Double Cab Off Road

2. Jul 26, 2010 at 7:23 AM
    EricT

EricT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    '09 4x4 shortbed TRD Sport
    I'll speak to number 4 - was one of the better upgrades I did. According to the other members here, the cold air intake doesn't do anything but make your engine sound different - no hp, torque, mileage changes. But the AFE did provide a small boost in all departments there. Also it spins up really fast now, I love it.

3. Jul 26, 2010 at 7:45 AM
    aarwolf

Member:
    bristol, TN
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab Off-Road
    Avid sliders, Avid light bar, OEM rack, Undercover Tonneau cover, TRD seat covers and seat belt covers, GE Nighthawk headlights, Husky floor mats, BudBuilt skids, Optima Red Top, AFE ProDry air filter.
    Thanks. I have always gone with K&N but it sounds like the oil free is the way to go.

4. Jul 26, 2010 at 7:59 AM
    OH-MAN

OH-MAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Sunny Az.
    Vehicle:
    10 4X4 O.R. White
    TRD skid painted black,
    The Avid front light bar is stronger than most bull bars that I have seen. I am sure there are some real strong ones but most are for show.

The Avid is a great looking and well made piece.
    Sliders are a great upgrade as well. I had the N-Fab steps and they are good but I went with sliders later.

If you want a super strong front bumper go with a complete replacement like Relentless Fab or ARB.

Pro dry is a good filter, the extra money spent on a complete intake will make it sound better but I do not think you will be able to prove any H.P. or milage gains. I like the sound so it is worth it to me to use the TRD setup.

5. Jul 26, 2010 at 8:40 AM
    wareagle5693

wareagle5693 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jay
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5
    3" Spacer Lift, with Bilstein 5100s front and rear, BHLM, Satoshi grill, Blacked out tail lights, Midland CB radio, 4' Radio Shack antenna mounted in the bed, Volant CAI, Gibson Exhaust, Magellan GPS, debadged, aries bull bar, pro comp 7089 wheels, Pioneer DEH-P6200BT head unit, eagle eyes halo projector, 8000K DDM tuning HID bulb
    I have the Volant Cold Air Intake, and i noticed a little bit better gas mileage, and a bit more performance by itself. But it really comes into it's own when you install an aftermarket exhaust.

Also for tires, you can put up to 265/75s on there without lifting.. but I'd put enough lift at least to level it first....

6. Jul 26, 2010 at 1:20 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs - 265/75R16. they should fit stock no problem

Used to have BFG on my other trucks and liked them, but when i went to get rid of the stock crap tires on this truck, i found out how much they want for the BFGs now. So i researched all the tires and found the Duratracs. Besides just being one of the best looking tires, they had good ratings in all the areas, including snow. I have had them over a year now, through a winter, and they are the best tire i have ever owned.

7. Jul 27, 2010 at 7:51 AM
    aarwolf

Member:
    bristol, TN
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab Off-Road
    skistoy that is a sweet looking setup. How do those tire do on the hwy?

8. Jul 27, 2010 at 7:56 AM
    aarwolf

Member:
    bristol, TN
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab Off-Road

9. Jul 27, 2010 at 3:52 PM
    skistoy

skistoy Make mine a Double!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 SR5 BSP Double Taco
    Rear Spring TSB,Billy 5100@.85,Bull bar,Nerfbar,Painted Grill,Painted Rims,Bed D-rings,Compustar Starter,Goodyear Duratrac's,Transmission TSB,Brake Overide

Really well, just did a buffalo to rochester trip yesterday
    150 miles round trip.
    nice and smooth ride doing about 75 mph

10. Jul 27, 2010 at 4:09 PM
    tacobox

tacobox Evasive Maneuvers PMKMS

Member:
    +2 for duratracs. Great off road traction and on road handling.

11. Jul 27, 2010 at 6:46 PM
    scottri

scottri Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tigard Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport DC TRD Sport PreRunner
    Cover King Seat Covers, WeatherTech Liners, PopNLock, storage bin locks, N-Fab Step bars, and G4 Elite Tonneau cover.
    My advice, marry rich or get a 2nd job to pay for all the stuff you want to do :)

12. Oct 13, 2010 at 9:11 PM
    aarwolf

Member:
    bristol, TN
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab Off-Road

To Top