1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Being a teacher sucks......

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by kingston73, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Mar 15, 2010 at 7:41 AM
    01tacoprerunner

01tacoprerunner 01 4WD Prerunner

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    01 4WD Prerunner
    Its scary that they let you around minors!!:eek:

2. Mar 15, 2010 at 8:03 AM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    Read the first three words of "The Road Less Traveled" then move on.

3. Mar 15, 2010 at 8:20 AM
    BirdTRD

BirdTRD Unsuspectingly striking from above

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Front (2.75" total): 1.6" Eibach coils, Toytec 0.5" (L) & 0.25" (R) top plate spacers, 5100's @ 0.85", Built Right uniball UCA's, Differential drop, Removed sway bar Rear: TSB springs, Wheeler's 1.5" AAL, 5100's, 2* shims, Carrier bearing drop, F and R Spidertrax, 285/75-16 Goodyear Duratracs, Self-fabbed sliders, rear bumper, and skid plates, Cobra 75 CB, Bed lined slim lo-pro tool box, Bed Extender, Diff breather mod, Two tail gate security mods, Exhaust dumped behind axle, Can't leave shit alone so plenty more coming...
    I'm a teacher and yes, nearly every aspect of it is worse than the past.

Many negative effects are caused by the education system while others are caused by society in general.

The education system has been completely overwhelmed by data and money. While they'd never admit it, the system does not have the kids' best interests in mind. All big decisions are based on even bigger financial contracts, period.

The system puts all the blame of uneducated youth on the teachers. Teachers are held more accountable and are far more educated and trained than they ever have been in the past. Yet kids know less and less each year. Maybe we're not the problem?

US society in general has become a finger pointing, "It's not my fault." batch of fat, spoiled, lazy brats. Both the kids and the parents take no responsibility for anything. Worst part, not only do they do it, they're actually proud of it!

There are still good kids and parents out there. Unfortunately, I just see less of them each year.

I can take an apathetic approach and still get my paycheck. The truly sad part is that the innocent kids are the ones really paying the price and getting screwed here.

4. Mar 15, 2010 at 8:33 AM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    We all are affected by this. I sell real estate. I tell most everyone (with kid's or not) "Buy the best school district that you can afford." Responsibility, respect and discipline cuts into all aspects of life. People that blame others will end up blaming the innocent as well as the guilty. Yeah there are problems in good school districts - Good schools typically come from good environments and a very healthy dose of responsibility, respect and discipline to all of the people involved.

Peer pressure effects more than one knows (at all age levels) - if there is a car on someones lawn and no one says anything - more cars pop up. Same thing in schools - one kid is allowed to get high in the bathroom - more show up. About 20 years ago I heard of two unrelated studies that were not aware of each other (I think it was Boston and LA). The researchers hypothesized that the lack of success of inner city minorities were a result of single parent homes. The conclusion of both of them independently was that the biggest influence was the peer pressure not to buy into the white man's world and how doing homework etc was just doing the 'white' thing. Pretty damn sad - and that message permeates so many things in our culture on ALL levels.

Teacher's unions are a good example of this - what do they fight for? Good Schools? Discipline? Responsibility? Respect? No. Self preservation - yes.

5. Mar 15, 2010 at 9:00 AM
    BirdTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Front (2.75" total): 1.6" Eibach coils, Toytec 0.5" (L) & 0.25" (R) top plate spacers, 5100's @ 0.85", Built Right uniball UCA's, Differential drop, Removed sway bar Rear: TSB springs, Wheeler's 1.5" AAL, 5100's, 2* shims, Carrier bearing drop, F and R Spidertrax, 285/75-16 Goodyear Duratracs, Self-fabbed sliders, rear bumper, and skid plates, Cobra 75 CB, Bed lined slim lo-pro tool box, Bed Extender, Diff breather mod, Two tail gate security mods, Exhaust dumped behind axle, Can't leave shit alone so plenty more coming...
    This is true but you will find fewer and fewer "best school districts". Politicians who know nothing about education and corporations who only care about the financial aspect of education have become the "shot callers". They are pushing for a standardized (easier for them to control) education system sold to the masses on the premise that one way, their way, is what works best for all kids regardless of region, race, religion, or socio-economic status. The "one size fits all" attitude is guaranteed to fail in any aspect of life, not just education.

Nowadays what makes one district better than another is the parents. Involved families make or break the deal. This is sadly directly related to socio-economic status. Wealthy schools perform better. It's not because they have more money for computers and copy paper. It's because the parents care more and frequently have more time to be involved. I'm not saying that wealthy people care more about their kids. I'd venture the other way and say that people who care more, and their kids, are statistically more likely to end up financially stable because they came from a solid base.

True, but don't dog them alone. EVERY institutions', perhaps with the exception of a few non-profit organizations, main goals are self-preservation, power, profit, or some combination of all three. Hopefully, they accidentally accomplish some good things along the journey.

Your industry is equally guilty of this. It is at least partially responsible for driving the country into the economic mess we are currently sitting in. Short term profit gain in the housing bubble. Anyone with half a brain knew a crash was going to follow the spike, owners were going to be stuck in their houses, and people making $40,000 or less were going to fail on paying exotic loans on $500,000+ houses, etc.

6. Mar 15, 2010 at 10:04 AM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    Well having worked for and managed some of 'corporations' there are many that are very responsible and employ many. I also went to a school (due to my father's dedication that 'education was more important than comfort' - he drove 2 hours to work each way so that his kids could go to the best public school he could find and afford. I am grateful. (Montgomery Township in Skillman NJ - still produces some of the highest SAT scores) - I am more than okay with pushing standardized education. The basics. I think so many people think that their addenda is more important than the basics. It's like our physical fitness - caloric discipline, running, sit-ups, push-ups will get you one of the healthiest bodies you can find. Education is very similar - teach them how to write, do math, science etc - keep politics to a minimum and you will be teaching them not subjects but the ability to reason, learn and think. I had a calculus instructor that told us one time - "You will never do one of these equations in real life - there will be computers (this was 1979) that will do this for you. You will, however use this thought process the rest of your life!"

I would say it is much deeper than just parents - community which in my opinion stretches into neighborhoods, politicians, media, etc. - I go back to responsibility, etc. and the ability to communicate and not get ones feelings hurt while being pelted by a different view - kind of what some consider our discussion here. The biggest challenge is for people to admit how they have influenced our children and control what they have and how they use that control/influence.

Peace! I know there are good in everything - yes everything - It's just that some of the bad tends to get ignored because of some of the good.

I couldn't agree more and I am one that desires JAIL for those that are guilty. And voting out of office some of the thought process that got us to this point - both sides. Everyone makes choices - some good - some bad - some bad that they want others to hold the bag - I don't like that. If I f up let me pay for it. I will learn and win again. I have lost much more money than I would like to remember. I too, have learned from that and now I feel I am stronger from it - I know what it feels like to go on a 27 hour walk on the beach and wonder if life is worth living. I worked with the homeless for a year to get my head back on straight.

I only have one client that got screwed on this deal and that was someone that - after they bought, they refinanced and decided to pickup a new SUV, motor-home, and motorcycles and then got laid off. Call me a dick but if someone is placing themselves in jeopardy I choose not to work with them. If someone wants to sell where they will make money I go through a number of exercises to make sure they have at least basic tools to not squander the money. Like your job I can only control the time they are in my presence.

I take my fiduciary responsibilities very seriously. - I always have and it has gotten me in trouble before and I am okay with that type of 'trouble.'

Thanks

7. Mar 15, 2010 at 10:22 AM
    BirdTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    I agree with you way, way, way more than I disagree. However, standardizing education and making sure everyone knows fundamental reading, writing, math, etc. are two very, very different things.

I agree with you here too. I was using the parents as an example of one of the causes.

That's his own damn fault. You shouldn't feel any guilt on that one. Unfortunately, there weren't more people like you at the time.

8. Mar 15, 2010 at 10:25 AM
    HBMurphy

HBMurphy Ban Pending

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    So California Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Off Road Delete Model
    None
    I would go back to discipline - most of the whores in my biz are in deep financial doo too!

I enjoyed our banter - now let's both help make someone better today! :D

9. Mar 15, 2010 at 10:30 AM
    BirdTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Yeah, I'd better get back to teaching. I think a kid just fell asleep. It must be the time change, it certainly can't be my fault.:)

10. Mar 15, 2010 at 10:31 AM
    James3492

James3492 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    EAST COUNTY
    Black-out Tail lights Painted Rims & Hood Scoop
    haha.. Thats so True. This country is getting dumber and dumber. Its all about who's number 1.

11. Mar 15, 2010 at 11:00 AM
    BirdTRD

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Like I said, I could take the apathetic approach of "Just tell me where to stand." and still walk away with a paycheck.

My complaint is for the kids. They're the ones ultimately paying the price.

To Top