1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Being turned away from dealer because of lift? Look at these pics!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Jpwarrior, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Jan 9, 2011 at 5:04 PM

10.21 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dillon
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Black V6 Sport
    BHLM, Satoshi, Remove Mud Flaps, Debadge.
    I told the dealer that the number one reason I a purchasing the truck is to mod it out. She told me as long as I don't touch anything in the engine, the warranty will cover it...still plan to mod the engine though...

2. Jan 9, 2011 at 5:07 PM
    LEDsolutions

LEDsolutions Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dealers do not do the install, I always see the lifted tacos and tundras being worked on at the san jose 4 wheel parts

3. Jan 9, 2011 at 5:17 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Again, theoretically things could run the gamut. You hope for the best and plan for the worst.

4. Jan 9, 2011 at 5:40 PM
    05Moose

05Moose Middle-Aged Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    In the snow (NorCal)
    Vehicle:
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 #8 (LSD, Tow Pkg)
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s (.85), Owned: 12/3/04 Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Switch, Washable Cabin Air Filter
    The reason the pics were posted were because dealers/toyota refuse to deal with the defective front differential needle bearing. It wears in the truck at stock height, but the moment it's lifted you can feel the bad bearing. Toyota denies it as "the truck is lifted" even though their bearings are wearing while at stock. Some dealers and toyota reps have covered the failing bearings even with lifts on the trucks, other dealers/toyota reps won't cover it. So the thought behind this thread was to point out that the dealers are selling them with lifts which makes toyota's point of not covering anything in any of the suspension or drivetrain components due to a lift kind of a mute point. Pointing it out to toyota might put them in enough of a bind to have to cover the defective bearings. After all, they're not failing BECAUSE of the lift. The lift immediately helps you diagnose the defective parts in their front differential. The failing front differential bearings are a common problem with the 2nd Gen and a more common problem with the Tundra.

5. Jan 9, 2011 at 5:40 PM
    Johns Taco

Johns Taco I'm not 4x4, and have an open diff. So i'm 4x1

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    05 DSM Base SR5 Slug Taco
    Full custom stereo, onboard air compressor, train horns, spacer lift, 30" tires, optima yellow top, rear slider window & tailgate anti-theft mod, pop & lock, class 3 tow hitch, lights in bed, Ultra Gauge, Weather Tech mats, yellow fog lights, camper top, air lift rear airbags, rear diff breather mod, soon to be more...
    Waranties are built around the vehicle they sold you in the condition they sold you. I thought is was common knowledge that once you tear your truck up {modifications}, it voids your waranty. Maybe i'm just a dumbass, but I definitely wouldn't heavily modify my truck [like the ones I seen in this forum] and then take it to the dealer saying their product failed. Everyone in this forum knows your rolling the dice when you start modding.
    P.S. I do not work for a dealer or ever have. I just know better.

6. Jan 9, 2011 at 5:43 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides. Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Big Easy, USA
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit Upcoming: ATO Gas Tank Skid and Sliders w/ kickout. ATO Shackle Flip Kit. Down the line: Front/Rear ARB Lockers w/ OBA. 4.56 Gears
    I would argue the bolded part with you. There is NO reason that a highly modified SUSPENSION would negate warranty coverage on the ELECTRICAL system. PAINT/FINISH issues are not effected by aftermarket ENGINE mods.

Read about the Moss Maggnuson Act, lest you make a decision to skip a mod you want because you are worried about voiding your warranty.

On the same token- Just because a dealership sells something doesn't mean it automatically is the "right" answer. Those might be 1/2 decent lifts...but the majority of "dealer" installed lifts I've seen- Spacer lifts that cost upwards of $1200 (yes...for a 200-300 dollar max product.

7. Jan 9, 2011 at 5:44 PM
    MountainEarth

MountainEarth Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD OR Access
    Leer 100XR Shell, BedRug mat - comfy sleeping, GT Covers microfiber seat covers, BFG All Terrains 265/70r16, Dashmat, Antennax 13" shorty antenna, Weathertech liners, Ultra Gauge, Avid Light Bar, PIAA 520 ATPs, one old dog
    I remember my local dealership had a Tacoma DC TRD fully loaded and lifted like the one in the pic. It also had a nice cab height shell on it. They wanted $38,000+ sticker.

8. Jan 9, 2011 at 5:46 PM
    Drunknsloth

Drunknsloth Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares

Member:
    First Name:
    Retribution
    South West
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Access V6 6-Speed
    Blacked-Out Badges; Retribution Decals (Sockmonkey); Tailgate Mod; Red LED Rear Blinkers; Yellow Foglights; Yellow Front Blinkers; Superwhite Xenon Corner Bulb; Leer Bedcap; Bedrug Bedmat; Black Cupholders; Black Plastic Piece Around Window Controls; Plasti-Dip Front Bumper Valence; Plasti-Dip Grill Surround; Blackout Chrome Back Bumper; Metal Miller Skid-Plate; Aero Turbine 2525 Muffler; TSB Rear Leaf Springs and Shocks; Satoshi Grill Pending; Off-Roading Torn off Mirror (Replaced); Blue-Sea Fuse Box; Tinted Tail Lights; URD Short Shifter; Interior Mood Lighting; Hood Lights; BedLights Pending
    I've talked to dealers and they say if they sell you the truck with the procomp lift they will warranty it up to I think 3" of lift. They also said that if you brought your tacoma in to lift it at the dealer it would not void the warranty up to 3" of lift. What I don't understand is why they would have 4 Wheel Parts lift it and not cover the warranty.

Im pretty sure the wheels are ProComp Wheels

9. Jan 9, 2011 at 5:49 PM
    rbeezy

rbeezy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma SR5
    nice. how much they hittin for?

10. Jan 9, 2011 at 5:55 PM
    Drunknsloth

Drunknsloth Indffrnce will be the fall of manknd but who cares

Member:
    First Name:
    Retribution
    South West
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 Access V6 6-Speed
    Blacked-Out Badges; Retribution Decals (Sockmonkey); Tailgate Mod; Red LED Rear Blinkers; Yellow Foglights; Yellow Front Blinkers; Superwhite Xenon Corner Bulb; Leer Bedcap; Bedrug Bedmat; Black Cupholders; Black Plastic Piece Around Window Controls; Plasti-Dip Front Bumper Valence; Plasti-Dip Grill Surround; Blackout Chrome Back Bumper; Metal Miller Skid-Plate; Aero Turbine 2525 Muffler; TSB Rear Leaf Springs and Shocks; Satoshi Grill Pending; Off-Roading Torn off Mirror (Replaced); Blue-Sea Fuse Box; Tinted Tail Lights; URD Short Shifter; Interior Mood Lighting; Hood Lights; BedLights Pending
  11. Jan 9, 2011 at 6:30 PM
    Johns Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    Full custom stereo, onboard air compressor, train horns, spacer lift, 30" tires, optima yellow top, rear slider window & tailgate anti-theft mod, pop & lock, class 3 tow hitch, lights in bed, Ultra Gauge, Weather Tech mats, yellow fog lights, camper top, air lift rear airbags, rear diff breather mod, soon to be more...
    Lol, the first thing I modded is my stereo [electical], at full volume my current stereo can draw 260 amps continuos. Like all of you, I did something outside of the service bays of Toyota. I just don't expect them to do shit because of this. On the other hand I bought a Tacoma because I don't expect anything to go wrong. AND IT HASN'T.

12. Jan 9, 2011 at 6:43 PM
    Johns Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    Furthermore about this subject. This stereo I have that can draw 260 amps of current at full volume continuously should have destroyed my alternator years ago. I installed the biggest Yellow Top Optima battery they make and the alternator on my 05 4cyl {which has a much less current output than the V-6} has been doing fine for 3 years. Quit bashing the dealers when you tear your truck up. I tore mine up the right way and its been fine. lol

13. Jan 9, 2011 at 6:49 PM
    wtbthree

wtbthree Give 'er

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    SC'ed 2010 DC
    3" Revtek lift, 17" FJ rims, 285 BFG KO's, sunroof, TRD piping, Wickedflow muffler, Avid step rails TRD supercharger,
  14. Jan 9, 2011 at 9:08 PM
    michaelg589

michaelg589 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dealerships can refuse anything they want. Dont assume this "rule" will always hold true. They may not be able to prove it, but you can't prove it didnt either.

15. Jan 9, 2011 at 9:13 PM
    michaelg589

michaelg589 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Also, to the OP, those trucks that you have pictured are warrantied because the dealership and the mod shop worked out an agreement to do these modifications. The dealer will hold the shop responsible for anything that goes wrong with their work and the dealer will still warranty everything else through Toyota.

Anyone elses mods could have been done by some retard for all they know. So how could they warranty it? The dealer knows who did the mods on those trucks in the pictures and knows they are reputable and they will honor any problem because of whatever contract they arranged.

16. Jan 9, 2011 at 9:57 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Locker, Yaesu FT 8900 Ham Radio
    You guys don't get it.

Part of the reason the "Dealer Services International" lift package is so expensive is that they're providing both indemnification (protection against lawsuits) and also warranty coverage on ALL the parts - even the parts that would be voided/questionable on the Toyota warranty as part of the lift.

Don't believe me?

http://www.dealerservicesint.com/warranty

17. Jan 9, 2011 at 10:08 PM
    woody6047

woody6047 McGrubber

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    Austin/ Waco Texas
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma 4x4 dc
    100%stock, except for the exhaust leak and custom windshield crack mod
    One of my buddies just bought a tundra from a dealer with a 6in Pro comp, he likes the shit out of it and it runs good. Came with 35's too

18. Jan 9, 2011 at 10:16 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Tallahassee FL
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prerunner TRD Off Road
    265/75/16 BFG A/T, 18" Magnaflow, K&N Intake Filter, Ultra-Gauge, Kobalt Toolbox, Metal Tail Light Guards, Cobra 19 and 4ft fiberglass antenna, Plasti dipped Badges/lower valance/rear bumper/grill/bullbar/ac controls, black DIN kit, JVC KD-X40, Wet Suit Seat Covers
    That Taco looks awesome, the Tundra not so much.

The other night I was thinking, a reg cab 5.7 Tundra with a SAS would be badass..

To Top