1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

benbenww 2014 AC Build Thread

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Builds (2005-2015)' started by benbenww, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Sep 10, 2020 at 3:44 PM
    benbenww

benbenww [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma 4x4 AC
    I got tired of going on camping trips and stressing about all the gear left open in the bed while I ran in for groceries or wanted to go on a hike. Tonneau covers haven't worked with bed racks in the past, but Yakima's new Overhaul HD setup mates up with the Retrax XR series. It's a $$$ combo, and tough to swallow when I already have a setup that mostly works, but I didn't see another option so I went ahead and replaced a perfectly good bed rack.

Bringing it home.
    [​IMG]

Assembling the Retrax.
    [​IMG]

Switching out the Thule XSporter Pro for Yakima Overhaul HD. Alu-Cab tents are not lightweight, so it took a few neighbors to help with lifting.
    [​IMG]

And the fully assembled retractable tonneau cover that operates seamlessly with a bed rack.
    [​IMG]

I should note that the weight capacity is severely decreased with the bed rack attaching to the tonneau cover. The rack is typically rated for 300 pounds in offroad driving situations, but when attached to the tonneau rails it drops to only 180 pounds offroad. I talked to the folks at Yakima and they said the decrease is due to the aluminum channels of the tonneau cover failing in off camber situations. Retrax said they send out new side rails if they deform. Until I feel a little more comfortable carrying the amount of weight I have, I think I'll stick to Forest Service Roads and the easy routes in sand dunes. In the meantime, I now have no worries leaving my camping gear locked in the bed at trailheads and grocery stores.

kidsmoke likes this.
  2. Mar 7, 2023 at 1:45 PM
    NoFear9491

NoFear9491 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Boston, MA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Magnetic Grey Tacoma AC
    Small stuff but not for long!
    Thread Revival; Any squeaks in the leafs after all this time?

Products Discussed in

To Top